Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 11:22 AM

196 posts, read 388,639 times

Advertisements

My slumlord insisted on replacing the stove they installed in our rented house with another one The first was broken and looked like it came from the side of the road (cheap b******ds) the second one looked used, but was in better condition. The contractor told us it was stored inside this time, which I found later to be a lie.

I found out his lie because suddenly after two years of bug free living, I started seeing roaches. These roaches would run to the stove when I turned the lights on. I pulled the broiler drawer and found dirt and leaves... so. They were either hiding in it or eggs had hatched inside somewhere. Its like their base of operations. From the stove they have started to spread out, and are hiding in the toe kick space - the open space beneath the cabinetry. I am trying to think of solutions to get to them. I was thinking seal them off - but i dont see myself pulling the stove out... and if they can get there from beside the stove thats an issue. They might be behind the cabinet too - my slumlord wont address faulty sealing in that area (counters are peeling away from the walls, for example), dont know how Id get back there.

I am thinking about the toe kick space primarily - i wonder if there is a way to fill it with something, maybe a foam... a foam that kills bugs and makes it very uncomfortable to live in. Or open it up, kill mold and mildew, paint and seal it, then apply boric acid / pesticides. I have to get to this area and make it unlivable or the roaches are going to make my hone unlivable for me... Im also working on getting my slumlord to send an exterminator, but I doubt they will be pulling appliances out, popping open toe kick spaces, etc., and in this area there has been a moratorium on permanent solutions because the exterminators were losing business...yeah... thats why Atlanta Metro is over-run with bugs...

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Last edited by magusat999; 06-03-2016 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Stupid tablet with even stupider auto-correct...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Code enforcement, if the guy is a true slumlord. Sounds like your problems run deeper than just roaches, which are easily handled (see the sticky at the top of the forum).

Old 06-03-2016, 12:02 PM

196 posts, read 388,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Code enforcement, if the guy is a true slumlord. Sounds like your problems run deeper than just roaches, which are easily handled (see the sticky at the top of the forum).
I read the sticky and unfortunately there is no solution there for getting to bugs in hiding places like I described. Those solutions are for when you can get to them...

Old 06-03-2016, 01:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I lived in an apartment with roaches, ants, flies, etc. I had the exterminator come out every two weeks and spray. He used something that was safe for my small children and my pets, and even without getting into the hidden spaces, he was able to get rid of the bugs. Your landlord should pay for an exterminator.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:11 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
If you have all electric appliances, the easiest and cheapest way (short of getting your slumlord LL to do it) of eliminating roaches throughout the house is to get several of the Raid foggers (not the little sprayers) and put them throughout the house all at once. Shut everything up for at least 3 hours and then air the whole house out thoroughly when you come back. The foggers get into every crack and crevice and also have residual killing effects. They really are very effective and last for about 3 months. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2016, 06:38 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Go to Amazon & order some Gentrol discs. Follow the placement directions, done. Please don't fill anything with foam, no way that's ever going to work.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
go to the store and buy some bug bombs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House