Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 03:54 PM

18,532 posts, read 18,775,972 times

Advertisements

Talking of toilets does anyone remember this type of seat....we had them in the school toilets in the 50s 60s..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 04:05 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,595,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Does anyone have these horrible things or anything at all like them in their toilet, they really are hideous and germ collectors..
URL=http://lunapic.com][/url]

Ok I don't normally dist others tastes in home decors etc because I do believe your home should reflect you and you should enjoy it! But this is hideous...

Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,595,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
LMAO~ JCPenny I remember how I enjoyed looking through the catalog as a teenager and thinking one day I'll have a cool stuff like that in my own home! .. Must say, them ladies look out to lunch..

Old 10-19-2016, 04:27 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,962,294 times
Quote:
Talking of toilets does anyone remember this type of seat....we had them in the school toilets in the 50s 60s..

Truly?!? I've never seen such a thing. All that cold porcelain would be just what's needed to enforce Mom's admonition "Don't ever sit on a public toilet seat!"

Old 10-19-2016, 05:27 PM

525 posts, read 661,324 times
The last rental house I lives in had the split toilet seats in every bathroom. I am a person who immediately changes out the toilet seats, on my own dime, anyplace I live in (with permission if not "mine", never been an issue). HATE the split front toilet seat. Also hate wooden toilet seats. But fabric... I think my grandmothers both had them. And they grossed me out even as a child.

Suddenly liking the idea of only white towels and throw rugs that can be bleached...

Old 10-19-2016, 06:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,051,580 times
I don't think germs even were known by the general public until around the fifties and even then not everyone actually believed in them.

If you add three gold ceramic goldfish each with several separate ceramic gold bubbles coming out of their mouths on the wall of that pink bathroom it'd be a dead ringer for my grandma's bathroom. Small kid time, her bathroom was a two hole outhouse out behind the barn, so she was really happy with her fancy bathroom with everything covered with ruffly fabric with bows on it. She also adored microwaves and thought they were better than sliced bread. Which was also a new and improved item that appeared in her lifetime.

My mom had the Barbie dolls with huge skirt dresses to cover up the spare toilet paper roll parked on the back of the toilet. She had the shag rug but didn't always manage the shag seat cover. At a friend's house once, I saw a seat cover that covered the seat and not the lid. It was a zebra print or some such? Soft and fuzzy, anyway.

J.C. Penney was never really a style leader. They were one up from K-Mart and two steps up from Walmart, but they weren't anywhere we really wanted to get our school clothes from if we could help it. Same with their housewares.

Although my friend still has one of those under counter Rubbermaid pull out bins like in the J.C. Penny advertisement and it's really handy. I wouldn't mind one of those, myself. And it would be a hoot to get some different colored bath fixtures, those different colors of toilets, sinks and tubs. White gets so boring, and I don't see 'white' or 'cream' as much of a choice.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,514 times
As long as it's clean......

Old 10-20-2016, 05:15 AM

915 posts, read 1,626,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The tiles overlap the seam, the wall edge doesn't match, and the toilet is fake.
Good eye. I was fixated on the material and the color...............couldn't even get to the rest. And I think it likely is a doll house but geez, I would never put that tile/linoleum and that pink material in the same place ....or in any place actually. There should be laws against this sort of taste....I shall write my congressman today.

On another topic, I bet when you are a guest in someone's house, you notice if the trim is properly caulked, the wall paper print matches and the tiles professionally laid. I do and I marvel at the lack of craftsmanship..........................

Old 10-20-2016, 07:33 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
What a great idea! My coworker, a brand new employee, is a very outgoing woman, and she has been hounding the entire office to dress up for Halloween. Her chosen theme for us is "Flapper of the 1920s." A couple of us, myself included, have no interest in wearing a costume. Dressing up the office toilet with this monstrosity would be a great substitute and would satisfy her I'm sure

Old 10-20-2016, 10:49 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Nope... never saw anything like that here.
Maybe just a Scottish thing???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House