Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 01:14 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,245,366 times

Advertisements

You can go online and see many good videos on how to put out kitchen fires (like these): https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDMCNL. However; I started this thread for hints on how to save yourself from pain or worse when using standard kitchen tools and stoves.

I just made two batches of French fries in one little FryDaddy. I like to always cut up our fries and put them directly into a stainless steel bowl and cover them with water. While I know that water can cause hot grease to splatter; it is also an immediate remedy for any hot grease burn. I do not put the bowl over the FryDaddy as I put the fries into the hot oil - but I do have it close to immediately douse my fingers in if I do get hot grease on me. Speed is of the essences in avoiding painful burns. The sooner, within just the first seconds, that you can get your hands/fingers into water; the less likely you are of suffering any burns or pain. Of course you could use one large spoon or tongs to place the fries into the grease and that would probably be safer.

Here is one link to a Canadian OSHA website, similar to ours: Emergency Showers and Eyewash Stations : OSH Answers. It talks about the quick use of emergency eyewash stations and showers in an industrial setting. I quote from that article: "The first 10 to 15 seconds after exposure to a hazardous substance, especially a corrosive substance, are critical. Delaying treatment, even for a few seconds, may cause serious injury." While this is in any workplace that uses hazardous materials; the same is true for the kitchen. The longer you wait to treat burns, cuts, chemical burns; the more pain and more damage your body can suffer. Actually chemical burns usually give the victim more time to respond than scalding grease.

Having a game plan is important. What should I do if this happens? Should I throw water or baking soda on a fire? How quick can I run cold water over my hand or fingers? How do I deal with a severe cut? How should I communicate the risk to my family and should I have drills?

Please feel free to jump in with any advice that could save others pain and suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:11 PM

16,411 posts, read 30,394,613 times
^^^

Wouldn't it just be easier to be more careful when you place raw foods into a fryer?

I have fried ten thousand pieces of chicken and thousands of baskets of french fries without a even a monor injury. If you incur a small burn, run it under water.

If you have a kitchen fire, always use baking SODA ***NOT WATER*** do douse the fire. Or if you want to be very prepared, buy an ABC fire extinguisher and keep it near the stove.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:48 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,782,830 times
Common sense goes a long way!

Old 08-03-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
^^^

Wouldn't it just be easier to be more careful when you place raw foods into a fryer?

I have fried ten thousand pieces of chicken and thousands of baskets of french fries without a even a monor injury. If you incur a small burn, run it under water.

If you have a kitchen fire, always use baking SODA ***NOT WATER*** do douse the fire. Or if you want to be very prepared, buy an ABC fire extinguisher and keep it near the stove.
I have fried many times without painful burns. I do attribute that to fast action - I got to cold water quick. However; I have only had minor spills and splashed that I had to deal with. Yes; I keep a fire extinguisher close and know about baking soda.

I simply started the thread for people to think or to help others.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:27 AM

9,372 posts, read 14,215,698 times
My knife block has horizontal slits for the big knives. I always make sure to orient the blades the same way, so grabbing one quickly to chop won't have me pushing down on the sharp blade. Just a little thing.

And yes, everyone needs an ABC fire extinguisher in the kitchen. For a grease, paper or electrical fire. Remember, aim at the bottom of the flame! For a beginning fire in a pan, put the lid on it. Fire loves oxygen/air.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:41 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,060,653 times
We had an ABC fire extinguisher next to the stove. The one time something caught on fire, the flames were to hot to get to the extinguisher. Luckily we had bakingsode in a cabinet nearby (we also have a second extinguisher in the pantry, but we forgot about it. It was not a big fire, just some food (oil) in a pan that caught fire, but it was very very hot.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,925,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have fried many times without painful burns. I do attribute that to fast action - I got to cold water quick. However; I have only had minor spills and splashed that I had to deal with. Yes; I keep a fire extinguisher close and know about baking soda.

I simply started the thread for people to think or to help others.
If the fry daddy is splattering oil on your hands, maybe get a BBQ glove that protects your hands to 500 degrees. The oil is going to be cooler than 500.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
If the fry daddy is splattering oil on your hands, maybe get a BBQ glove that protects your hands to 500 degrees. The oil is going to be cooler than 500.
I really do not have any problems because I have cold water close. I have been making them the same way for a very, very long time - my wife has always loved homemade French fries.

Yes; I could probably do everything in a safer manner. But what I am really promoting is to think of backup plans and to prepare for the worse. Like I originally stated: speed is of the essences when dealing with these emergencies. You also have to make the right decision and many are not prepared to do that - they simply never even thought of what to do.

Like OSHA points out in the link in my opening: the first 10 to 15 seconds of an exposure to a strong chemical are most important seconds. Those seconds determine whether you will have scar tissue of even if you will loose your vision. But hot grease and cooking oils don't even give a person that long to react - you have but just the first few seconds and then you are going to be in pain. Of course the pain and tissue damage will be worse the longer you wait. So, if nothing else, some will read and plan before the next time they use their 'familiar' kitchen tools.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:40 AM

22,715 posts, read 47,929,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

I just made two batches of French fries in one little FryDaddy. I like to always cut up our fries and put them directly into a stainless steel bowl and cover them with water. While I know that water can cause hot grease to splatter; it is also an immediate remedy for any hot grease burn. I do not put the bowl over the FryDaddy as I put the fries into the hot oil - but I do have it close to immediately douse my fingers in if I do get hot grease on me. Speed is of the essences in avoiding painful burns.
Even better is avoiding the burns in the first place!

Back in the days of our FryDaddy (the 80s!), we lowered the fries in with a steel slotted spoon.
No chance of burning for fingers, no need for a bowl of water to be nearby.
The same spoon was used to scoop out the fries when done.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!.
A little precaution before a crisis occurs is preferable to a lot of fixing up afterward.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Even better is avoiding the burns in the first place!

Back in the days of our FryDaddy (the 80s!), we lowered the fries in with a steel slotted spoon.
No chance of burning for fingers, no need for a bowl of water to be nearby.
The same spoon was used to scoop out the fries when done.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!.
A little precaution before a crisis occurs is preferable to a lot of fixing up afterward.
I'm not disagreeing with that statement. I just want people to think of: what if!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House