Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 04:43 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's not true. Window units sit in a can that is installed first, then the unit is slid into the can. You can pull the unit out of the can any time you want.

The problem is unit life span. If you have to replace it, you will never find another unit to fit the can, so you will have to re-work the opening. Technological progress means making the opening smaller. That means fancy trim work, or an ugly install.
Those are the ones that can go either way and cost much more. He wants to use the $200 window only unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
They make "through wall" units that Look similar to window units but are different in design (since most windows are only ~2" thick and most exterior walls are 6" on the minimum). So long as you're buying one that's designed for wall installation, you'll be fine. Having lived with one, you'll want to make sure you cover it through the winter, inside and out (I built a foam box from 1" insulation for the outside).

A little more money up front but a LOT less money to run are mini-splits (looking on Amazon, $750 for a mini-split vs $530 for the best selling through-wall with the same BTU rating). There you're only drilling a small hole through the wall (heh, comparative to a through-wall AC unit) and getting twice, or more, the energy efficiency.

Knowing what I now know, I'd pick the mini-split every day of the week, all year long. Not even a hesitation or thought of going for a window or wall unit.
Sorry to sound dumb but what is a mini-split and why would I want one? It's 115 here today and I am having nightmares about my electric bill! Thanks!

Old 06-20-2016, 08:23 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
What about a portable unit where you just cut a vent for the exhaust and run a drain line? Like this...

LG portable-air-conditioner LP1215GXR | LG Electronics US
What are the decibels of that unit?

We bought a similar one to that to use in a family room and it was so loud that we moved it out to the garage where we used it a couple of times. It is back in its box. Someday, somewhere, we might have a way to use it again, perhaps in an outdoor shed or something, but it is so loud and annoying that it is hardly worth it.

I would never recommend a portable unit. Fans work better, are quieter, don't need venting, cost less to operate, etc.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
The wall ones have a frame that keeps water from coming inside when it rains and protects the AC to make it last longer. I had a neighbor who put a small window AC thru the wall and it leaked when it rained so he had to build a wooden frame around it on the outside. That's not good because it will block the vents and cause the AC to fail sooner. Spend the extra money and get a wall AC.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:09 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Of course you can use a window AC in a wall installation. They work fine. I have 2 such installations now -- one in our Maine home, and one in our TN home.

The size issue is mostly not an issue. Window units always have to fit windows, so cut a slightly bigger wall opening, and line it well with soft foam, covered with dark plastic (trash bags and duct tape work great for this and really don't show at all). Then removing the unit or replacing it is easy, by adjusting the platic. These other folks are talking about custom installations, which cost $$$.

To those worried about their electric bill when the temperature goes through the roof, I have this advice: don't plug it into the grid power. Seriously. We use a small, quiet generator like a Honda or Yamaha (2-3,000 W is all you need for most AC units) and then you measure your cost in the form of gallons of gas (which you can control) rather than kWh from the electric company (which you can't). I'm a big fan of taking personal control of most things in my life.

BTW, did you know that you do not have to install an AC unit on an exterior wall for it to work? Indeed, there is absolutely NO reason why it has to have one end on the outside. It will work just as well on an interior wall. You just need to provide a method of collecting the condensation water that drips from the side that would project from the window. This is easy to do with a bucket, as long as you empty it regularly. I used to have a setup like this at my workshop.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:12 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
just make sure the condenser air slots are not on the side of the unit . wall units always exhaust out the back but not all window units do .

Old 06-21-2016, 06:16 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Sorry to sound dumb but what is a mini-split and why would I want one? It's 115 here today and I am having nightmares about my electric bill! Thanks!
Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioners | Department of Energy

They're a bit off on pricing in that article (the price gap is much closer currently), but otherwise it's a good primer. Mitsubishi is probably the biggest brand in terms of use, if you want to use your search engine for a little further self education.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Window ac units work perfectly well through a wall.......I've done it 3 times. When we lived in Pennsylvania, I cut a hole in one downstairs outside wall, framed it in, and put a 17,0000 btu ac unit in it. I also installed a 10,000 btu unit upstairs to cool the bedrooms. Worked great and cooled the whole house.

I also have a 5,000 btu unit in the wall of my shop office, venting to the shop (which we keep the garage door open on so the extracted heat escapes.)

Just make sure you mount it on a slight downward angle so the water it generates drains outside, not inside.

Don

Old 06-21-2016, 06:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Window ac units work perfectly well through a wall.......I've done it 3 times. When we lived in Pennsylvania, I cut a hole in one downstairs outside wall, framed it in, and put a 17,0000 btu ac unit in it. I also installed a 10,000 btu unit upstairs to cool the bedrooms. Worked great and cooled the whole house.

I also have a 5,000 btu unit in the wall of my shop office, venting to the shop (which we keep the garage door open on so the extracted heat escapes.)

Just make sure you mount it on a slight downward angle so the water it generates drains outside, not inside.

Don
That "slight downward angle" should be 3° (degrees)

Old 06-21-2016, 10:20 PM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I'm the OP and I had this typed up.
Low 90’s till Fri. then 100 & sat. & sun. 100
My water cooler only the fan part works anymore and tonight in the cooler evening air it cools enough that I just turned it off. But not anywhere near good in the daytime hot weather.
So next week I’m going to be hot.
So I just ordered a Keystone 12,00 btu through the wall air conditioner good for 550 sq. ft.
My living, dining area, kitchen, and hall, all one room as far as the air conditioner is concerned is 436 sq. ft.
Ordering from Walmart went smooth except for a brief password hassle. It will be here next Tue.
I sort of enjoy researching things like this and I really checked it out, I got the best one for me.
I was thinking of getting a window one but a long time ago I realized not to try to reinvent the wheel, which means just do what everyone has found is the way to do it so this is a correct through the wall unit.
I also ordered with it a sleeve a metal enclosure required for through the wall, so now if there ever is a need to remove it I can easily. With a window one that would be difficult.
It will take me awhile to cut a hole in the wall and frame it in but I shouldn't need any outside help.
Now I’ll never have to go up on the roof again except one more time to drain the old cooler and remove the pads.
Cost 523.33 + 47.28 Calif. Tax man I hate Calif. Government, total 572.61
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House