Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:14 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times

Advertisements

I leave my house in the north for 3 months to avoid the cold. I turn off the gas and the water...also the water heater. Open the cold water taps to drain out pressure and no worries of freezing. I then put light timers in rooms so that it looks as if lights go on and off in different parts of the house. The mail is forwarded to my southern home and neighbors are aware of my absence. If it snows, I have a contract to have the drive and sidewalks cleared. It looks lived in and in 4 years have not had a problem. A camera is only going to show you someone is there.....after the fact.
It takes about 2 hours to shut the house down and less to open it back up when I return. If there is no water or gas turned on then no worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
would renting out the place be a consideration/ If so your agent would be in charge of checking on it from time to time.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:33 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
would renting out the place be a consideration.......
If you rent out your vacation house, you can not leave any personal items there. You can also expect the house to be hard used.

Friends who rent out their vacation house spend their own vacation repairing their vacation house.

Me, I leave everything there that I will need or use and I just take my dogs, medication, and food. I don't even pack clothing because I have a complete wardrobe left full time in the vacation house. As for the food, I only take a couple of days worth for me and a few weeks worth for the dogs. I can buy groceries there.

It makes a vacation very easy and very little work.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:06 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
We have a house in Puerto Rico that we only occupy for about 6 weeks out of the year (in winter).

When we are down there, a friend watches the house here and takes care of our cats. When we are here, my sister-in-law lives about 15 minutes away from the house so she will check on it from time to time.

When we first bought the house, we managed to lock ourselves out. One of the neighbors told us how to break in. We figured if we aren't there, anyone can break in so we don't keep anything of value in the house. We pretty much have a t.v., a DVD player, & a microwave if they were really desperate. (My sister-in-law has some antique china there because she doesn't have room at her place but not exactly the kind of thing that people would steal.) We have had our screened-in back porch broken into and what was stolen was a fruit picker and a hose. That was the second fruit picker we had stolen. When we left this year, we moved everything from the back porch into the house. We believe it is just the local kids doing it. We also know if they really want to break into the house, there really isn't anything we can do about-which is why we don't leave anything of real value there.

As for the utilities when we aren't there, we turn off the water and the electricity on everything but the refrigerator. There is no such thing as heat down there.

We thought about renting it out when we aren't there but we really didn't want to deal with that and chose not to.

Cat

Old 05-15-2016, 11:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Rentals usually have a very secure Owner's Closet for personal items. We had a beautiful beach front condo at St. Simons Island in Georgia for about 15 years. We enjoyed it very much but at least some of the time was spent wiping down walls from scuff marks, kitchen cabinetc, etc. even though there was maid service. And a lot of money was spent keeping things fresh and up-to-date so we could get the most rentals. When we sold it we decided we would never have another vacation property in any rental program again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House