Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:05 PM

98 posts, read 510,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - that is what I do.

I got some good deals at JCPenney on faux wood blinds. I'm lucky that my old house has all wooden walls - no sheetrock - so I just drill away.

But that deal from Lowes that another posted wrote about sounds great.

Also maybe get a spare blind just in case one gets destroyed by a pet or person. You can just switch it out as needed.
Will definitely check out Lowe's- have been to Home Depot a few times and can never find anyone to help, plus their selection seems to be low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 08:37 PM

232 posts, read 348,488 times
I watch all the DIY shows on tv and feel confident in my ability until I try it. I tried installing my blinds using an old drill my dad left me. For some reason the drill only went in about half of what was needed to put up the blinds. I don't know what I hit, but I couldn't get the drill through it.

I took the blinds back and bought curtains. I drilled the holes up higher on the outside of the window and again hit something hard. The curtains are hanging, but the screws are only in half way and the curtains would come right down if you tugged on them.

DIY fail.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:27 PM

308 posts, read 499,202 times
It is pretty simple, I did my whole house. If you can use a tape measure, drill, and screwdriver...you can install them. Just follow the instructions. good luck

Old 07-19-2016, 01:42 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
It's easy. We predrilled holes to attach the brackets. When you measure your windows, measure the top, middle and bottom and go with the smallest measurement. Do your length like that too but take the longest measurement.
Lowes does come out and measure along with install. I've noticed the prices are based on the area you live. When I worked at Lowes in the blinds when Bali would do a sale and we had people who we did measurements for, we would call twice to let them know of the promo. Many times it was like a week before the promo kicked in. If you have to order, go with Bali. Especially if you are going to be there for a while. They have a lifetime warranty and you call them with the order number in the headrail and they send out what you need. When we put our house on the market a wood tassle broke and a blind broke and they replaced it all with no issues.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:41 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Measure twice. Cut once.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I installed all of mine. The first two by using a screwdriver, the next few by using a powerdrill, which is definitely the way to go. I ordered them online and they were inside mounts so I didn't have much to do but put the brackets in the corners! It was easy-ish. Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House