Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:10 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

If there's a buck to be made, some company will come up with a product for every little thing. But I'm sure no one really needs separate cleaning products for tile floors, bathtub, toilet, windows, walls, shower doors, car interior, stainless steel fridge, etc etc.

Now obviously I'm not going to clean fine wood furniture with ammonia, or porous tile with vinegar. But I do want to pare down my mountain of cleaning products.

What are your must-haves? How many things have you replaced with vinegar, baking soda, or ammonia, and what things are those best for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 01:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Dawn dish soap; the blue one. I cant stand the smell of store-bought cleaners or the homemade vinegar-based recipes, so dish soap is my go-to. Dilute with water and a little bit of rubbing alcohol, and it t makes an all-purpose cleaner (windows, too). A squirt on a scouring sponge gets the tub and shower clean, which is a miracle with our hard water. Other than that, I just buy a can of Pledge now and then.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:29 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
I also like Dawn. We also use softscrub with bleach for our white quartz counter tops and for white porcelain fixtures. I also keep some mildew cleaner I get at the boat supply place (works great on washing machine rubber seal and refrigerator door seal) , some CLR, and that blue stuff that goes in the toilets. No ammonia in the house.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:38 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Dawn dish soap; the blue one. I cant stand the smell of store-bought cleaners or the homemade vinegar-based recipes, so dish soap is my go-to. Dilute with water and a little bit of rubbing alcohol, and it t makes an all-purpose cleaner (windows, too). A squirt on a scouring sponge gets the tub and shower clean, which is a miracle with our hard water.
This. I use dawn for so much. Probably the best thing is to pretreat laundry stains, especially grease.

Beyond that, vinegar, especially for the fridge and sink.

Last, CLR. It's harsh but really does the job.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:58 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
What are your must-haves? How many things have you replaced with vinegar, baking soda, or ammonia, and what things are those best for?
There's not much you can't clean with vinegar, baking soda, and Dawn. I do keep Bar Keeper's Friend around for tougher stuff, like my copper-bottom pots and pans, and window cleaner. I also buy wood cleaner for the floors, and detergent for the dishwasher.

For everyday cleaning, I fill one squirt bottle with vinegar and water, and another with vinegar, water and dish soap.

Vinegar also is good for the dishwasher rinse cycle, and as a fabric softener in the laundry.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:07 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I use bleach for mildew and the toilet (with a scrubber thing), vinegar/Blue Dawn for the shower, Windex for grease and windows, baking soda for scrubbing. Oh, and vinegar for other hard to clean things besides the shower. For other scrubbing, I use steel wool.

That's it.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:24 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
We have got so much stuff under the sink it is ridiculous. I really should go through and throw out what isn't being used. The thing is, there are three people who will use different products that are under there, me, Hubby, & the cleaning lady.

What I use:

-Dawn (the blue one)
-Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
-Finish (for dishwasher)
-In the past, I have use Lime-A-Way for heavy duty or bathrooms (Cleaning Lady does the bathrooms now)

For laundry
-I don't care what kind of laundry soap as long as it is liquid & scent free. I HATE when my clothes smell like perfume. Same for dryer sheets.

As I get older, I find that I am more bothered by smells. My cleaning lady has used Mr. Clean or Pine Sol (can't remember which one) to do the floors and I find I can't handle the smell. I tried Bar Keeper's Friend and it just smelled to chemically for me.

Cat

Old 08-11-2016, 02:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Forgot to mention: properly diluted bleach is my disinfectant of choice. I tried to make myself like vinegar for this purpose, but humid bathrooms in the heat summer don't lie: vinegar just didn't cut it.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
Sapolio dish washing paste, which is a cleanser made of mild abrasive and grease cutting detergent. I use it to clean everything in the house. This is an old brand that used to be as big as P & G in its day, and now it's not easy finding their products.

SAPOLIO DISHWASHING PASTE – Sapolio

Old 08-11-2016, 04:08 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times

What else do you need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House