Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,577 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My home has five bathroom faucets and they are all about 25 years old. Apparently, the wrench now used to install/remove these faucets was put into kits and is no longer sold. However, a plumber in ACE Hardware provided me with the old wrench from his supplies. But, I still can't get these stupid faucets out.

The problem is twofold: The hex bolt is in a very tight location that only a very narrow wrench can access. (Plus, the way this wrench fits in offers little leverage.) Secondly, the mechanism on this faucet has a kind of L-shape that blocks a traditional hex wrench from fitting over the entire thing (this wrench would give me the leverage I need to remove to faucet. See my photos. The plumber suggested beveling or drilling the bolts out as the option many people end up doing with these faucets. I don't really want to stick my face under there and have metal falling all over it, even with goggles on.
Attached Thumbnails
Can't remove my bathroom faucet.  Help, please.-img_4653.jpg   Can't remove my bathroom faucet.  Help, please.-img_4655.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I have an old faucet wrench that would work, if you could find one. You hold it vertically and it works like a pipe wrench. That wrench he gave you has a hole in it near the bottom. Try putting a thin screwdriver thru it for leverage. You only need to do a turn or two b fore it will be lose enough to spin by fingers. Too bad you can't remove the sink and do it on th bench, but looks like it's silicones in. I agree, using a reciprocal or hacksaw under there would be nasty.
TEKTON 11 in. Basin Wrench (3/8 to 1 in.)-WRN92001 - The Home Depot

Old 06-04-2016, 09:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Do you own a ratchet/socket set? You can buy a crows foot wrench to fit the nut and it's a breeze to remove it. Here's what they look like but all you need is one of the right size.
7 Piece 3/8" Crowfoot Metric Wrench Set

Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have an old faucet wrench that would work, if you could find one. You hold it vertically and it works like a pipe wrench. That wrench he gave you has a hole in it near the bottom. Try putting a thin screwdriver thru it for leverage. You only need to do a turn or two b fore it will be lose enough to spin by fingers. Too bad you can't remove the sink and do it on th bench, but looks like it's silicones in. I agree, using a reciprocal or hacksaw under there would be nasty.
TEKTON 11 in. Basin Wrench (3/8 to 1 in.)-WRN92001 - The Home Depot

^^

I have a similar wrench in my plumber's tool box. Not one of those tools I use often but when tackling a old faucet, it's almost always a must have tool.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:54 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
A basin wrench is the way to go...

But, I bet you could get leverage with that wrench you have by inserting a screwdriver in the hole of the handle- then again, the handle doesn't look very long.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:02 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Remove the sink. Work around the edges carefully with a thin blade. It may take a while, but it's a whole lot easier than working upside down in cramped quarters.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:53 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Remove the sink. Work around the edges carefully with a thin blade. It may take a while, but it's a whole lot easier than working upside down in cramped quarters.
You read my mind! Sometimes (not all) it's easier to just remove the whole sink.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:45 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
A picture from the top of the sink might help. The T makes it look like there would be a nut on top.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
TrapperL has the proper solution. But a good tip for trying to loosen any nut, is to try to tighten it just a bit, this most times will break the seal and then you can back it off. This works really well on the water shut-offs under the sinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House