Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:20 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Have you attempted to talk to your neighbor about the problem?
^^^ This!!! and tried to propose a solution that would solve the problem... for both of you?
That's what a good neighbor would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 05:35 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I bought this house last year. What I've noticed is every time it rain more than half an inch my back yard would be temporarily flooded. I'm an engineer and my specialty is in drainage. I already know what is wrong and I have the perfect solution. But... my solution will flood out my next door neighbor LOL.

Should I impliment my solution and flood out my neighbor everytime it rains? He won't even know what hit him.
No. Talk to your neighbor and work out some solution that will work for the two of you, and won't affect anyone else.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLeftTheValley View Post
I have no idea if the flooded part of the lawn is a portion you want to use for activities/entertaining or not.

If it is not, would you consider putting in a rain garden? It would help absorb the run off, and depending on what your plan entailed it may be a cheaper solution. (Cost seemed of concern, as you mentioned there was another way to handle this that wouldn't affect your neighbor adversely, but it was more expensive.) It may take a few seasons to grow to maturity depending on what you plant, but it is one possible work around.

I don't know what zone you are in, but there are guides for planting such. When I lived in NJ, I used this one: http://water.rutgers.edu/Rain_Gardens/fs513.pdf.
This would have been my response also. Engineers are concerned with getting rid of the water when the proper solution should be to use that water to recharge the ground water using a catchment area/rain garden to allow the water to slowly percolate back under ground.

Perhaps you could start with some deep rooted plants to open up the soil over a few years such as Rye grass. As the roots die the decomposing organic matter leaves spaces where water can drain. The organic matter will further add to the soil quality.

Channeling the water away to a storm drain does not help the environment.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Yes, and your point?
Regardless of how you spin it, the thought was funny in my head.
Actually it is your point since you thought it was funny. If you cannot explain why it is funny why do you expect anyone else to be able to?
The way you present yourself is not socially awkward, it is closer to lacking maturity and proud of it.
Adding to the belief that engineers are idiots in the eyes of many.
Bless you.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:51 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
So how would you be feeling if the shoe was on the other foot? Try to imagine him doing this to you and your response. If you can't, then please try harder.

Your job in this life is not to be doing things to others.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:09 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
This would have been my response also. Engineers are concerned with getting rid of the water when the proper solution should be to use that water to recharge the ground water using a catchment area/rain garden to allow the water to slowly percolate back under ground.

Perhaps you could start with some deep rooted plants to open up the soil over a few years such as Rye grass. As the roots die the decomposing organic matter leaves spaces where water can drain. The organic matter will further add to the soil quality.

Channeling the water away to a storm drain does not help the environment.
Just so you know, all of those options are part of the solution that good engineers look at. Water laws are very stringent and different around the country. For example, in some areas this solution would be illegal because they water isn't yours to use, it belongs to someone further down stream. So you can't "keep" it by directing into a rain garden. That's just an example and I don't know what the water laws are where the OP lives.

Now to the OP. Do you have your PE? This thread is certainly not in keeping with professional standards. So have you checked the drainage plot for the neighborhood? Maybe where you live they don't have one, but if one exists, and if your neighbor altered his landscaping in such a way that it altered the drainage plot, then he is responsible for fixing it so your yard doesn't flood. Might check with your local city on what their rules are.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:17 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
You are as pleasant as a root canal OP.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:24 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
^^ Ya, I do.

Gosh you people are a tough crowd.

Already told you after the initial giggle, I've decided to talk to the neighbor.

It really was funny in my head. Not my fault whoever did his landscaping designed it such a way that there's only one path for runoff, into my yard. And the people who lived here before I bought it was an elderly couple. The elderly couple never saw it coming either. All I have to do is regrade that part of my yard and he can have all the water he ever wanted.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:41 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Might check with your local city on what their rules are.
Yep. Any changes to the grading require a permit in my town.

A good engineer knows that!

Old 05-30-2016, 06:55 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
I'm aware of the law you're talking about. It only applies if I purposefully re-grade my property to direct the runoff at his property.

What I'm planning to do is simply prevent his runoff from coming over to my property. Read my previous post for more detail.
I think that would be very hard to prove. If what you say is true, I think you need to provide them with the opportunity to correct it before you take any action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House