Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 2,753 times

Advertisements

We have a duplex with four bedrooms (two bedrooms per floor). It's a large duplex with ventilated hallways on each floor. Our bottom floor is always colder than the top floor.

I live on the top floor. During the winter this isn't problematic - if it's too hot, I just open a window, during the warm months however, it becomes a problem, as if I turn on the AC, the bottom most bedroom (the one at the far end of the second floor), even with its vent "closed," becomes too cold.

My solution is to cover that room's vent with foil. This way it won't become too cold and the inhabitant can still open windows for air flow.

Is this safe? We'll have a ton of other vents that will remain open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 10:29 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
The vent should have a damper that can be opened and closed to adjust the air flow. I suppose foil will work to completely block it, but it can't look all that great.

Having said that, closing one vent really won't cause any problems with the operation or efficiency of your system. You'd be better off with a damper to help balance the system. A properly installed and balanced duct system should condition all spaces relatively equally.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Closing one vent or one room won't do any harm. Beyond that, you might want to get a pro to look at the system as a whole and why it is not balanced.

If the vent face is steel and the damper ineffective, I would get a $10 magnetic vent cover. Easier to apply and remove than foil and tape.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
The vent should have a damper that can be opened and closed to adjust the air flow. I suppose foil will work to completely block it, but it can't look all that great.

Having said that, closing one vent really won't cause any problems with the operation or efficiency of your system. You'd be better off with a damper to help balance the system. A properly installed and balanced duct system should condition all spaces relatively equally.
Thank you. Yeah, I think our landlord just used a cheap damper when constructing the apartment because it's not super effective.

I was going to put the foil INSIDE the damper. What do you think?

Old 05-25-2016, 01:48 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I would get a $10 magnetic vent cover. Easier to apply and remove than foil and tape.
This.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:15 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I would get a $10 magnetic vent cover. Easier to apply and remove than foil and tape.
Yes indeed!

Old 05-25-2016, 02:17 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
I used to live in an in-law apt where I'm on the bottom and when the AC comes on, the temp got down to 50F. Opening the window helped but I got lots of condensation dripping from the vent. Luckily my LL was too cheap to use the AC except when it was a heat wave (didn't happen a lot).

I found that just shutting off the damper didn't help much. Adding something thin (like packing tape) to block the vent didn't help. I finally taped a piece of foam material (from a used poster board) to insulate the cold air. When done nicely, it was hardly noticeable and kept the room warmer. The whole apt was still cool despite all the vents being blocked (the cold air ducts were cooling the walls, I suppose) and I noticed no detriment to the AC.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i can't tell you how many frozen up coils i saw because folks closed off dampers in rooms and the airflow became restricted and coil temp dropped .

Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i can't tell you how many frozen up coils i saw because folks closed off dampers in rooms and the airflow became restricted and coil temp dropped .
We have a big place with many rooms and ducts.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:38 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
the system is generally balanced so the air flow rate matches the system property's . any change in air flow does effect the system performance .

sometimes it results in total freeze up , sometimes it just effects efficiency and humidity removal .

closing dampers take some load off the coil dropping pressure and temperature . if the coil does not freeze it can cool down the area's to quickly and the stat will shut the system down without running long enough to really remove enough humidity .

it actually duplicates what happens when you over size a unit . it cools everything down before it has a chance to dehumidify .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House