Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:47 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,230 times

Advertisements

A house I'm interested in is priced right, the size I want and the location is perfect. It's a bungalow about 1000 sq. ft. Problem is the hip roof makes it look kind of squat and ugly. I don't particularly like hip roofs.

It's in a windy location, so I'd keep the footprint of the hip roof. How about a large eyelid dormer or raising half of the front with a gable?

What changes would you suggest to improve the look of the roof, and how much do they cost? I'll have a bit of money to spend, but don't want to go crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 07:51 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
For a bungalow, a dormer in the front would look appropriate at least. A gable addition will, imho, look awkward. Remember that a hip roof does have the advantage of providing additional shade around the perimeter of the house during the day, as well as protection from the rain so you can leave your windows open during showers. It's also the appropriate style roof for a bungalow house,

Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,146,547 times
Start shopping for designs and contractors- you probably already know its not simply an appearance issue; its a design and structural issue: be careful!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
For a bungalow, a dormer in the front would look appropriate at least. A gable addition will, imho, look awkward. Remember that a hip roof does have the advantage of providing additional shade around the perimeter of the house during the day, as well as protection from the rain so you can leave your windows open during showers. It's also the appropriate style roof for a bungalow house,
Thanks, I think an eyelid dormer would look best as it's softer and works with the roof style. The house has a tiny patio at the left, so offsetting the dormer to the right seems appropriate. What do you think?

The house is located in a working class area that's gentrifying, so I don't want a house that's too fancy and sticks out. I absolutely love bungalow homes, btw.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:22 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
You could design and build (more likely have a professional do so) what is known as a California Fill roof, which is a roof framed on top of an existing roof.

After confirming that the structure of the existing roof is strong enough to carry the additional loads (including wind loads), or strengthen any deficiencies, build up a California Fill gable roof from about midway down the front hip would likely give you the look you are desiring. There is not that much structure/load to them and the load is displaced fairly evenly so most roof structures are able to handle it without modifying them.

Always consult with a professional though.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:03 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
"Eyelid", more commonly known as "eyebrow" dormers could be a possibility- scaling the size properly is the make or break.

Posting a pic would help a lot- one's idea of "bungalow" can be construed differently from another's.

There are several areas here in the ATL that have craftsman style bungalows, most of which have shed dormers on the front because the attic areas where walk-up and the shed dormer added useable sq/ft for finishing. Always get the most use out of something you look at as "cosmetic".

Old 06-09-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Posting a pic would help a lot- one's idea of "bungalow" can be construed differently from another's.
What kind of work would make this place look cool?
Attached Thumbnails
Hip roof alterations-hip_roof_bungalow.png  

Old 06-09-2016, 12:42 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Not a "bungalow"!

That's a "ranch" all day long. And the design is pretty poor! The pitch of the roof is too shallow- it isn't proportionate to the structure- a better way to put it: cheap as builder!

Adding a gable isn't helping that house at all!

Old 06-09-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Not a "bungalow"!

That's a "ranch" all day long. And the design is pretty poor! The pitch of the roof is too shallow- it isn't proportionate to the structure- a better way to put it: cheap as builder!

Adding a gable isn't helping that house at all!
Some people call these "bungalows" interchangeably. Any suggestions on helping the house? Location is great, and if I get it, it will be cheap.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
They may call them bungalows, but they're not. I've had a hipped-roof ranch and now have a hipped-roof 1927 bungalow and there's a distinctive difference in appearance and style. For one thing, a bungalow is typically oriented from front to back, while a ranch is oriented from side to side - like yours is. Adding anything to the roof will not improve it. Landscaping appropriate for the lot and the house would though. And no shutters, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House