Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 27,598 times

Advertisements

Appreciate the great help here. Have asked a couple questions about plumbing lately and you guys have been right on!

One of the other threads advised me to change the PRV in my house. That did the trick. Only one negative...

We love the pressure at this level but ever since putting it in, the toilet has gotten noisier and is making strange sounds. It's directly related to what the house's water pressure is set on, because when I make that lower, the toilet is fine. Any possible fixes to quiet down the toilet other than reducing the entire house's water pressure? Thanks again so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 06:30 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
What is the noise? I presume from it is refilling after flushing.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 27,598 times
Yes, it's when refilling after a flush. Kind of a squealing sound. I should also add some information on the type of toilet - I believe it's called flapperless. Looks like a bucket that flips over when I take the top off to look inside.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
What is the pressure? It should not be over 80 psi. Sometimes a new PRV is not set to proper pressure.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:22 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Yep- check the pressure.
The most common way is a gauge that connects to the washer connection.

If the toilet wasn't making the noise previously, and you had "excessive" pressure, it would lead me to believe that shutting down the system to change the PRV had something to do with it. It's quite possible that there could be some debris in the fill valve that's creating the noise.

There are also fill valves that are designed as "quite fill".

Old 08-08-2016, 09:34 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalia99 View Post
Appreciate the great help here. Have asked a couple questions about plumbing lately and you guys have been right on!

One of the other threads advised me to change the PRV in my house. That did the trick. Only one negative...

We love the pressure at this level but ever since putting it in, the toilet has gotten noisier and is making strange sounds. It's directly related to what the house's water pressure is set on, because when I make that lower, the toilet is fine. Any possible fixes to quiet down the toilet other than reducing the entire house's water pressure? Thanks again so much for your help!
Close the water supply just a little.

The water supply for your toilet is located at the wall just behind the toilet. It's a faucet type valve, so turn it like you are turning off a faucet. Give it a full turn and see if that quiets things down.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Close the water supply just a little.

The water supply for your toilet is located at the wall just behind the toilet. It's a faucet type valve, so turn it like you are turning off a faucet. Give it a full turn and see if that quiets things down.
It doesn't "change" the pressure- it only restricts the volume.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:41 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Some fill valves are designed so that you can flush them easily to remove debris or hard water deposits. That took care of the noise in mine.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
I had numerous problems with excessive water pressure as household valves are not designed to handle high pressure. Noisy toilet fill valves were one, but a minor issue.

I replaced my PRV and stabilized the pressure at 65 psi and all problems went away.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:15 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Some of my areas have high pressure... the owners were unwilling to install a regulator...

I've not had a single callback using the Korky Pro Grade Toilet Fill Valve...

Right on the box it says designed to withstand higher pressure.

I first started running into this when the brass ball ***** were getting replaced... seamed the old technology was much more forgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House