Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 12:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times

Advertisements

I want to paint my front door a pretty color. I'm having a hard time deciding between a blue-sy turquoise or an old-fashioned green, like they used a lot back in the day on walls and porch gliders and such. Sort of jadeite-like.

I've always loved that color ever since I was a child and it was on the walls in one of the bedrooms in my Nanny's house. I wanted to paint the walls in my late 20s house that color but I'm just too lazy, too much wall space. lol Interestingly, the walls were originally that very color....I can see it at the edges of a new doorbell the previous owner installed. They painted over it with a very light baby blue. It's not bad, but I've never been a big fan of baby blue.

Has anyone found a paint color that is that old-fashioned green? I have a few samples but haven't made a decision yet. The one on my walls has sort of a gray cast to the green....that's the only way I know how to describe it. I thought "Vegan" by Sherwin-Williams was it when I looked at it on their web site, but the actual paint chip is much more grassy green than I thought it would be.

I'm like a kid in a candy store in front of a display of paint samples. lol I want to try them all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 01:29 PM

348 posts, read 415,943 times
Maybe Jade dragon or Privilege green?
Try using the ColorSnap app from Sherwin-Williams. My old porch glider was painted a colour similar to Privilege Green. I'm currently considering Jade Dragon on my bedroom walls. My target colour was a soothing medium shade grey-green.

-T.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:41 PM

531 posts, read 452,595 times
SW 2846 Roycroft Bronze Green

Victorian porch and lawn furniture was painted a 50/50 mix of Kelly green and black. There's nothing close to that in the SW line; the problem is all their greens are on the blue side while the authentic colors are olive. Apparently their Phthalo Green tinting color is bluish.

Valspar has some dark Olive colors.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:04 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
There once was a color called Charleston Green that seemed to be used everywhere as trim on now historic white houses. It was a very dark green, as if it had black in it. Check it out on google as "Charleston green paint".

Old 08-22-2017, 11:25 AM

531 posts, read 452,595 times
SW 2847 Roycroft Bottle Green
SW 2809 Rookwood Shutter Green

are two darker authentic greens. I use a lot of Bottle Green for window sash. It's also a good, arresting color for a single, big classical column on a corner porch.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
When I think of an old fashioned green, it's something like Benjamin Moore "Colonial Verdigris", but maybe you're thinking more "Dunmore Green"?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:25 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
More like "Dunmore Green". A 1950s sort of green.

When I googled Dunmore Green I found this picture, which is awfully darn close to what I'm thinking of...so thanks for the suggestion! On the blog where this came from it says it is "Rosemary Green" but I dunno, the paint drop pictured doesn't seem to match the wall color in the photo. It also mentions the Dunmore and also shows a bathroom picture with another one that is what I'm thinking of, called Richmond Green.

That blog post was interesting, here is a link if anyone else is searching for this kind of green: GOING GREEN – PART I

I also like the 50s greens that are lighter colored, more aqua-ish or lime-ish. There's a picture of that type on the blog page, on a trestle table and benches. It's kinda hard for me to decide which I like better! Argh! Too many choices!

Thanks for all the replies! I'm getting closer!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,257 times
My grandparents house was white with a color similar to shamrock green trim and doors. It seemed to be a popular color at as far back as the 1950's, even earlier.

The Sherwin Williams shamrock green is a little darker than what I was thinking, possibly closer to a kelly green color

Sw6741c derby shire, sw6748.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House