Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:48 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times

Advertisements

I live in a community of middle-sized homes with yards that aren't too big but aren't too small. This means that they are easy to care for, but also that there is very little privacy in the back yards. I just moved in six months ago and I fully accept the drawbacks because I really like everything else about the place.

This weekend, I was mowing my lawn at 6pm- well before dark and a couple hours before the latest allowed by law and by our HOA (8pm in both cases) when my neighbor starting hurling expletives at me for mowing too late. I managed to keep my cool and informed him that it was a totally reasonable time to mow a lawn given that it was 94 degrees with no clouds earlier in the day, and that the HOA rules specifically permit mowing between the hours of 9am and 8pm during the summer. I wouldn't want to be out there at peak heat at 3pm, and I wasn't home earlier in the day, so it made sense to wait until the sun was a little less intense. For reference, sundown is after 8 and it gets dark closer to 9 this time of year. Also for reference, I haven't mowed my lawn in 3+ weeks since it's been so hot the grass is basically dormant even with irrigation.

I started with my battery powered trimmer which is extremely quiet, and that's when he starting raising his voice to his wife in a passive aggressive manner saying "what's that honey? I can't hear you- the inconsiderate neighbor is mowing his lawn at night, just like the idiot he bought the house from used to do". This got my blood boiling but I'm pretty good at keeping my emotions in check, so I just carried on about my business. About 10 minutes later, I got the small honda push-mower out and that just set him off.

Long story short, he screamed at me the things that he felt he needed to say and I stood my ground based on the rules of the community, the law of the town (both of which I reconfirmed after the confrontation), and the fact that there were at least three other mowers going within earshot when I shut mine off to talk to the guy. Then I went back to mowing my lawn and finished by 6:30 or 6:45, then enjoyed my freshly cut back yard with my family until 8 or 8:30 and went in while it was still light outside.

I'd like to gather opinions on this- what's too late in your opinion? On a weekday the earliest I could mow is 6:30 since I work, and weekends are hit and miss based on whatever the family happens to be doing that day but I still feel 6 to 7 is reasonable especially given the rest of the neighborhood seemed to be mowing their lawns at that time.

Not that it really matters, but after the confrontation another neighbor who witnessed everything came over to congratulate me for standing my ground and said that he had cursed at her son in the past for mowing their lawn at a similar time.

Too long, didn't read version: What's the latest you would mow your lawn in the middle of summer? Bonus points- if you think my neighbor is crazy, any tips on interacting with him? If you think I'm wrong, then I'm happy to hear your opinion as well. Thanks!

Last edited by NYCresident2014; 06-28-2016 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 12:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
What's the latest you would mow your lawn in the middle of summer?
...before dark and a couple hours before the latest allowed by law and your HOA

Quote:
...if you think my neighbor is crazy, any tips on interacting with him?
Smile and nod. Keep living your life.
Offer to allow HIM to mow your lawn when it suits better.

Even if you're home MID DAY like when the lawn services come around...
And even in a neighborhood where "everyone does it on Thurs 4-6pm"...

There are times (heat/ humidity/ schedules) that you'll want or need to
do your mowing early or late. You're allowed to do this.

ps: NEVER buy in an HOA neighborhood

Old 06-28-2016, 12:27 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Your neighbor is a (not nice person). You have every right to mow your lawn in the evening. Ignore him. At least you aren't getting out there at dawn when everyone is still asleep!!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:34 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
As long as you not mowing right up to the legal cut off, or while they are entertaining I really would not give it a second thought based on the already demonstrated bad reaction this bozo has had. I mean, it'd be one thing if he was just lounging in a hammock and sorta had an agitated look on his face or even slammed a door and went in, then I might've shouted out something like "gotta get this done now, but I'll send over a pitcher of Margaritas when I finish..."

Ignoring the kind of idiots that get verbally abusive is generally better than any kind of engagement, try not to let it bother you. Maybe get some obvious "work headphones" so he does not waste his breath screaming at you, there is connection between yelling and further escalation...

https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-...dp/B0013092CS/

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Honeyw...dp/B0027DIHZS/

Maybe read up on "de-escalation techniques" -- http://thousandwaves.org/docs/VPReso...Escalation.pdf

De-escalation Strategies and Techniques | CPI

Verbal De-Escalation Techniques That Actually Work

Old 06-28-2016, 12:35 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
Your neighbor is an idiot. Up to dark in the middle of summer should be no big deal.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:37 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
thread from the opposite side (about what's too early) but may be helpful to read

http://www.city-data.com/forum/house...-mow-lawn.html

Your neighbor is a crank, btw. And this has nothing to do with being in an HOA, since OP was well within the HOA rules. This neighbor would be complaining if this was a non-HOA area as well.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:45 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I've mowed as late as 7PM at my home. Nobody says a word (and no HOA) either. Considering it gets dark at 8:30-9 these days, people are outside BBQing, enjoying the pool, etc. As far as I'm concerned, it's just the sounds of summer.

With that said, I try to mow as early as possible, but I've had neighbors break out the mower at 7PM. doesn't bother me. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather listen to a neighbor mow his lawn and upkeep his property, vs let it go to hell. I used to live in the city, where the sounds of summer was loud music, cars with revving engines, people argueing until 2AM, police sirens, etc etc. If the worst thing I have to hear in the suburbs is a mower running at 7PM...I will take that all day long.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:46 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Your neighbor may be a week or so away from a heart attack, or he may just be an a--hole.

You were within your rights.

Our city says we can mow between 7 am and 10 pm. I mow around 8:30 am on weekdays when it is really hot or around 8:00 pm. I have a later start time at work in the summer, so if I move fast, I can get the mowing done.

I DO NOT mow before 11 am on Saturdays or 4:00 pm on Sundays because people are sleeping in.

Whenever possible, I try to mow on weekdays after people have left for work.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Now you know why the guy you bought the house from decided to move away...a rude and crazy neighbor.

6pm is fine for mowing the lawn. Since your neighbor is such a nice, reasonable guy, the weekend mornings might be a more opportune time to mow, as early as your HOA permits.

I have a neighbor who mows in the dead of night. Our HOA is just happy that anyone is mowing at all and didn't think to designate specific times that mowing was allowed. The midnight mower doesn't bother me, but I do wonder how he manages not to damage the mower in the dark.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:47 PM

436 posts, read 521,168 times
Your neighbor sounds crazy. 6:30 PM is perfectly reasonable to mow your lawn. I would say anything from 8AM to 8PM is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House