Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 04:14 PM

32,984 posts, read 36,499,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It's not "if I say so"..

It just 'is'. Plywood or OSB Panels: Which is better?

I've looked around the various outlets for plywood for my shop ceiling. I can say this much- the quality of plywood has gone the crapper in the past few years.
It is. I got three personal references for this guy and everyone loved him. I guess he was just old school, but my high school friend is the same way. He hates OSB, but he's 60 and his house was built in the 1920s.

I'm not going to argue with the guy who does a great job and guarantees his work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 06:25 PM

4,908 posts, read 2,703,906 times
things I've learned since buying my house..that there is something to be said for apartment or condo living..no maintenance!..

Old 09-04-2017, 07:18 PM

4,265 posts, read 3,188,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Think about the qualifications to become a commissioned salesperson and then run to your local real estate lawyer to monitor them and protect your interests. It is far cheaper to go straight to the lawyer as they are less expensive than a commission and highly educated.

Use a qualified, professional appraiser instead a salesperson's guess about the value of the property, especially in relation to the surrounding area.

Never, ever use anyone especially property inspectors the commissioned salespeople recommend as they are all part of the same food chain. Always hire your own people such as electricians, plumbers to do the home inspection in their area of expertise.

Give preference to FSBO to avoid paying unnecessary third party charges.

The qualifications to become a real estate agent vary from state to state. You argument may hold some weight in some states but not others. In some cases, for some people, just using a real estate lawyer can work...I've done it myself. That said, I've been involved in literally thousands of transactions. Most people are only involved in a few transactions their entire life. By the way, Lawyers don't walk on water....I know many of them and I've seen first hand many errors!

Appraisers are always used when there is a mortgage involved. Would you not use one because they are "part of the food chain?"

In terms of using electricians, plumbers, a roofer, a general contractor, a PE for the structural aspect, that method can work but still wouldn't cover all a home inspector should do as part of an inspection. Consider the fact that they likely have a vested interest in doing repairs. In many states, Home Inspectors do not perform repairs....just tell you what is wrong. Also consider the fact that those in the trades are one of the main reasons there are Home Inspectors! Don't get me wrong, this method can work but is difficult to coordinate and would cost significantly more that a Home Inspector. You don't go to a surgeon for a general checkup...the same really applies to a house. You just have to find the right inspector.

Quite frankly you come across as having "trust" issues. I would find it hard to believe that a Home Inspectors would be in cahoots with real estate agents....the financial and legal liabilities are far too great.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:21 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,517,933 times
We have owned 4 homes and the things I have learned are -

- buy a home with an attached garage that you can walk right into the kitchen with your groceries
- buy a one story home - going up and down stairs every time you are in a hurry or forgot something in your bedroom is a
real pain
- go smaller - I really hate cleaning my large home and dont want a stranger in my home doing the cleaning - your family
will also be closer in a small home
- pay off that mortgage as soon as possible - a great feeling
- dont be turned off my nasty carpet or ugly colors - easy fix - dont be fooled by staging - look at the important things such
as HVAC, roof, windows, foundation
- Hire the most bad ass inspector you can find - NEVER use the realtors inspector

Old 09-04-2017, 07:40 PM

4,573 posts, read 5,691,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Do not ignore the impact that the neighbors could have. Barking dogs, junk in the yard across the street, lack of parking on a narrow street, neighboring house has an 80ft cedar tree on the fenceline growing over and onto your roof, blah blah.

You can do a lot with your own house, but you are to a large degree at the mercy of your neighbors. Choose 'em wisely.
I bought +10 acre lot, and still researched my neighbors before I committed.

