Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

I googled the slate thing and saw some pictures and I really adore that color (but that is a color I adore anyway - like for clothes and my truck).
But as I kept looking at pictures, I find that while I like the look of the actual appliance (more than the stainless steel), the color doesn't fit in as well with different decors (whereas you can put SS in pretty much any color scheme).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 11:32 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
I believe stainless came from commercial kitchens and people wanting commercial appliances in their home kitchens.

Since cheaper quality stainless steel appliances have flooded the market it no longer a symbol of quality.

I see more people moving away from stainless steel.

I also am seeing people move on from granite counter tops. I think butcher block counter tops are becoming more popular.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:21 PM

516 posts, read 429,632 times
I dont have appliances. I cook all my food over an open fire in my front yard because its easier to clean up. The birds do it.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:10 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
I dont have appliances. I cook all my food over an open fire in my front yard because its easier to clean up. The birds do it.
It's the only way to get the authentic, real organic experience!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:49 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post

So...do the critters wash the pots & pans & dishes? You know, lick them clean?

Old 12-01-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Dishwashers are the easiest appliance to alter. You can take the door off and apply what's called an appliance skin. The most popular one on the market changes an appliance to the stainless look, since many people don't change out all their appliances at once. But the company that makes them also makes white and black ones. A lot of people just use them to cover beat up doors but you could put a white one on the stainless appliance you don't like. It's not much harder than applying Contact paper and probably easier than putting one of those new skins they're selling to cover a laminate countertop.

Several different companies sell them. This is just one:
White Magnetic Dishwasher Skins, Covers, Panels | White Magnet Skins, Covers and Panels are BIG magnet sheets that cover dishwasher Appliances | SALES DISCOUNT NOW! | Beautiful Art White Appliance | Decorate White Appliance Magnet Top Bottom Freezer

GE also sells replacement panels for damaged dishwashers. Nothing says to have to keep the color you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzM5niMjD0

Thanks for the tip! Couldn't rep ya again.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:42 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I never liked white doors, trim, or cabinets until I bought a house with them installed and being too cheap to rip out cabinets or replace all the doors in the house for aesthetic reasons I spackled and sanded where needed, primed (oil based kilz) and repainted them with a semi gloss bright white exterior paint as you can often get higher grade exterior paint for cheaper (2 coats), installed brushed bronze knobs and hinges on the doors and cabinets (which previously had no knobs), and man does white look good combined with a grey paint scheme for the walls and black or white appliances go great with it. Whites, greys, blacks, and brushed bronze... a good combination. I chiseled the door knob recesses and adjusted the door frames so they all close smooth and perfect, too... no sticking. This introduced me to the world of finely sharpening and honing chisels and knives with sanding stones which is an oddly satisfying activity and gives me an excuse to buy a nice set of more expensive steak knives.

I wanted to get rid of that dingy warm yellow color people seemed to love so much in the past that looks like aged newspaper.. never liked that color. Plus everything was fingerprinted up and dirty, the walls in one of the bedrooms had a couple hundred thumb tack holes that took about 45 minutes to fill with spackle, lol.

Last edited by sholomar; 12-02-2016 at 06:53 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
When I bought my home it was from the original owner that bought in new in 1922... they never had kids and she was a widow for many years after her husband passed away.

It was like going back in time... 1922 everything.

My friends were ready to gut the place... rip out the double hung windows... original white wood cabinets and yellow and blue counters... even the stove was original and the bathroom fixtures.

Money was tight so I went room by room cleaning, repairing and refinishing...

When it came time to sell... got the highest price for the neighborhood and I had spent a penny on remodeling...

The buyers loved 1920 Craftsman bungalow and the matchstick hardwood, bay living room window and all the builtins...

Neighbors homes were dated... some had suffered numerous remodels.

Sometimes clean and simple is still the best...

Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 PM

^^^That sounds beautiful. My friends decided to update their 1940's SoCal bungalow...same deal...nothing had ever been changed. The kitchen had a fully functional, 1940's, Wedgewood gas stove/oven...white & chrome...perfect condition...a beauty. They had the contractors haul it away. I bet those contrctors made a bundle on it! I wanted to cry.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:10 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I love my Wedgewood I have now... gas and wood circa 1940...

It will outlast my and me more... moved it once to refinish the floor... took 4 guys just to budge it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House