Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
For an old style machine, get a Speed Queen. I bought one last fall as I thought they were going more "government" in 2015, but I don't think they have. The water level has been regulated but it can be adjusted. No electronics. 25 minute wash. And a bonus - the clothes are clean!
^^^^^^^just bought one of these. Built like they used to make them. Heavy duty and made in USA^^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is all true. CR does, however, offer about the only objective product testing for appliances. I tend to look more at the "raw data" they present in graphics, than on their "top pick" because like you I value certain traits more than others.

When it comes to cars, frequently enthusiast publications have more useful info than CR. One thing I can use though is to look back on their "recommended" and "not recommended" used cars, particularly the older models. Here they are basing their judgment on reader surveys, actual data from real world use. And even here I don't give a lot of weight to small differences - but in general cars from their "rules" bin are better cars overall than ones from their "sux" bin.
Yes but there are so many models they don't test. Speed Queen is one of them

Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
When I managed more property... one of the owners had bought cheap washer dryer pairs... like under $400 for the pair... I think they were Roper if I remember...

You know those basic machines were really bullet proof... 3 cycles and 3 water levels.

As to Electrolux... I still have my Grandmother's 1930 Electrolux Vacuum and that I use regularly... over 75 years and the same bag fits all... now that is engineering!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:32 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
LG. Got the front load water. Uses less water and does an AMAZING job. This is also a "turbo mode" if you hate waiting.
"Turbo Wash" is enabled on the most common cycles and gets a load done in 28 minutes. So much for front load HE washers taking forever to wash a load of clothes. Sears sells the same washer as a Kenmore and their minor tweaks might make it an even better machine.

People don't do their research and end up dissatisfied. Wow, what a surprise. I knew the LG had a standard 28 minute wash cycle when I bought it. Also knew I could do a load at 160F if I needed. Washer has lived up to all my expectations and I'd buy the exact same model if I had to do it again.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
So far I am considering the GE 3.9 cubic feet

Or a whirlpool 3.6 cubic feet

Recommendations please!! My crappy Samsung he washer doesn't clean clothes, in order to get clothes somewhat clean it needs the max amount of water and takes 2 hours to wash clothes.

Lowes wants me to exchange thru them but not sure if there are brands available elsewhere and maybe I should just do a return and leave it at that.

My husband is leery of buying off craigslist due to the fact that years ago the washer we bought off craigslist crapped out on us.

I don't want high efficiency. Tell me the brands/models you love that are regular "agitator" style! Please and thank you
We have two new Kenmore washer driers. OK. Not a glamorous brand to some. But they do the job well. And they look good.

My parents and their parents relied on Kenmore products. That would be my suggestion. Our dishwasher is also a sleekly designed and quiet Kenmore. We are impressed.

I happen to trust Sears and the Kenmore brand.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:18 AM

287 posts, read 327,140 times
Maytag still makes old-style ringer washers... I have an aunt and uncle who are missionaries in Africa and they just bought one. I've had a Samsung front-loading HE washer for years and it's given me no problems whatsoever- but we don't have hard water.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:02 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,958 times
We have owned 2 W/D sets in 27 years. First was a Kenmore. Second was LG front-load set. We had about $250 invested in minor repairs over the lifetime of both sets. The Kenmore set was still working well when we bought the LG set. Gave the Kenmore set to our adult son...what he did with it...who knows?

If you are worried about break downs, buy a home warranty that includes appliance coverage instead of the extended warranty the store tries to sell you.

I wish I had an answer on detergents, but don't know the real difference between the major brands. I switch periodically to see if there is a different result, and have yet to see anything attributable to the detergent.

I do use vinegar and baking soda monthly to run through the washer. It does kill odor and muck build up around the door seal.

Whirlpool makes several brands, including Kenmore. Nothing Samsung or GE makes nowadays impresses me. GE in-fridge icemakers suck. My mother's Whirlpool fridge cranks out ice and replenishes at least 2x faster than my overpriced, new $2.7k GE Profile. Sorry for the diversion, but simply making the point that brands get reputations for more than one product line.

Kenmore, Whirlpool and LG are all good stuff. Again, protect yourself with a home warranty with appliance endorsement--after the mfr warranty expires, anything can happen with today's quality products.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Anyone have input or thoughts on this?? It is a top loading kenmore but no agitator

http://m.sears.com/kenmore-4.3-cu-ft...p-02625132000P
That's the one, or very similar to the one I just got a few months back. So far, it's fine. I do not check water levels once it's going, the door is "locked," and I figure it's locked for a reason. Just let it do its job. Yes, it does take forever. Not sure what everyone is referring to when they mean clothes are not clean? Like the stains do not come out? They smell bad?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:55 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
So far I am considering the GE 3.9 cubic feet

Or a whirlpool 3.6 cubic feet

Recommendations please!! My crappy Samsung he washer doesn't clean clothes, in order to get clothes somewhat clean it needs the max amount of water and takes 2 hours to wash clothes.

Lowes wants me to exchange thru them but not sure if there are brands available elsewhere and maybe I should just do a return and leave it at that.

My husband is leery of buying off craigslist due to the fact that years ago the washer we bought off craigslist crapped out on us.

I don't want high efficiency. Tell me the brands/models you love that are regular "agitator" style! Please and thank you
Can't help you on the agitator style, since I wouldn't own one. We are about 1 year into a Maytag Maxima X front loader, and it is a great washer. It does an excellent job of cleaning, and doesn't beat the clothes to death like a top loader. IIRC, it was about $750 through a local appliance dealer.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:07 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
After all kinds of issues with high-priced front loaders and the new breed of top loads with multiple "features" I downgraded to a Roper washer (and dryer) two years ago which goes for the princely sum of $329. It's a workhorse and have had zero issues thanks largely I think to the lack of electronic bells and whistles. I liked it so much I bought the matching dryer ($349). Roper is owned by Whirlpool and utilizes much the same machinery minus the bling. As an FYI most appliance big-box stores don't mention/advertise they carry Roper as I'm sure they'd rather sell what's become the piece of junk $800-$1000 models that live just beyond their 2 to 3 year extended warranty...

http://www.roperappliances.com/appli...ppliance=90100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House