Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 12:05 AM

32 posts, read 62,538 times

Advertisements

As the hot summer approaches, I am looking looking to remodel my pool and trying to get some ideas of what to do with the deep end of the pool.

Currently my pool starts at 3.5 ft and slopes down to 10 ft. There is very little "play area" and a lot of steep slope.

Any thoughts on whether to raise the deep, add some type of ledge to stand or sit on, bar stools, etc. to make the most use of a deep end of a pool? I've never owned a pool before and looking for ideas on what people think is most useful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I have no idea what is possible, you need to talk to a pool company but I'd get rid of the deep end. Most newer pools these days have a beach entry and a play pool concept where the deepest it gets is about 5 feet. Deep section use a huge amount of water. You can dive (carefully) in but most insurance companies frown on diving boards. These sorts of deep ends were popular in the 1970s but they seem dated now. A pool company could best tell you if it would make financial sense to do it.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:46 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
if you have kids I disagree. One of the best parts of a pool is being able to jump in. That being said we love our shallow pool which is about 5.5 feet in the middle and gets shallower at both ends. We do have kids and they want to jump in which we allow, but they just have to be so careful.

If we had had more space I would have done a T with the shallow ends like our existing pool and then the base of the T becoming a deep end for jumping and maybe a water slide.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
We specifically bought our house because of the big deep pool. Our kids are grown and all the adults that come over love to show off their skills jumping off the diving board.

That said, I have seen some pools with a ledge around the entire perimeter of the pool that people can sit on.

My husband rigged up a pop-up tent that, on two of the legs, he put boat bumpers on, so that two legs are on the concrete and two legs float, so people can be in the pool but get out of the shade.

I did find a place that sold stools that are weighed down with sand bags that sit on the bottom of the pool, and can be removed, but they were ~$200 apiece.

Last edited by convextech; 03-23-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-23-2016, 09:33 AM
bpb

46 posts, read 53,251 times
psu2pgh, I'd love to have a 10ft deep end. For the way we use the pool, our 8' deep end and overhanging diving/jumping rock is great.

If this is the first pool you've owned, before you get swamped and overcharged by pool store recommendations, go visit the online forum at TroubleFreePool.com. We pool owners there are, uh, enthusiastic about simplifying maintenance, and if you post your renovation question there you'll get some good ideas. Check out the pictures posted in the "under construction" subforum for what's going in now.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Modifying any existing pool get very tricky and costly. My buddy that used to build pool for a living (it was hard work and he is retired now...) has a long list of things that are just too much trouble / unsafe / insurance nightmares.

There are a few firms that do market technology of "adjust depth swimming pools" that are generally NOT suitable for retrofits -- Home - Hydrofloors & Residential lifting pool floor - AKVO Spiralift are easiest to find. As to cost? Well if you have to ask, you probably don't want to know. It is in the range of a top of the line collector type sports car ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House