Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:25 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times

Advertisements

We are putting up a six foot privacy fence
We have a recent survey and have been very careful
We have the permits
It's all legit and legal

A Tale of Two Neighbors:

One neighbor behind us gets all worried we are taking a piece of his postage-stamp land. But he is very nice about it. Comes over, introduces himself, brings up the topic. We offer him coffee, we small talk. We compare surveys, walk around the yard. He actually has a point about accommodating some landscaping at the corner where the properties intersect and we end up moving the fence stakes a bit in, even though legally we don't have to.

Other neighbor shows up at my doorstep yesterday. Doesn't introduce herself. Starts yelling at me that we are taking her land. Says she just went down to the town and they are going to come out. Won't leave my doorstep. I end the conversation and shut the door.

Town comes out. Turns out she lied and told them it was an 8 foot fence. They are looking at what is clearly a six foot fence and laughing. They leave.

Neighbor comes back. Says we are taking her land. I say we did the survey, get the heck off my property. You want to sue us, sue us. Good luck with that.

Lesson learned...If you are worried about a fence, broach the topic nicely with your neighbor and you might get what you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 08:32 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Good fences make good neighbors (I think someone said that once haha) but only after they're up.

Good thing you got proper surveys and all, because when there are no fences, people do tend to do the old land-creep thing and gradually enlarge their property. I'm doing it at the moment myself with the woods in back because the lot will never be sold at this rate, and if it does sell, I'll just quit mowing out into the woods like I'm doing now.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:17 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
I don't think there's any lesson to be learned here...

You were intelligent enough to get the right information and apply it correctly. If that had been my neighbor, my pleasantries would have been non-existent; I'd have told her to F-off knowing she had no idea what she was talking about.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
If the neighbor already IS insane or unreasonable, yes. (I'm not going to post our own long saga of the NFH because there are already threads of that nature on C-D and elsewhere.)

Otherwise, it only makes them worry, and some people don't worry at all. At least this bigger group of people can be talked with in a decent manner.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Will your fence spoil the look of the properties, could we perhaps see a photo of whats going on.. some houses arent meant to be fenced off... and open plan... others arent. where I live everyone has a garden fence all the same and it looks lovely , we all have black wrought iron round all our gardens but flats over the road have open communal ones.. I dont personally like them as dogs stray in and do the toilet.. I like mine in order with nice flowers. Six feet is still very high if its a front garden, different if at the back, mine is that height out the back and allowed.. but no higher...

Old 04-12-2017, 10:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Will your fence spoil the look of the properties, could we perhaps see a photo of whats going on.. some houses arent meant to be fenced off... and open plan... others arent.
Come on, I mean, really? Too bad. It's his property to do what he wants.

I'm certainly not going to come to my neighbor and ask if they mind if I put up a fence. I might knock on your door and tell you what I am doing, but there will be no conversation about what you want.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:59 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
If you don't have kids or pets I don't get the purpose of a fence...actually even if you do have them, what does a fence do? Apparently people still argue about land whether there is an actual fence or not. Kids are rarely playing in their yards any more and should know the limits of their yard, otherwise not be left unattended. Even pets can be on a chain to "do their business".

To me a fence is just ugly and chops up everyone's view - too territorial. But yeah, people can do whatever they want on their property if it doesn't affect me. Usually just an expensive eyesore. Even people who don't want to spend on a fence will often find some way to "mark " the corners of their property with a gazebo, or bird birth or swingset or toolshed just as far away from the house as possible....weird.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:04 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you don't have kids or pets I don't get the purpose of a fence...actually even if you do have them, what does a fence do? Apparently people still argue about land whether there is an actual fence or not. Kids are rarely playing in their yards any more and should know the limits of their yard, otherwise not be left unattended. Even pets can be on a chain to "do their business".

To me a fence is just ugly and chops up everyone's view - too territorial. But yeah, people can do whatever they want on their property if it doesn't affect me. Usually just an expensive eyesore. Even people who don't want to spend on a fence will often find some way to "mark " the corners of their property with a gazebo, or bird birth or swingset or toolshed just as far away from the house as possible....weird.
My kids play in their fenced in yard and with 4 dogs, they can break a chain ( any dog can!).

My fence is rather ugly, it needs painted. I dont care what the 2 neighbors think about it. The back neighbor has concrete for a yard and is never out plus his wife is bat crap crazy. The side neighbors are never in their backyard and are too drunk to even notice anything.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:18 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you don't have kids or pets I don't get the purpose of a fence...actually even if you do have them, what does a fence do?
Having a fenced backyard allows me to let my dog out into the yard to do his business safely. He can't run off, be hit by a car, and my neighbor's dogs can't get to him (although it does sound like they're coming through the fence sometimes).

It also offers a modicum of privacy in a densely populated neighborhood.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
My kids play in their fenced in yard all the time. To be honest, once they are older, I plan on taking a few of them down. My neighborhood has a lot of unfenced properties and it looks great.

What's a survey run anyway? I'd like to get one done as I think an arborvitae fenceline is really 3-4 feet on my property rather than sitting on the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House