Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
SXN SXN started this thread

350 posts, read 1,289,300 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on renovating our bathroom and need to replace our old 1950's cabinet. Can anyone reccomend me a place I can buy a tall medicine cabinet? (68-75 inches in height and about 15" width). My contractor suggested Robern, but the cheapest they have is about two grand. I was hoping there is something out there for a less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Is this an inset medicine cabinet? If so, why not just have your contractor modify the existing hole to fit the new cabinet of your choice rather than trying to exactly match the dimensions of your old cabinet?

Old 02-22-2011, 05:42 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Kitchen cabinet...

I would use a standard box cabinet from any manufacturer. No need to to stick with just specialized medicine cabinet. If you need mirror any glass shop can create something that'll work.

$2k seems about three times what I would budget for something like this.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is this an inset medicine cabinet? If so, why not just have your contractor modify the existing hole to fit the new cabinet of your choice rather than trying to exactly match the dimensions of your old cabinet?
It is inset and we can modify the existing hole. It's just trying to find something to put in the hole that is challenging. We found some kitchen cabinets that we can put in there but it doesn't have the shelving we'd like or a mirror.

I guess another option is to have our contractor do some carpentry and make something custom.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
That is the biggest medicine cabinet I ever heard of and certainly the most expensive on the face of the earth. I'd almost bet there is no such thing.

It is an oddball size so you can't buy an industry standard cabinet, nor will any major manufacturer modify one to that size. I can't even think of something in any catalog I have to modify to that.

A medicine cabinet is to put bottles that you don't want little kids to get at. At 75" tall that thing is pretty close to the floor. Not sure why you want to do this. If you must, your only choice is to have a skilled cabinet maker or skilled contractor make you one. Good luck with that challenge. It's rare to find skills out there anymore. For every 100 people who call themselves contractors, 99 are quacks.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Not that strange to be at all...

I have seen dozens of Chicago bungalows that have a cabinet like the one the OP is describing. It is smaller than a true linen closet but serves the same function -- bath towels, toilet paper, sundry home health devices stored on lower shelves, shampoo and hair care items on the middle shelf and actual remedies / prescriptions up at eye level. Up top maybe a souvenir bed pan from a long ago hospital stay!

Any halfway decent trim carpenter can setup a *** to drill equally spaced holes in MDF for sides to support shelf. A few dollars worth of hardware will suffice for brackets and hinges. Glass shop will mount mirror to cabinet front. A couple a hundred worth of material and maye two times that for labor / shop time and the hole bill ought not be over $700...

Typical location of this cabinet in the bath of Chicago style bungalow would be in wall that the bathtub is on, positioned so that the door back to the hallway would block it when open. That wall would also hide access to the plumbing stack, so that if (when???) old galvanized pipes would need to be repaired / replaced the whole shebang was fairly easy to remove and reinstall...

Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
How deep can you go? If 12" is possible, then get a 15" wide, shallow depth high cabinet (lop 5" off the height), and inset the whole cabinet in the opening ...
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59869786

... and if the door can overlap 4" on one side, use a mirrored door from their closet series ...
IKEA | Customizable wardrobes | PAX system | PAX VIKEDAL | Door

Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM

What Chet is describing is exactly what we have. Here is a link to the Roberns $2k (so these cabinets do exist, but seem expensive).

Robern MF20D6FRE 70 x 19 Single Door Right Handed Cabinet with Electrical Outlets from the M Series

If I search Google, I pretty much just get these types of hits. Never thought about IKEA. That looks like a good option. Will visit the store this weekend. Just have to figure out a way to get it fastened into the wall. Don't know what is behind the cabinet, but am hoping it is just open space with no plumbing or electrical. Probably use the method Chet describes to secure it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House