Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:07 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Stucco IS siding.

Uh, no. I mean, no. By any other way, no.

Try "cladding"- that covers EVERYTHING! Lap board, brick, stucco, stone, mud, bamboo, etc, etc, etc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 10:19 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Uh, no. I mean, no. By any other way, no.

Try "cladding"- that covers EVERYTHING! Lap board, brick, stucco, stone, mud, bamboo, etc, etc, etc!
Stucco Siding!

Stucco Siding: A Visual Guide to Siding Options

Old 12-04-2017, 11:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Just because someone uses the wrong word on the internet doesn't magically make it the right word.

I think instead of using "the" I'm going to use "forevermore" as forevermore word to describe forevermore singular state. Forevermore word I use instead of forevermore has more syllables and we all know forevermore more syllables in forevermore word, forevermore more impressive forevermore word sounds.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:25 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Just because someone uses the wrong word on the internet doesn't magically make it the right word.

I think instead of using "the" I'm going to use "forevermore" as forevermore word to describe forevermore singular state. Forevermore word I use instead of forevermore has more syllables and we all know forevermore more syllables in forevermore word, forevermore more impressive forevermore word sounds.
That wasn't just someone. It was Better Homes and Gardens. A quick internet search shows calling it stucco siding is very common and it's called this by large websites who specialize in homes. It's commonly called stucco siding thus it's a form of siding.

Have fun with your forevermore party.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:04 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
That wasn't just someone. It was Better Homes and Gardens. A quick internet search shows calling it stucco siding is very common and it's called this by large websites who specialize in homes. It's commonly called stucco siding thus it's a form of siding.

Have fun with your forevermore party.
Most people who say "siding" mean the vinyl kind, which is obviously different than stucco, which is different than wood, and so on.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:07 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You're bringing ONE item to the table- I can assure you that was not the deciding factor.

I can assure you, that ONE item would be the deciding factor for me. I must have a garage. My point was that it is not the deciding factor for everyone. Do you understand?

Old 12-04-2017, 04:01 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
We have a 1400 sf 3/2/2 in a growing city. We decided to convert the garage into a family room, but we did so in a way that could be easily converted back: We left the garage door intact, added a sheetrock and wood wall about four feet in, added air conditioning, and laid wood laminate flooring. There is a small storage area (about 4 feet deep and the length of the front of the garage) that we can access by raising the garage door.

We are considering redoing the conversion to make it into a smaller den and a fourth bedroom. To do this, we'd take out the garage door, block the front wall (it's a concrete block home in Florida) and add two windows. The footprint of the house has the front of the garage sitting back at the same level of the front bedroom, if that makes sense... it would not be immediately obvious that the house was converted.

My question is, how much do you think this would this lower our home's value? Enough to strongly reconsider doing this? Our tentative plan is to sell within 10 years, but who knows... maybe we'll end up staying here. I love having the family room and we host company fairly frequently, so I'd really like to have that fourth bedroom. We have no basement, so we would add a shed for the lawnmower and various items that are currently in that storage space.
What you did is dumb, and I would want consideration on the price to restore the garage to being a garage. What you are thinking about doing is dumber.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:36 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What you did is dumb, and I would want consideration on the price to restore the garage to being a garage. What you are thinking about doing is dumber.
It's not going to cost us anything to restore the garage to being a garage. My husband did all of the work himself and he will take it all down himself. The only thing that we need to do after removing the walls and the flooring is repaint the concrete block walls that make up the original garage (because part of it which is the laundry room is white and the actual "room" part is cream. Once we put the house on the market, assuming we don't do the larger conversion, there will be no work for the buyers to do to turn it back into a garage.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:47 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I can assure you, that ONE item would be the deciding factor for me.

Oh. Didn't realize this thread was about you!

Old 12-04-2017, 06:04 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I would not purchase a garage conversion house so in answer it would lower the value to zero.
I would not purchase a house without a garage. The garage is critical to a home, for security, protection for cars, storage, work projects. It's as important as a 2nd bathroom to me. (I would consider a carport, if bricked, part of the original home under the main roof, and especially if didn't face the front.)

So it would lower the value of the home considerably. BUT, if there's a family that needs that extra living space (needs, as opposed to wants it), that would make the home salable, but would still cut something off the value compared with the neighbors' homes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House