Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:32 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,778,111 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the info I found out that as long as I don't add another bedroom I don't have to do any upgrades to the septic

For single family residences, if a bedroom is not being added then the septic tank pump out and the"Existing System and System Repair Evaluation Form"(#7) is not required, and the fee is $35.00,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 05:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Specifically I want to know if things like chicken broths are safe to put down the sink. I use my slow cooker and it make a lot and then I save the liquid for leftovers and it makes a jelly like stock and the fat skims on top. Once it put under water it turns into liquid again. I have no idea how to get rig of it otherwise. I know my roommate keeps old oil in glass jars and just throws them out when they are full.
Um, I use chicken stock for cooking. That jellied stuff is liquid gold. Why in the world would you dump it?

I had a septic system for 26 years. It was in good condition when we sold the house. I used a dishwasher all the time as well as a garbage disposal. I suspect that what you can or can't do with the septic system has more to do with how well it was originally installed and how it has been maintained. You are getting it inspected, right? It should have to pass inspection before the sale can go through, I think, especially if there will be a loan.

A septic tank will have to be pumped out from time to time. You might want to find out when it was last pumped out.

If there is any leakage into the drain field, it will not pass inspection. This becomes a worry when you resell.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:13 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,940,956 times
We had septic for 25 years in Florida,last home brand new dish washer,new never used,lived in home 8 years,
The only thing we ever put into septic was body waste,we never emptied washer into it either.
Always trouble free.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,944,388 times
I've lived most of my life on a septic system and I've never had one fail or had one pumped. NEVER use any of the miracle cleaners like Ridex. Ridex is like septic tank cocaine, once you use it the tank is addicted to it and will always be hooked on it until you have cleaned. For one person, a yeast cake from the grocery every other month is more than enough to keep the good bacteria in the tank, happy. If you have a dishwasher, don't use it. If you have a garbage disposal, don't use it. Have the house inspected for a grease trap on the kitchen sink. If it doesn't have one, have one installed and clean it monthly. Human waste, bath water, and water is all that goes into a septic system. If you live in an area where the ground doesn't freeze, consider piping the clothes washer water to a drum and then gravity fed to the yard, garden, etc to keep it out of the septic tank. NEVER use any bleach where it ends up in the septic tank. Use only biodegradable toilet cleaners. You can get them at most any camping supply house. Follow this and you'll probably not live long enough to have septic issues.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:52 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,401,997 times
My septic tank was installed in 1972 and never been pump. dont do anything different, your tank can handle it. just dont flush the condoms. But if you want to help your tank and are able, the dishwasher, showers, washing machines, dishwashers are grey water, its legal to dump that on the ground, so if you are able, replumb so that doesnt go into tank. Only think needs for tank is toilets.

but I have been using dishwasher, garbage disposal, soaps, in my tank for, well since 72 wuth no problem. and the bacteria in the tanks loves chicken fat, just dont flush no plastic, rubber, etc

I know people that use the grey waters in their gardens and flowers

Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 AM

So what toilet bowl cleaners can I use. I haven't moved in yet, but for city sewer I buy that kind that foams and does not need scrubbing and I sometimes use something called Lime-Away maybe once a month. Should I avoid those for septic and if so what kind of cleaners can I use for the toilet and tub?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 AM

19,817 posts, read 22,710,079 times
We use mild soap with a toilet brush and a pumice stone for harder stains. The pumice stone is actually easier to use than most chemical cleaners, lol.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pumi...HYjUDjMQsAQIew

Old 03-08-2016, 07:21 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,667,164 times
Your local cooperative extension service likely has information about using a septic system. If it is in good shape you should be able to do fine as a single individual on the system.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
My septic tank was installed in 1972 and never been pump. dont do anything different, your tank can handle it. just dont flush the condoms. But if you want to help your tank and are able, the dishwasher, showers, washing machines, dishwashers are grey water, its legal to dump that on the ground, so if you are able, replumb so that doesnt go into tank. Only think needs for tank is toilets.

but I have been using dishwasher, garbage disposal, soaps, in my tank for, well since 72 wuth no problem. and the bacteria in the tanks loves chicken fat, just dont flush no plastic, rubber, etc

I know people that use the grey waters in their gardens and flowers
Don't flush baby wipes either.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Um, I use chicken stock for cooking. That jellied stuff is liquid gold. Why in the world would you dump it?
Because ti's too much and I have no room to store or freeze it. I make slow cooker chicken at least once a week so I end up with a quart of stock that I don't need. Plus I'm not a great cook so I don't even know what to use the stock for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House