Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 07:58 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Extreme purging is just as unhealthy mentally as hoarding. Simplicity is great, purposeful deprivation is not.

So my answer is I wouldn't pare down to one thing. Very glad to live in a time and age where we can have more than an open fire and a single pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 09:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I soooo appreciate this post! THANK YOU! You just saved me money because it reminded me that products today are not as sturdy, reliable and long-lasting as they used to be. I won't be buying an Instant Pot. I like things clean and aroma-free before every use.

For some weird reason, I have it in my head that it would be nice to have one appliance (that isn't a stove) to cook in/on/with. It's time to let that thought go. Apparently, I'm as scaled down as I can get for someone who loves to cook.
Gaskets on pressure cookers aren't meant to last forever. If you use the machine enough, the gasket stretches and has to be replaced. It's a $5 part. Having one for smelly food and one for regular should mean I can go longer without replacing them. I'm just glad that they're silicone and not rubber like the gasket on my mom's old pressure cooker. The gasket on hers had to be replaced pretty often and she had to call the manufacturer to order it.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:50 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
The reason for my desire to pare down in the kitchen is because it's too easy to collect things. I enjoy being mobile and owning only what I use in a month's time. Nothing extreme or unhealthy about it. I just don't see the sense in owning multiple items that do the same thing. So, after a time, I do a simple inventory to see if my love of cooking is getting out of hand! And my style of cooking has really simplified in the last couple of years, too. I have a possible move coming up and I like getting rid of unneeded things now instead of at the last minute. I'm single and don't need a full set of different sizes of pots and pans sitting around taking up space. If I can pare it down to one or two things I use the most, why not give the rest to someone who could really use it? If I have a need for something, I have no qualms about getting it. My mindset on purchases is need-based, not desire or convenience-based.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
I soooo appreciate this post! THANK YOU! You just saved me money because it reminded me that products today are not as sturdy, reliable and long-lasting as they used to be. I won't be buying an Instant Pot. I like things clean and aroma-free before every use.

For some weird reason, I have it in my head that it would be nice to have one appliance (that isn't a stove) to cook in/on/with. It's time to let that thought go. Apparently, I'm as scaled down as I can get for someone who loves to cook.
I do want to mention that the Instant Pot appears to be well made. A pressure cooker has to be a solid piece because of the way it cooks. Pressure cookers have become safer and better than they used to be. I do not want to quarrel with you about your decision, but I do want to point out that pressure cookers have to be made very well.

If I had not bought an Instant Pot, I woukd have bought the equivalent Fagor model. Fagor makes excellent pressure cookers.

I do agree that some things like toasters are no longer made well. But other things are, including my KA mixer. My mother never had as good a mixer as my Kitchen Aid.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:28 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Extreme purging is just as unhealthy mentally as hoarding. Simplicity is great, purposeful deprivation is not.

So my answer is I wouldn't pare down to one thing. Very glad to live in a time and age where we can have more than an open fire and a single pot.
I got rid of too many CDs and cookbooks before a move some years ago, and ended up buying some of them again.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Sorry if that was an overload of information before getting to my question. I just thought it would help to know what kind of a cook I am and how simply I live, in order to get a more relative reply!

I guess I could pare it down to this question: If you could only have ONE kitchen appliance, or piece of cookware, to cook in/on, what would it be? (Obviously, I don't mean a stove/oven/microwave.)
Appliance: Coffee percolator. Hands down. It sees me use, and is used more regularly and consistently, than any other appliance.

Cookware: cast iron skillet is probably the most versatile. Not deep enough for soups, though.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:35 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
True. I got rid of too many CDs and cookbooks before a move some years ago, and ended up buying some of them again.
I'm in a group for non-consumerism and it's interesting to see the different takes people have. My goal is to work more towards minimalism and not keep things I don't need or love, but it can be hard to find the balance and not end up sometimes needing to replace things that I got rid of but end up needing after all.

But some people swing to the other extreme, where they want to keep everything, because someday it could become useful. Not in a hoarding way, because they work hard at using things and re-purposing when they can, but something like "I already have a can opener that works. But they always break or wear out eventually, so I'll also keep the two other can openers I have because someday, I'll need another one and that way I won't have to buy one."

I'm more on your side, and at this point, would rather replace if and when needed, as opposed to weighing myself down with stuff. But I'm also happy to keep the things I do know I use and love, and not try to get rid of things just for the sake of getting rid of them.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:56 PM

388 posts, read 473,702 times
Frequently in use in my kitchen:
Cuisinart food processor with blades and attachments
Cuisinart mini processor
Small slow cooker and large oval slow cooker
Stovetop kettle for hot water

Handy and in the cupboard:
Black and Decker hand mixer
(KitchenAid stand mixer died after 30 years) Hand mixer fills the job so far.
Cuisinart ice cream maker
Electric knife sharpener

I need to avoid all grains so I gave away the rice cooker, toaster, etc.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:28 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Cuisenart grill (like the foreman)
Kitchen aid
Vita Mix
Immersion blender
regular blender
coffee grinder
Keurig
Food processor
mini food processor
toaster
juicer
Soda Stream
Insta pot
mandolin

I mean... they are not on my counter though. I use almost all of them, but I think the juicer needs to go.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 PM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Microwave
Coffee maker
Paper Towels & Holder
Toaster
Nuwave cooktop
Nutribullet
Salt & Pepper shakers

(Christmas decorative cookie jar)

I have a lot of counter space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House