Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 08:52 PM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times

Advertisements

We went to Lowes today and there are lots of types of wood screws available. We asked three employees there who tried to help but couldn't really answer our question.

We have a new-build home with carpet upstairs and we are having pre-finished hardwood put in. It was recommenced that we put in additional screws into the subfloor first to try to avoid nail pops down the road.

I have two questions:

(1) what type of screws do we buy (like 2", 3", any other features, are they "deck screws", did not see any called "floor screws")?

(2) how many screws will we need for 1100 sf?

I would greatly appreciate any help on figuring this out. We have an installer for the floors and I plan to ask him but I was hoping to get a consensus by getting a couple replies here. Also, I need to buy the screws before he arrives to install. Wood flooring itself is currently in the house acclimating.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 11:41 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You need something like these.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Grip-Rite-P...a-ec4a692dcda8

Old 01-02-2017, 08:20 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I'd stay away from 4" screws unless you know where all the wiring and plumbing are under the subfloor. You're going through 5/8" or 3/4" material into the floor joists, so 2" is plenty long enough. Deck screws are a good choice. Don't use drywall screws; they're prone to the heads snapping off.

You can either drill pilot holes slightly larger than the screw diameter (through the thickness of the subfloor only) or use a self-drilling screw without threads on the top 3/4"-1". This is so the threads won't engage the subflooring material, and thereby draw the subflooring tight to the joists.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:19 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Depends on the type of subfloor you have.

Is it regular multi-ply plywood or is it the newer OSB type?

Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 PM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
Thanks to all three of you for the information.

K'ledgeBldr, I am not sure. I am attaching a photo of it in case anyone can tell. I can ask the builder. It is a large production builder, but decent quality I would say (not lowest end but certainly not custom home).
Attached Thumbnails
Type of screws needed to reinforce subfloor?-squeaky-floor.jpg  

Old 01-02-2017, 02:30 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Looks like regular plywood to me. 1 1/2" screws should be fine, but you can always use 2", but I wouldn't go longer. If you look for deck screws that have little nibs under the screw head, they will self countersink a little better than others. #8 screws should be OK, but #10 will be a little stronger. I wouldn't use smaller than #8.
I prefer to use square drive screws in my stuff, or the star drive screws. You have much fewer stripped heads than with phillips heads.
Just follow the lines of the other fasteners on the floor.
If you put screws every 6" you should have a VERY secure floor.

If you are going to be driving a lot of screws, I suggest you use an impact driver. It will go much faster. If you don't have one, or access to to, a regular screw gun will work OK.

You might need two 5# boxes of screws for 1100 SF, maybe more. I would buy two 5# boxes, and go back if you need more.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I did this a few years ago. I did use drywall screws, without any issues, but I drilled a pilot hole and countersunk for each screw. I would strongly recommend doing this.

Don't try to use your el cheapo 1/4" drill, though. Either use an actual drywall screw driver, or a big drill.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:19 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Buy 10# of these
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deck-Plus-5...crews/50328655

Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Magnifying that photo makes it looks more like particle board, (look at the chipped corner in one of the joints). OP, can you provide a clear close up photo ? If it is particle board, and it was my home about to be covered with hardwood flooring, I'd replace it with T&G plywood, glued to the floor joists, then screwed to the joists....but never with sheetrock screws. Much easier to prevent squeaks now than to try to eliminate them later.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-02-2017, 04:10 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
I would be surprised if it was particle board in a new build - but who knows what some builders use.
If there is a floor register (for heating), pull it up and look at the edge. That should tell you what the material is.
Plywood will have thin layers, OSB will have a surface that looks solid, and particleboard will also have a surface that looks solid, but will be a lighter color and kind of look like glued together sawdust.

Or just ask the builder what they used, or ask someone that can identify the wood. Its not that hard.

Or take a close up photo. If you can get a damp rag and wipe it down before you take the phot, it would probably help.

Like Gemstone said, its its particle board, it does change the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House