Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:43 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times

Advertisements

Are there washers with coils or something that can produce it's own hot water?
I've noticed when I select a hot water wash, the water in the pipes is cold at first and by the time the tub is filled with cold water the hot finally gets there, so I never get a hot wash. My water heater is far from the washer outlets.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,744 times
Do you have a sink near the washer? If so, run the hot water there until it gets hot to get the hot water close, then turn on your washer.

Another option is to get a tankless hot water system and put that in your laundry room. This can get pricey not only to buy but to operate, especially if you get an electric one.

Edit to add: Another option is to do your laundry in a particular sequence. E.g. do your dark colors first that use warm water then do your whites as the last load since the hot water has already been pulled to the room when doing that load of darks.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:19 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Yes, sorta of. The European machines (Miele and Bosch) do have an aux heater to increase the water temp. But you have to make sure you are A) buying one of those units and not just something with the name, and B) those machines tend to be smaller/have less capacity than traditional US appliances.

As for other options, the tankless/in-line option is out as those take quite awhile to initially heat up. Great for extended water use, like 4+ people who want to take looong hot showers in a row, but not for instant hot. You can get a small tank water heater (about 1 gallon, called "Point of Use") to install in-line with the hot water tap but between the tap and your machine. Some are even 120v (normal outlet, no electrician needed), but expect to spend $150~200. For more money you can have a circulation pump installed (same unit cost but WAY more labor so it could easily be double, triple or more the cost.

On the cheaper end of things you could insulate the pipes to keep the hot, hot. Run a "rinse" cycle on hot to get the pipes initially hot, or run hot on that water line (my master bath is on the same run, but further on, from my washer so I could run hot back there and have instant hot to the washing machine.

Me, I wash everything on cold all the time anyway. 11 years married doing all the laundry (wife is picky about hers, took a long time to learn to be as picky as she is), and I simply haven't found a reason to use hot. Even my grungy mechanics clothes come clean in cold.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
I have a slop sink right next to my washer/dryer. I run that for a min before starting the washer to get hot water over to the area first.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:30 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
My LG front load has a "Sanitize" cycle where you can choose "extra hot" water" (160F). It uses a built-in heater to reach these temps. But "extra hot" is only available in the Sanitize cycle, which can be up to 4x as long as a normal cycle (106m vs 28m).

Maybe a hot water recirculation pump could solve your problem?

Old 02-02-2016, 09:46 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
My LG front load has a "Sanitize" cycle where you can choose "extra hot" water" (160F). It uses a built-in heater to reach these temps. But "extra hot" is only available in the Sanitize cycle, which can be up to 4x as long as a normal cycle (106m vs 28m).

Maybe a hot water recirculation pump could solve your problem?
You should have a "Custom" option on LG's where you can adjust the timing and create your own custom wash cycle. It's a bit of a pain initially to set up but if you use it a lot, it comes in handy.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:58 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I've noticed when I select a hot water wash, the water in the pipes is cold at first and by the time the tub is filled with cold water the hot finally gets there, so I never get a hot wash. My water heater is far from the washer outlets.
Any suggestions?

Have you thought about get a hot water recirculation pump install by the washer?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 AM

563 posts, read 1,786,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Have you thought about get a hot water recirculation pump install by the washer?
That is a big project, no? There needs to be a loop of some sort, thus you have to run an additional line back to the hot water tank. I guess it would be easier if the washer is in the garage near the hot water tank, but i am guessing that is not the case for the majority of the houses.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:50 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
That is a big project, no? There needs to be a loop of some sort, thus you have to run an additional line back to the hot water tank. I guess it would be easier if the washer is in the garage near the hot water tank, but i am guessing that is not the case for the majority of the houses.
No it would use the cold water line

It's not really cost effective considering the cost (especially for say a shower or faucet) because you can just let it run until you get hot water but in this case, OP needs hot water for the washer, not so much as a convenience factor.

I was referring to a pump like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdA_gfau1s4

Old 02-02-2016, 01:13 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Thanks everyone for the tips. Unfortunately, we don't have a sink there like I did in my last laundry room, and we checked into a recirculating fan but our house is large and plumbing too complicated for'it.

But after reading through this thread I realized our master shower is on a wall near the laundry and I think water goes from shower to laundry room so I will try running shower hot first and see if hot water then comes to the washer.

I would think there's a real market for washers that heat water. If dishwashers can do it, it can't be that complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House