Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 11:33 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,758,762 times

Advertisements

We recently (in the past few weeks) painted out porch floor. Two things are worrying me:

1) Hubby washed it down with Jomax before painting. I was not out there "supervising" during this time. Later, after we finished painting, it rained and I went out there and was using a sponge mop to get the standing water off and it was soapy! Hubby swears he rinsed well, but the evidence was right there staring me in the face. Will this affect the ability of the paint to stick or cure?

2) We had to paint in 90 degree weather with high humidity. Will this affect the curing of the paint? A friend who lives 'way down south said it would be ok eventually, it just might take a while longer.

I do NOT want to have to go through painting that porch floor again anytime soon!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I would have never painted with it being that hot and humid - good luck with it ever curing properly.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:05 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
We always had a problem with the paint on the front porch peeling. The painter finally came up with a solution to have the floor stained. He refinished the floors and then stained it the color we wanted and have not had any problems. The stain has been on the floor for over 7 years.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I would have never painted with it being that hot and humid - good luck with it ever curing properly.
It wasn't my choice. Long story.

Of course, it's always humid here. There may be two or three days a year when the humidity gets down into sane levels.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
We always had a problem with the paint on the front porch peeling. The painter finally came up with a solution to have the floor stained. He refinished the floors and then stained it the color we wanted and have not had any problems. The stain has been on the floor for over 7 years.
If I could afford to hire someone to do it I wouldn't have had to wait until it was hot and humid.

But that does sound like a great idea.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:05 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
The "soapy" is normal for freshly applied paint that gets wet. The paint was a water based paint and the acrylic liquids will suds until they've had a chance to cure. If the floor looks good after it has had the chance to cure, there's no issue. My only hope is that the product you used is a Urethane based coating. If not, it probably won't last long and will have to be removed the next time you need to paint it. If the floor had grey colored wood before you painted, expect it to peel later on. The issue is the water based paints do not penetrate, they merely coat the surface. If you were to look at the grey wood under a microscope, the cells of the wood will be broke open and look like hair standing up. This "hair" is what the water based paints will stick to. Come the first major temperature change and the hair will break off taking the paint with it. It may take a few years for the area to get large enough for it to peel but it will be an issue. Anytime you have grey colored exposed wood, it MUST have an oil based primer on or expect peeling.

For water based paints, the worse thing that can happen to it is drying too fast. The high humidity is ideal for water based paints. It gives the paint more time to cure.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The "soapy" is normal for freshly applied paint that gets wet. The paint was a water based paint and the acrylic liquids will suds until they've had a chance to cure. If the floor looks good after it has had the chance to cure, there's no issue. My only hope is that the product you used is a Urethane based coating. If not, it probably won't last long and will have to be removed the next time you need to paint it. If the floor had grey colored wood before you painted, expect it to peel later on. The issue is the water based paints do not penetrate, they merely coat the surface. If you were to look at the grey wood under a microscope, the cells of the wood will be broke open and look like hair standing up. This "hair" is what the water based paints will stick to. Come the first major temperature change and the hair will break off taking the paint with it. It may take a few years for the area to get large enough for it to peel but it will be an issue. Anytime you have grey colored exposed wood, it MUST have an oil based primer on or expect peeling.

For water based paints, the worse thing that can happen to it is drying too fast. The high humidity is ideal for water based paints. It gives the paint more time to cure.
Well, I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or not. lol

" My only hope is that the product you used is a Urethane based coating." What product are you referring to? The paint or the primer?

We did put two coats of Kilz2 on it before we put the paint on. We let each coat (all 4, 2 primer, 2 topcoat) dry at the least for a whole day before we recoated. (I know, I've heard that Zinsser is better, but I forgot that when we bought Kilz.) But we did prime well.

Your remark about the "suds" being normal does make me feel better. Also about the high humidity being ideal for water-based paints. I've never heard that before. I just hope it really works that way!

I haven't moved any porch furniture or the doormat back onto it since we finished (about 2 weeks ago) and I'm mopping any standing water off after a rain....I really, really do not want to have to paint that porch again!

But it did inspire me to paint my plain white front door a pretty color. Think I'll start a new thread about that.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
When I read this, I thought of Anne Shirley:

"You have given me hope, Mrs. Lynde. I shall always think of you as a benefactress." LOL

Old 08-24-2017, 11:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post

But it did inspire me to paint my plain white front door a pretty color. Think I'll start a new thread about that.
Red.

Most historic homes around us have red doors.

https://www.quora.com/Home-Improveme...oor-on-a-house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House