Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,480 times

Advertisements

I noticed that my wood floors have a smokey look to them. Could this be a buildup of some kind on the wood? I currently use Bona to clean the floors (weekly). Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
What kind of wood?
And how old is it?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Thanks for responding ..I noticed it on both my prefinished manufactured, glue down flooring (I'm not sure what type of wood that floor is) , and upstairs on my prefinished oak, nailed down floors. The Oak flooring is 4 years old, the other floor is about 7 or 8 years old. It almost is like there is a "film" on the flooring that's why I am wondering if it is a product buildup. Before using the Bona products I was using Bruce woodfloor cleaner (from Home Depot).

Old 02-19-2008, 03:20 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Well, considering that the floors aren't that old and you've done nothing out of the ordinary- I'd say you're seeing a chemical reaction of the two products.
You probably had a buildup of the Bruce product and now it is reacting to the Bona.
I can't think of anything else that would do that- especially on pre-finished flooring.
Pre-finished flooring is a baked on process with aluminium oxide- which makes the finish very hard and durable.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:27 PM

is there a product to remove buildup or whatever it is on my floors? Should I try cleaning them with vinegar?
TY!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
is there a product to remove buildup or whatever it is on my floors? Should I try cleaning them with vinegar?
TY!
I just moved into a house with wood floors that looked like you described. I do not know what the previous owner used. After a couple of cleanings with warm water and vinegar they finally started to come "alive" again. I always used the vinegar/water to clean my previous homes' floors and they always looked great - clean! I never have used any product on my wood floors - hope that helps!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
I just moved into a house with wood floors that looked like you described. I do not know what the previous owner used. After a couple of cleanings with warm water and vinegar they finally started to come "alive" again. I always used the vinegar/water to clean my previous homes' floors and they always looked great - clean! I never have used any product on my wood floors - hope that helps!
I vote for vinegar/water, too. That is what I have always used, even tho I have tried other products over the years . .. always come back to vinegar/ water.

And I suggest this b/c one of my friends moved into a house w/ the cloudy look on the floors and after several months of using the water/vinegar, she got the "glow" back.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Vinegar, it is! Thanks...I will give it a try today! I can't stand the cloudy/smokey look on the floors. Hopefully this will do the trick .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House