Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 03:46 PM

10,116 posts, read 7,781,735 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My mom's A/C stopped working..air was coming out but outside unit not making any noise. She called someone out to come fix it. Guy charged 170.00 to turn off booster/s that she uses in winter (?). Mom said he'll be coming out again in the winter to turn them back on. And of course she'll pay another 170.00.

She is older so I just want to make sure she isn't being scammed. I know nothing of these boosters but never remember paying 340.00 a year or so to have them turned on and off at my home.

Does this seem right? Thanks.

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 04:07 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Sounds like a scam to me...

But the description of what is being done, what is being "turn on/off", touched, or otherwise messed with is quite vague!

Old 05-11-2018, 11:29 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Booster-units, sounds scammish to me.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:04 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
The only “booster’ I have ever heard of is a duct booster fan, but I don’t see how that would stop the ac from working.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:09 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,561,846 times
Boosters? On an hvac compressor? Sounds like utter nonsense to me as well. What this sounds like to me, is that the house fan in the exchange (basement or attic) was running which was blowing the air, but the capacitor in the outside unit was shot, which is a VERY common part that does wear out from time to time and costs less than $100.

My previous house was new construction via 2011 from a national spec builder. Not the highest quality. The day we went under contract to sell it (fall 2015), the lower level ac went out. I noticed warmish air blowing through the vents. Went to the basement and could hear the fan blowing the air. Then went outside to find one of the two compressors not spinning and making a humming noise, like it had seized up. Literally cost me just $120 for a guy to come out, look at it, and say "yep, capacitor is done, have several on the truck, be right back". A capacitor is about the size of a D-cell battery and it's usually very easy to access from the panel on the compressor. He pulled the two little wires off the old one, put in the new one, hooked up the two little wires, flipped the switch, and it all fired back up without a problem.

Booster.... sheezz.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:31 PM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
the only booster i can think of is a compressor hard start kit . i have not seen one used in decades .

https://www.freedomhvacal.com/techni...ard-start-kit/

Old 05-11-2018, 08:26 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,973 times
The only thing I can think of that could be called a "Booster" is electric duct heat but there should be no reason to have to manually turn that off and on, the thermostat should handle that. In cool mode the heaters should be disabled and the outdoor condenser enabled. Sounds like bull to me!!

Old 05-12-2018, 05:24 AM

10,116 posts, read 7,781,735 times
Thanks everyone. I'll have to talk to mom and get more detail but when she first told me about guy coming twice a year to do this and charge 170, it just didn't sound right.

It is a 20 year unit so maybe it being old has something to do with it to keep it going?

It's unreal how much people try to take advantage of senior. She got a paining quite for a ranch brick home. She just needed the trim done and the first guy, that was reported as being Christian, gave her a quote of 12,000. lol

Old 05-12-2018, 09:20 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
My experience in Florida was that most "Christian" tradespeople learned their "Christianity" in prison.

If your mother is of an age and you can determine if this was a scam and your state has the laws set up, report the scammer for elder abuse. That could put a crimp in his style.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:19 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,437,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Hi,

My mom's A/C stopped working..air was coming out but outside unit not making any noise. She called someone out to come fix it. Guy charged 170.00 to turn off booster/s that she uses in winter (?). Mom said he'll be coming out again in the winter to turn them back on. And of course she'll pay another 170.00.

She is older so I just want to make sure she isn't being scammed. I know nothing of these boosters but never remember paying 340.00 a year or so to have them turned on and off at my home.

Does this seem right? Thanks.

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
The only boosters I know of are used when certain rooms remain cool or hot to push the air to the farthest point. They are called Duct Boosters and are questionable at best. That may have been one thing he did but maybe she has a dual fuel system and it wasn't flipping over to the a/c unit. He may also have been talking about the hard start capacitor but that wouldn't require turning off and on. Ask her the name of the company and the invoice number and see if you can call and get a good explanation of what was done for that $170 and why they need to come back. Perhaps he recommended coming back for a winter checkup to make sure everything runs smoothly and she doesn't have an issue when she needs heat and that may not be $170 but just a service checkup call price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House