Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 05:59 PM

521 posts, read 991,152 times

Advertisements

The other day when I was in the attic I noticed small sunrays on my hand and when I looked up I saw small (maybe 1/8 inch) gaps between HVAC metal vent and the roof. I have attached two pics

How can I close this gap? Would something like Great Stuff Gap Filler Insulating Foam Sealant be a good idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Sealing gap near attic vent in roof-img_20150806_152211423-721x1280-.jpg   Sealing gap near attic vent in roof-img_20150806_152143738-721x1280-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 07:31 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
It doesn't need to be sealed.
If you go look at the exterior you should see a collar around the flue just above the boot- that keeps the weather out.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It doesn't need to be sealed.
If you go look at the exterior you should see a collar around the flue just above the boot- that keeps the weather out.
Thank you K'ledgeBldr. Its always informative to see your responses. I just did a google and found that "B Vent Storm Collar" to be similar to what I have above this vent on the roof.

However, if sunrays can come in won't water be able to come? For now I have tied rag clothes around the vent to prevent water (if any) from dripping on the HVAC unit in the attic.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:06 AM

If there's no trace of water (watermarks) running down the flue its NOT LEAKING.

And if you want to take a chance of burning down your house this winter- leave the rags tied to the flue! Seriously, what the Hell were you thinking?

Old 08-24-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If there's no trace of water (watermarks) running down the flue its NOT LEAKING.

And if you want to take a chance of burning down your house this winter- leave the rags tied to the flue! Seriously, what the Hell were you thinking?
I will remove it tonight right away. Was not aware it is a fire hazard. Thanks a ton. Thank god you told me before it was too late !!

Old 08-24-2015, 01:33 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
You might want to check the storm collar. This acts like an umbrella to keep rain water from the connection just above the roof. If there is light coming in, it might not be sealed correctly which can allow rain water to eventually start leaking in.

How to Fix a Leaky Gas Flue Roof Vent - Part 2

Rutland Products High Heat Silicone (76) - High Heat Sealants & Patches - Ace Hardware

Old 08-24-2015, 04:14 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
Yes, go on the roof to inspect the pipe, flashing(s), and termination. If you are not comfortable going up on your roof, have someone capable do it. You don't want water running down that pipe onto or into the equipment or elsewhere.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 AM

OP here. The HVAC guys (they had installed the new system around 6 months back) came and added some high temperature sealant (as some of you had mentioned). Thanks a lot to all of you. They did not go on the roof so the suspicion about loose or improperly installed collar still remains.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
OP here. The HVAC guys (they had installed the new system around 6 months back) came and added some high temperature sealant (as some of you had mentioned). Thanks a lot to all of you. They did not go on the roof so the suspicion about loose or improperly installed collar still remains.
The sealant did not cure the issue completely. During yesterday's rains, notice water coming in minute drops. So back to square one.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Not back to sq/1- you never made it to sq/2.

You have 3 integral parts- the flue pipe, the roof boot, and the rain collar.
The flue pipe is directly connected to the furnace; it expands and contracts accordingly with the use of heat. The boot on the other hand expands and contracts with exposure to the exterior air temperature and direct sunlight. So those two parts will move at different times and in different directions. That is why they are not "connected".

The rain collar fits securely to the flue pipe directly above the boot. If there is too much gap between the collar and the boot it is possible to get a little rain/water running down the pipe- especially if its a driving rain. It's also possible that at certain times of the day the angle of the sun would shed a beam of light through the slight opening between the pipe and the boot. But this would be highly unlikely if the collar was in the right location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House