Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Do you have galvanized pipe?

Almost all the issues I've had are with older homes with galvanized pipe...

Also had problems when water company was doing work in the area and sediment was kicked-up... again, only when there was also low-flow water heads and fixtures.

The worst ones I ended up re-piping with copper all the way from the meter... otherwise I was opening up the valves and flushing every couple of months...

One time I bought a 5 gallon pail of CLR for $140 +/- and circulated it though the pipes with a little pump... it dislodged a lot of junk and the systems ran much better till I started getting leaks... 65 year old galvanized pipe.

You might need to look into a filtration system if the sediment is coming from outside your home and only carried through the pipes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,609 times
I have a kohler single handle shower faucet. I ordered all the o rings and washier from kohler and installed them without any problems but still have a dripping from my shower head. What have I missed?

Old 04-20-2011, 02:32 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
We had that problem. During warmer months the hot water was okay, maybe not hot but very warm which was okay. Then when cold weather started it became semi warm. You had to put the hot water faucet on low to conserve what warm water there was. The mixing valve on top of the oil burner was frozen by lime build up. That mixes hot and cold water to your hot water line. You might also check to see what temp the water is set at and maybe turn it up. I tried Lime Away to clean it off but the valve was still stuck. We finally had a plumber and heating guy come in and replace it for just over a hundred dollars. I couldn't remember what a hot shower was like. Now I've gotten burned a few times and might turn it down a little. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark20002 View Post
I have a kohler single handle shower faucet. I ordered all the o rings and washier from kohler and installed them without any problems but still have a dripping from my shower head. What have I missed?

Probably junk in the valve body itself.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,675 times
Having issues with the Hot water in my upstairs shower, it's Hot and the pressure is Good, but the Hot water doesn't stay Hot for very long..

Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgrapes View Post
Having issues with the Hot water in my upstairs shower, it's Hot and the pressure is Good, but the Hot water doesn't stay Hot for very long..
Vgrapes,

If you have an electric hot water tank, it is possible that the bottom element has burned out, leaving only the top element to heat the water in the tank. The result is you get hot water for a short period of time and then you get lukewarm water.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:00 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Select style manuf plumbing fittings ( single knob for bath / shower )

Sometimes these come from the factory and are installed by the orig builder / plumber with these small plastic limiters that do not allow max hot water to come out. it is a safety feature so kids do not scald themselves while playing in the tub.

I discovered one of them on a new house I bought ( an 18 yo home ). had been on there a loooooooooong time ! Had one of my room mates complain about lack of hot water in the downstairs shower. It stumped for for a day or 2 then I took apart the fitting and saw the small plastic restrictor that prevented it from turning to increase more hot water than just 'average'

Old 03-02-2015, 06:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
If it is hot at first then look to why its running out of hot water such as piping and other hot water being turn on which limits it.Test and if only one on full hot and its runs out I'd look to limited hot water available.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:03 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgrapes View Post

How "long" is long?
And is there this same "shortage" at the sink; or other fixtures in the home?

All this leads back to the WH! If its only "that" shower- it's probably that fixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House