That's not to say that you won't have turnover and get a new, horrible, neighbor, but at least with acreage you have a buffer zone.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 PM

4,265 posts, read 3,188,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
We have owned 4 homes and the things I have learned are -

- buy a home with an attached garage that you can walk right into the kitchen with your groceries
- buy a one story home - going up and down stairs every time you are in a hurry or forgot something in your bedroom is a
real pain
- go smaller - I really hate cleaning my large home and dont want a stranger in my home doing the cleaning - your family
will also be closer in a small home
- pay off that mortgage as soon as possible - a great feeling
- dont be turned off my nasty carpet or ugly colors - easy fix - dont be fooled by staging - look at the important things such
as HVAC, roof, windows, foundation
- Hire the most bad ass inspector you can find - NEVER use the realtors inspector
I like what you have posted but have to ask you. You hire (hopefully) a really, good, qualified agent and then are not willing to take their advice/recommendation for an inspector? Please explain. If you trust your agent to act in your best interest, why would you not trust their judgement on an inspector....they see them on both sides of the transaction whereas you pick an inspector a few times during your lifetime. How do YOU know if an inspector is "bad ass?"

Old 09-04-2017, 09:22 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,214,516 times
More sq feet means higher utilities and that is something you have no control of. Propane, for example has increased in cost 4X in just 6 years thanks to a government subsidy to one company, which bought up the smaller businesses got a monopoly, and promptly jacked up the price. Then there's this "green" excuse to take stuff that's been in use for a century and make it real expensive - like it was some new invention! Here, in the Great Lakes, they're even doing it with stinkin" water! Of all things. Never EVER buy anything with more space than you need. NEVER! It's the best way to let these gorks grab you by the wallet.

(ever wonder why your electric bill is the same as it always was despite refrigerators that use 1/4 as much juice and your lightbulbs run on 7w? Duh?)

Old 09-05-2017, 01:24 AM

114 posts, read 268,903 times
I've bought and sold 5 places (rural Oregon) and here's what I've learned -

The most important things to me are good sunlight angles, good water (taste it!) and good QUIET, RESPECTFUL neighbors who keep up their fences. Stay out of flood plains, flight paths, away from mills and industrial areas. Farms with animals increase the local fly population. Marshes make mosquitoes, but also bring birds!

Visit the location at night to check for light pollution if that is a concern (i prefer dark skies). Listen for noise. Any bad smells?
Talk to locals about climate, neighbors, issues in the area. Check with the county for questions about permits, setbacks, allowed uses. Test the well, test the septic, look for evidence of drainfield failure.

Houses themselves are less important than land and location. I like tiny cabin & cottage type places, easy to build & maintain.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:43 AM

117 posts, read 162,619 times
Look for big ticket, upcoming mandatory maintenance items. We've spent tens of thousands of dollars to replace the siding, roof, yard, driveway, deck. But potential buyers wouldn't care about any of that, and instead would turn their noses at our outdated 1980s kitchen and bathrooms.

Existing houses - ones that have been around for at least decade or two - are nice because things that will go wrong regarding construction quality have gone wrong. We had an inspector tell us he sees the most issues in houses < 5 years old.

Don't want a house so badly that you're willing to give in to any of the seller's demands to buy it.

Ask to see utility bills. We passed on a house that was way bigger than we really wanted/needed (was mainly interested in the property/location) because we found out the gas/electric charges were several hundreds of dollars a month, year round.

Choose a full-time realtor with adequate experience who is not family/friend/acquaintance, is willing to work with you on your schedule, and is not heavily invested in getting the deal closed against your personal interests.

Pay the most attention to the things you can't change, or change easily - location and layout.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:48 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,314,082 times
We bought used houses the first two times. We've learned not to trust the seller or the realtor. My husband insisted on new builds these last two times. There can still be problems, but at least you have some sort of warranty if things go wrong.

Something that has helped us these lase last two times is Google maps. Pull up the new house and look to see what is around you. What business or industry is around the area. Will you smell it? Will you hear it? Will it make the ground shake? In what way will it affect you? Where is the airport. Are you in the flight plan? Or can you hear the trains?

What are the usual natural disasters in your area? Is your house a proper shelter from them?

We like to peek over the fence. What is beyond the fence? Is your neighbor's yard sloped towards yours? Is his yard inviting or does he look like a hoarder? Being nosy while buying will save some heartache later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House