Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
IMHO, appliances built after the 1970s are generally crap. And are getting crappier. Imported appliances, from Asia, are also suspect. Large or small, it doesn't matter.

If you can find pre-1970 appliances that also have parts available for repair, you will be better off.
(Sears Kenmore, for example, often have repair manuals and parts for sale.)

CAVEAT - watch out for "Energy Star" ratings. The manufacturers often do "strange things" to get those high ratings.
Ex: recently purchased dishwasher has a bizarre cycle, where it keeps shutting off every minute or so. A complete cycle is near TWO HOURS. But it "saves energy!"
(Sigh)
We owned an Amana fridge from 1999-2012 and the only reason we don't continue to own it is because we moved, and gave it to someone else to continue to use.

Generalizations are simply not helpful. Older appliances might last longer, but their size and features became outdated, and they are not energy efficient. And it takes time and money to make them last over the years. With a very old appliance, service and parts become scarce. How many of us want to learn how to get a 45 year old fridge keep going for 5 more years? Or a dishwasher? A stove, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:48 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Estate sales are good places to get decent appliances.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I've bought appliances from Craigslist before and been happy with them.

It's true that appliances don't seem to last like they used to, but lots of the simpler things that will fail on them are easy to replace and the parts are cheaper than a new appliance.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:15 PM

558 posts, read 435,137 times
I will give you a head's up on stoves. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, a 27" drop-in electric stove was fairly common as a builders' grade stove. I built a house with one, and I bought a house with one. Fast forward to 2006 or so when I wanted to replace my stove. I found one manufacturer, GE, who charged almost $900 for a basic stove that did nothing but self-clean and fit the space. It came in black or black oven with a white stovetop. I bought the black-and-white version. I wanted stainless, but it was not an option.

Now even GE doesn't manufacture one. According to internet forums like "This Old House," no one does. That means if your stove goes out, you have a major problem replacing it. The cabinets and countertops are going to have to be redone at least in that area. My daughter-in-law and son had a slide-in that size so they have a gap where they used an apartment-size stove.

A used stove that fits that space might be a blessing. But in any case, measure that opening!

End of PSA.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:15 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Auctions. We bought a lot of really nice antique furniture at auctions for great prices. We got an antique oak dinning room table with 7 leaves for $100, a beautiful vanity for $25, and the list goes on. We even got a big beautiful table with burl wood for only $5. Nobody else wanted it. Love auctions (a little too much )

Cat

Old 07-08-2016, 08:23 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We owned an Amana fridge from 1999-2012 and the only reason we don't continue to own it is because we moved, and gave it to someone else to continue to use.

Generalizations are simply not helpful. Older appliances might last longer, but their size and features became outdated, and they are not energy efficient. And it takes time and money to make them last over the years. With a very old appliance, service and parts become scarce. How many of us want to learn how to get a 45 year old fridge keep going for 5 more years? Or a dishwasher? A stove, maybe.
Your experience of 15 years of faithful service is not irrefutable evidence for the whole industry.

My experience was different, our less than 17 year old refrigerator (installed when the house was built in 1998), needed replacement in 2014.
The range's broiler door hinges broke off.
We've gone through THREE dishwashers. (Darby, GE, and now Maytag)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House