Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Sorry, but 20 years of IT industry here and fixed lines are Still king.
Yup. Ethernet has one big advantage: it is not subject to wi-fi channel congestion. Where I live there's often 15 to 20 wifi AP's from neighbors all competing for 11 channels. The overlapping signals reduce the effective throughput. Sure, I could go to 5 ghz where there's less congestion, but it's only a matter of time before everybody else does that too.

Wired my house for Cat 5 years ago and glad I did. When you want a rock solid reliable connection at full speed that is never compromised, you can't beat Ethernet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 11:14 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
To answer the OP, most of those cables are TV coax, installed before digital television. I don't see any HDMI cables or Cat5/Cat6 ethernet cables. I see three lines for telephone handsets. One line may be wired for ethernet.

For the wifi/ethernet debate, wifi is half duplex and good enough for most low bandwidth internet use. I have an external hard drive connected via ethernet, and gigabit ethernet is much better for transferring large files. Ethernet also has much better range. My shop is connected to the house with direct burial Cat6. The wifi signal out there is unusable, but ethernet still runs full speed.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:24 PM

630 posts, read 657,969 times
Well the market is moving towards all consumer devices and appliances on wifi only... many laptops don't even have Ethernet ports anymore...

Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
Well the market is moving towards all consumer devices and appliances on wifi only... many laptops don't even have Ethernet ports anymore...
That doesn't change the fact that cat5/cat6 is superior to wifi in terms of performance.

I have a work laptop that I use in various places, yet when I get back to my office I dock it to take advantage of the superior performance of a wired connection.

At home I have pulled cat5 to my TV and desktop computer, while other devices at home are wifi based for convenience. The hardware devices have superior performance and fewer service interruptions than anything I have on wifi.

Sure, wifi is more convenient and requires less infrastructure. But it is inferior in every other way. I cannot imagine why anybody would argue against copper if given a choice.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:11 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Agreed. That is only 288 watts a day, or 0.28 megawatts.

That is a cost of about 3 cents/day, or $11.00 a year.

I will happily pay $11.00 a year for a more reliable, faster connection.
You meant to say 0.288 Kilowatt, right?

Old 04-14-2017, 12:41 AM

630 posts, read 657,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Sure, wifi is more convenient and requires less infrastructure. But it is inferior in every other way. I cannot imagine why anybody would argue against copper if given a choice.
History is full of examples of advanced technologies that disappeared because a more convenient "good enough" alternative took over. In any case, for what most people use the internet, wifi speeds are enough. The real bottleneck is the internet connection so it doesn't matter whether you have wifi or wired.

Wired fixed will live on for corporate use but consumer market has essentially abandoned wired connections.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge14 View Post
I was told to post a link in this forum of my thread in "Computers". I need some help with the wiring, if you think you can help, the link is below:

New house is prewired with ethernet? Please help.

Thank you.
You were told wrong, TOS on this site specifically states that duplicate threads are not allowed.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:56 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Why is this even a debate? Wired beats Wireless in every category except for convenience. Wired is faster, more secure, uses LESS POWER (given the waaay higher transfer speeds), and more robust.

I wouldn't say that the consumer market has abandoned wireless. The issue is that for every one desktop computer in a household there are probably 3 or 4 portable devices (laptops, phones, tablets) that use wireless.

A properly implemented local network should utilize both, IMO.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
You meant to say 0.288 Kilowatt, right?
I really have to stop posting early in the morning before coffee. I obviously have unit problems before my brain fires up.

Yes. KW. Still only pennies a day.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
The average user is only browsing facebook or playing xbox games. They aren't running a server or downloading/uploading hundreds of gigs of data per day. The market reflects this by offering consumer products with only wifi networking capability. I don't miss the days where I was basically chained to a big bulky desktop computer and Ethernet cord. Now I take my laptop outside on nice days and work on it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House