Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,161 times

Advertisements

My house, like a very large number of others here in Phoenix, has the washer and dryer in the garage (I understand this is rather common in warm climate areas). The garage shares a wall with a bedroom. One of my summer plans this year is to convert said bedroom into a utility/laundry room.

I know most people's first reaction is "why would you kill a bedroom for some laundry?!?!?!", and the answer to that is - the house is 1400 square feet, and 4 bedrooms. I think 3 bedrooms and a laundry room is a better fit in that amount of square footage, plus I use my garage as an auto shop space...I've found odors from the shop end up in the dryer , and I'd like to reclaim the space the washer/dryer currently occupy for other shop items.

That said, ideally, I'd like to leave the existing water and drain hookups in the garage for use with a utility sink in the garage, and add another washing machine outlet box with drain in the utility room. The drain is an in-wall style, as the house sits on a concrete slab, and I really don't want to get into busting up the concrete to add a drain.

It seems to me that adding a 2nd set of taps above or below the existing ones would not be feasible, and boring the needed holes through one of the studs to fit the drain line through seems like it would significantly weaken that particular stud. Is there another option, or am I just over thinking things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 05:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
The garage shares a wall with a bedroom.
One of my summer plans this year is to convert said bedroom into a utility/laundry room.

That said, ideally, I'd like to leave the existing water and drain hookups in the garage for use with a utility sink in the garage, and add another washing machine outlet box with drain in the utility room.

...am I just over thinking things?
Very.

Hire a licensed plumber, he'll have everything except the drywall done before lunch.
You do the drywall... including the access/demo on the garage side of the wall.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Well, here's something else for you to think about. Most likely that bedroom floor is 3.5" higher than the garage floor. It keeps heavy gases and any drainage water or busted piping at the washer in garage and not in the house. It would be prudent to install a drain pan for the washer. Unless you plan to move the appliances a long way from the current drain/water supply location, it's not all that hard to to make the change. You won't be able to use them both at the same time unless you just like sewer water in the house. The sewer can't handle 2 washers draining at the same time. Not knowing exactly the environment but it sounds like you are over thinking it. A good plumber is the guy that you need to chat with. He can tell what you have and what needs to be done.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Phoenix required permits for plumbing work of this nature so consider that first, the surrounding areas are all the same. A bad plumber will do it without permitting just make sure they are licensed contractors, the ROC is very good out here don't just ignore it.

If you just wanted to swap the location from one side of the wall to the other there wouldn't need a permit as that is just drywall work, cut the hole in the bedroom and rotate the valves around. That's a diy job.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:25 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
If you just wanted to swap the location from one side of the wall to the other there wouldn't need a permit as that is just drywall work, cut the hole in the bedroom and rotate the valves around. That's a diy job.

Ah, no. It doesn't work that way. Drainbox has a back, and the hot/cold would be reversed. Suffice it to say, plumbing is not your forte.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:23 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
My house, like a very large number of others here in Phoenix, has the washer and dryer in the garage (I understand this is rather common in warm climate areas). The garage shares a wall with a bedroom. One of my summer plans this year is to convert said bedroom into a utility/laundry room.

I know most people's first reaction is "why would you kill a bedroom for some laundry?!?!?!", and the answer to that is - the house is 1400 square feet, and 4 bedrooms. I think 3 bedrooms and a laundry room is a better fit in that amount of square footage, plus I use my garage as an auto shop space...I've found odors from the shop end up in the dryer , and I'd like to reclaim the space the washer/dryer currently occupy for other shop items.

That said, ideally, I'd like to leave the existing water and drain hookups in the garage for use with a utility sink in the garage, and add another washing machine outlet box with drain in the utility room. The drain is an in-wall style, as the house sits on a concrete slab, and I really don't want to get into busting up the concrete to add a drain.

