Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:12 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times

Advertisements

I'm finally getting ready to pack & move (yea!) & this week removed 16 crushable duffel bags (nylon with vinyl interior) & 5 suitcases on rollers (nylon-ish material on the outside with satin-ish material interior), from the outdoor patio's storage closet. Some were absolutely covered in white mildew (as if baby powder were sprinkled all over, outside & inside) & some just smell like mildew, but have no visible signs of it.

I searched ad nauseum & decided the best suggestion was to mix every "cure" together, as 1 or another will work (as some suggested). So, I began washing them in hot water with a mixture of detergent, baking soda, OxyClean, vinegar or rubbing alcohol & a few drops of tea tree oil.

3/4 came out fine after 3-4 washes. 1/4 have also had 4 washes & although there's no visible mildew, they still have the slight hint of it on the inside of the bag. Since I have to begin packing soon & these bags hold all of my clothing, I don't want to use anything that smells, as I can't take the chance it will contaminate the clothing. Are the bags mildew free if there's still a slight smell or does the smell mean mildew?

PLEASE NOTE: I live in a dark apt & there is no sun at all. There's also no direct sunlight on my patio. There is no safe place for me to place them outside in direct sunlight... some suggested that was best, but it's not possible here. And, no, I don't know anyone who has a yard or private sunny patio where I can leave them in the sunlight.

Also, I left the roller luggage for last, cuz they're a bigger job. They're covered in mildew, probably as they weren't stored in large plastic bins. Everything I found said to brush them off first & I have a large bathbrush & small nailbrush (which I'll toss after this) to do so. Then, the instructions were to mix water & vinegar in a spray bottle to wet the bags & then scrub with a brush, being careful not to overscrub & press mildew down into the material.

Before I get involved with that process, does anyone have a better solution? Mainly I want to know if the smell is guiding me to tell me it's clean. Cuz I'd rather toss any or all of it, than take a chance.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 12:30 AM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Trash
Buy new

Old 10-28-2017, 02:47 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Being frugal and all, I have to admit I would not bother either. I would try to wash the duffel bags in a washer, with plenty hot water and some color safe bleach, but get rid of the luggage.
Buy cheap luggage instead and don't bring mildew to your new place. No hand washing will get rid of it completely.
You probably need only two pieces of luggage for future travels. Get those, and pack everything else in boxes.

If you think you need to save your luggage AND your luggage has a fabric surface, my suggestion is to find an upholstery cleaner that will clean it professionally. Or, send it to a reliable disinfecting and fumigating service. Such services are often listed under "Exterminating and Fumigating" or "Pest Control" services in the yellow pages of the telephone directory.

Last edited by elnina; 10-28-2017 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: , send it to a

Old 10-28-2017, 03:05 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Toss it out...

Old 10-28-2017, 04:03 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
yep toss it . It is now a health hazard . yep pack two suitcases and pack everything else in plastic crates or boxes , good luck on your move .

Old 10-28-2017, 07:56 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Toss, use plastic boxes or even new card board boxes. Your clothes will pick up mildly. Hand washing does not eliminate it just make it invisible for you and your nose.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:24 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep toss it . It is now a health hazard . yep pack two suitcases and pack everything else in plastic crates or boxes , good luck on your move .
That is a bit extreme. Her suitcases have mildew, not anthrax.

My mildew solution has generally been a mild bleach solution, and that works when you can get to the mildew. That can be difficult with a roller-bag, as there may be mildew particles into the seams and behind the lining.

I wouldn't worry about any health hazards, as molds and mildews exist all around us. The smell is a different matter. If your clothes are in contact with the remaining mildew, and you give it the right environment, such as a dark space (maybe like a closed suitcase?), with enough contact time (maybe if the suitcase isn't opened for a week because you are moving?) it could transfer. Not too much of a problem if we are talking cotton shirts and jeans, as a good hot wash at the other end will take care of it. Delicates might be an issue.

Do you really want to wash everything at the other end? Your call.

Moving can be expensive, and nobody needs any more complexity in their life when packing. You could pack things in garbage bags, put those bags in the suitcases, and I think the mildew wouldn't transfer to clothing. Any suitcases that still smell funky at the other end can be tossed then, when you have the time to get replacements on sale somewhere.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:43 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I had mildew form on my shoes in the closet and in a bin under my bed. I couldn’t have been more shocked, but I’m told this is common in our climate. Anyway, mildew can be easily wiped off of hard surfaces with something like a wipe or soapy water.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:10 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Throw them away.

You can move your clothes in large black leaf/lawn bags. You can pack lots of unbreakable stuff into leaf bags.

I have used this method for years. Cheap and it works....you can use the bags for garbage after unpacking them....and you don't have to store the. You can shove bagged items into small spaces, unlike hard boxes.

Why risk moving mildew and mold spores to your new residence.

Links to tips to prevent and to clean mold/mildew:
http://getawaytips.azcentral.com/how...-12229094.html
http://extension.illinois.edu/thrift...entmildew.html
http://extension.missouri.edu/p/GH5928

Old 10-28-2017, 10:20 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

Why risk moving mildew and mold spores to your new residence.
Mold and mildew spores are everywhere. Everybody reading this thread is breathing them with every breath you take. It is impossible to have an environment completely free of such spores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House