Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 12:18 PM

50 posts, read 89,758 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a co-op in NJ. It is an old building built in the 1940's. It is heated by convectors. Heat is included in my monthly maintenance. I was told by a couple of my neighbors that it gets really warm in the winter. They certainly don't cheat you for heat. A couple of weeks ago, I paid a few hundred dollars for a plumber to install the shut off valves on the radiators. There are 3 radiators in my apartment, one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and one in the bedroom. The bathroom is heated by a pipe that goes up through the room. Over the weekend, the heat came on for the first time this year. It got really warm after a few hours, so I shut all the valves. I have had them shut since Sunday. However, in the living room, it is about 75. In the bedroom, it is about 72 or 73, and in the kitchen, it is about 77. I have those digital interior thermometers. All this time, the radiators are giving off no heat since I have shut the valves. The only heat is coming through the pipe in the bathroom when it has been on. How is my apartment staying so warm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 12:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
It's all about mass, and your building is one big mass of concrete.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:30 PM

50 posts, read 89,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
It's all about mass, and your building is one big mass of concrete.

The building is brick.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:09 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
It's well insulated. Also if you share walls with other units it means less exposure to the outside and the cold. Heat rises so if you are on a higher level the heating of the lower units might heat yours. Also it hasn't gotten that cold in NJ yet, my father said he only had to turn the furnace on a few times for a few hours. Summer just ended a few weeks ago. When it gets below freezing then you will see how well the heat works.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:33 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Facing south or west? Situated between other condos? very well insulated?
Are you complaining? You will save a ton during the Winter!
Open the windows, install fans to cool it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House