Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 07:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

The only adjoining room is the kitchen, which is a step up (the TV room is part of an addition and for some reason they made it 1 step lower than the main part of the house). The kitchen also has carpet (WHO would think that is a good idea?!! ), which is absolutely disgusting -- I will be putting vinyl there TEMPORARILY until I remodel the kitchen in a few years (the kitchen/dining room will likely be combined into 1 large room -- I don't want to spend a whole lot on kitchen flooring now, I just want something easy to clean).

You might just put vinyl in the kitchen and tv room together. Sheet vinyl is supposed to be the best for areas where there will be spills (no cracks or seams make cleaning up after pets easier) and it has more cushion than tile, so it wouldn't be unpleasant in the kitchen. I hate my ceramic tile in the kitchen, I always thought I wanted it but it hurts. I have little squishy mats by every counter and the stove so I can stand to cook in there.

We're looking at this kind of vinyl for my parents' bedroom: TrafficMASTER Teak Plank 13.2 ft. Wide Vinyl Sheet-C4340.195C742P158 - The Home Depot They have laminate or tile in the rest of the house but my dad is incontinent and they need a floor designed for easy cleanup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Karen

Since your goal is to eventually remodel so the TV room and the kitchen become one room, than it would be wise not to spend much money on what will be temporary flooring. As the kitchen is also carpeted and you want that changed, I would suggest some sort of sheet vinyl product in both rooms for now. It is reasonably priced and fairly easy to work with especially if you have or can install shoe molding to hide the sins along the edges.

You could always add some inexpensive indoor/outdoor area rugs to cozy up the TV room. If they get puked on, then just hose them down and let them dry.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:12 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You might just put vinyl in the kitchen and tv room together. Sheet vinyl is supposed to be the best for areas where there will be spills (no cracks or seams make cleaning up after pets easier) and it has more cushion than tile, so it wouldn't be unpleasant in the kitchen. I hate my ceramic tile in the kitchen, I always thought I wanted it but it hurts. I have little squishy mats by every counter and the stove so I can stand to cook in there.

We're looking at this kind of vinyl for my parents' bedroom: TrafficMASTER Teak Plank 13.2 ft. Wide Vinyl Sheet-C4340.195C742P158 - The Home Depot They have laminate or tile in the rest of the house but my dad is incontinent and they need a floor designed for easy cleanup.
The TV room will always be different from the kitchen, as the kitchen will be combined (at some point in the future) with the dining room, and the kitchen/dining room are a step up from the TV room (so they seem even more separate, if that makes sense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Karen

Since your goal is to eventually remodel so the TV room and the kitchen become one room, than it would be wise not to spend much money on what will be temporary flooring. As the kitchen is also carpeted and you want that changed, I would suggest some sort of sheet vinyl product in both rooms for now. It is reasonably priced and fairly easy to work with especially if you have or can install shoe molding to hide the sins along the edges.

You could always add some inexpensive indoor/outdoor area rugs to cozy up the TV room. If they get puked on, then just hose them down and let them dry.
That would make sense if the TV room and kitchen were to become one room, but they're not -- it's the kitchen and DINING ROOM that will be remodeled later to become one room (not sure what flooring I will choose then). So the laminate in the TV room (if I go for it, which I likely will) will be "permanent," or as permanent as these things go. The vinyl in the kitchen is just temporary until the kitchen/dining room remodel.

I forgot to say or do this yesterday so I will now: thanks again for the helpful replies (including these last 2) -- I will rep you all! (TWF46 and CFoulke, I've rep'd you too recently so will have to come back!)

Old 10-05-2015, 01:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
...I am pretty sure I am going to buy it -- my only hesitation is I want to make sure I have plenty of time to install it myself -- I have bought home-improvement stuff in the back only to have it sit for literally years. Don't want that to happen this time!

All you have to do is lay out a few strips -- not even secure them -- just lay them out. I'll bet anything that, once you do, you'll find the product so lovely that you'll make the time to install it ASAP.

The flooring is so lovely that I've bookmarked it for serious consideration when I re-do my floors. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:16 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
All you have to do is lay out a few strips -- not even secure them -- just lay them out. I'll bet anything that, once you do, you'll find the product so lovely that you'll make the time to install it ASAP.

The flooring is so lovely that I've bookmarked it for serious consideration when I re-do my floors. Thanks!
Thank you for the kind comments! You are right, the installation of the floor itself seems very straightforward and I would bet that once I start, I'll be able to finish it pretty quickly. The hard part is moving the furniture, ripping out the carpet, temporarily removing the baseboards, etc., then installing the underlayment and the flooring, then moving the furniture back. Since some of the furniture is really heavy (e.g., a large entertainment center), I suspect I will do the room in "stages" or parts.

BUT back to my original question ... I am laughing at myself for completely forgetting to mention that the TV room is PANELED in knotty pine, something like this (this is not the room itself, but the knotty pine looks the same):

I actually have never minded the knotty pine (especially since it's only in this room), BUT will it look OK with the hickory(-look) floor? The room above looks like it has a different wood for the floor and I think it looks great, but I would hate to start the job and then realize the woods clash badly.

Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House