It seems to me that adding a 2nd set of taps above or below the existing ones would not be feasible, and boring the needed holes through one of the studs to fit the drain line through seems like it would significantly weaken that particular stud. Is there another option, or am I just over thinking things?
Drilling a stud for a drain line shouldn't be a problem. Just based on my own experiences, I'd look hard at pulling a permit & getting an engineer's plans for a job like this- any sane future buyer will require it to be ripped out if it's done without a permit- so pay twice & add no value, or do it right once & add value to the property. An engineer's plan will cost a few hundred & a permit will cost a few hundred & the plumbing itself will cost a few hundred, but the city is surprisingly easy to work with if you go in with the right attitude. I wouldn't like the additional cost, but I can see the value added if it's done well & properly permitted. Buyers like thoughtful add-ons, good storage - maybe a place in that utility room for an extra freezer for Costco trips?

Bringing the building authorities in will increase the hassle now, but they can help you do it right & legal, so it won't need to be ripped out later. Things like requiring a special dedicated outlet for the washer, possibly a pan under the washer, good venting for the dryer, a ceiling vent for moisture etc - they all seem like a hassle now, but doing it right doesn't necessarily cost that much extra. The materials cost the same whether you get them installed the legal way or not.

If you're a car-guy, the permitting process is a great time to legally tack-on upgrades that would make the garage nicer too- maybe a couple 220 plugs for a big compressor & a welder, a row of 20a outlets along your workbench, extra lighting in the garage so you can work safer, a water tap & outlet for a swamp-cooler, possibly even power for a mini-split, so you can spend more time working & less time sweating or freezing out there..

Old 05-31-2017, 10:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Drilling a stud for a drain line shouldn't be a problem. Just based on my own experiences, I'd look hard at pulling a permit & getting an engineer's plans for a job like this- any sane future buyer will require it to be ripped out if it's done without a permit.
You would get a permit to duplicate a hot and cold water tap and a drain from one side of a wall to the other? Just a waste of money. Engineer's plans? Once you rip the drywall off, you don't need plans. Just show the plumber where you want the new washer box to be located. Just thinking about it, you would probably need it to be offset a few inches from the other one so they don't interfere.

And what do you mean "any buyer will require it to be removed if it was done without a permit"? How will a buyer of your house know whether some plumbing work done 5 or 15 years ago was done with or without a permit, unless you the seller tell them?

Old 05-31-2017, 06:00 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You would get a permit to duplicate a hot and cold water tap and a drain from one side of a wall to the other? Just a waste of money. Engineer's plans? Once you rip the drywall off, you don't need plans. Just show the plumber where you want the new washer box to be located. Just thinking about it, you would probably need it to be offset a few inches from the other one so they don't interfere.

And what do you mean "any buyer will require it to be removed if it was done without a permit"? How will a buyer of your house know whether some plumbing work done 5 or 15 years ago was done with or without a permit, unless you the seller tell them?
The o.p. is in Phoenix - the MLS retains old listings, as does zillow, trulia and about a hundred other websites- If your home has changed hands & somebody took a listing picture, we know what it used to look like. Further, many of your building materials have *dates* on them, Romex, drywall, etc. so any future buyer can tell when you had the walls open. Arizona has very strong disclosure laws, if you lie about doing work without a permit, you're going to get sued & you're going to lose. The standard disclosure form asks the seller point-blank if they did work without a permit, so you get to disclose it, or lie. There are very specific code requirements for a laundry area, and if you just have a plumber install a washer-box you're *going* to miss them - like having a vent for moisture, and a specific breaker just for the washing machine, and probably a dozen other cues that a home inspector will eat your lunch with when you go to sell if you don't have professional help from the start. Engineers plans are necessary as part of the permitting process & they'll clue you in to things that need to be done to meet current code - they aren't that expensive & getting a permit in Phoenix is a 1/2 hour deal if you have stamped plans. The median home in Phoenix is $200k today, and who knows what it'll be in 15 years, why create a hairball for yourself over a few hundred bucks? If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House