Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:57 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
I think best solution is like between mudroom and garage; this way for busy mom's some of the dirtiest clothes can be left in the garage or mudroom and then right into the laundry and they even monitor while feeding babies / kids.

Been there / done that!

and Done!
I loved that location! I could say, "Don't even come in here wearing that." In the summer, you could remove the offending duds in the garage. Colder, the mudroom/laundry room.

I didn't carry large loads of laundry from the second floor. I tied them into an old top sheet and kicked it down the steps. Hanging and folded went up in small lots when anyone was going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 02:53 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Buy a one story house. Problem solved!

Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When the hose connection on my washer on the second floor leaked, we found that the drain was clogged with building rubble. That was a mess. I never thought to shine a flashlight into the drain or run a snake down to see if it was clear.

Wow! Thanks for this post; I better check.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:56 AM

490 posts, read 838,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Buy a one story house. Problem solved!
That's the problem in some parts of California.. not longer much land available in certain cities, so they have no choice but to maximize utilization of land by building 2-story homes.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:10 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
I don't have a washer and dryer on the 2nd story of my 2 story house, I have it on the main level. So I can't address the issue of noise/ vibration (tho you may be able to do something about that with sound proofing), or the water issue (never had a washer overflow or hose break, and I'm 64).

However, the 1 thing I can say- as you get older, with many aches and pains, or if you ever end up with surgery, etc. Carrying laundry, either clean or dirty, gets very hard going up and down stairs. It seems the stairs get very long and grow with the weight of the laundry basket.

We now have a small dresser near the W & D, and rods, and shelving near the laundry room. That is where all the clothes go now. We still have dressers upstairs, but they hold the stuff that gets used once in a blue moon. I open those dresser, maybe 1 or 2 times a yr.

This may be something you will want to consider depending on your age, health, and/or how long you plan on staying in the house as you age.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 AM

560 posts, read 540,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If I ever get to design my own house, the washer and dryer would be between my bedroom closet and the master bath, where all the laundry is generated.
I'd love to have that too! i find the newer construction have a drain in the flooring of the laundry room if it's upstairs along with leak proof valve too. My cousin actually have 2 laundry rooms; one upstairs between the children's bedrooms and the loft, and second one is in their finished walkout basement. Pretty genius because 90% of laundry is all clothes which can be quickly transferred to all relevant bedrooms upstairs, bedding, same thing and towels. Basement laundry room is actually used mostly for the pool towels and guests.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
My mom's home has a 2 story single family house built in 2004 and has the same paranoia (that she has to be at home while the washing machine is on). It's never leaked. It's rare for most homes to have a bedroom downstairs on a 2 story house unless it's huge.

I'm in an apartment now and the washing machine leaks a little bit of water like once a month with large loads.

Sears.com

You can catch minor leaks with washing machine trays. I've never been in a massive washing machine flood.
All washing machines, especially those on the second floor, should have metal hoses. These hoses are not expensive and keep hose leaks from happening.

If you have a leak in ANY appliance or toilet, you should have your water pressure regulator valve checked. You can buy a tester at Home Depot for about $15. Or call a plumber to do it for you. Too high a pressure coming into the house can not only cause leaks in toilets, ice makers, etc., but can prevent a flood in your house if a pipe bursts when you are not at home because of too high a pressure. Check it out on the internet. A simple fix that can save thousands of $$'s. Our neighborhood of 128 homes did a massive check of these regulators and MANY homes needed new regulators. This was after one home flooded while owners were on vacation for two weeks. A huge, expensive mess. Our houses are 15 years old. If you have a new water heater, your regulator valve may have been replaced then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House