Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:04 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times

Advertisements

Has d-Con discontinued those little wedge shaped cardboard containers of turquoise warfarin pellets? I can't find them anywhere. That's what I've used for years in the wintertime to control the field mice that manage to make their way inside when it gets cold. I looked in a couple of stores today and online and can't find them. Not too excited about what I saw on the shelves for bait traps. Does anyone know why they are no longer manufactured?

Old 12-01-2017, 07:36 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
It looks like the wedge is gone but the product is still available in different formats.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_61nmdbdggv_b

Old 12-01-2017, 08:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
I use Tomcat glue traps. Very effective. Took care of my mouse problem in just a few days.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:41 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Mouse Control ?
Black snake

Old 12-01-2017, 11:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Has d-Con discontinued those little wedge shaped cardboard containers of turquoise warfarin pellets? I can't find them anywhere. That's what I've used for years in the wintertime to control the field mice that manage to make their way inside when it gets cold. I looked in a couple of stores today and online and can't find them. Not too excited about what I saw on the shelves for bait traps. Does anyone know why they are no longer manufactured?
I noticed that, too, but it was a few years back. I googled it, and found the info on the EPA website. They said some d-CON mouse poison was canceled. I'm assuming they mean EPA approval was canceled?:

https://www.epa.gov/rodenticides/can...ntrol-products

Old 12-02-2017, 04:17 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
I don't use any kind of rodent poison because we have pets (which means we also never see mice out in the open, but only find evidence of their presence in drawers and cupboards in the winter), but there is another problem, too. I have worked at stores that used that stuff to get rid of mice and rats, and the thing is, they don't die immediately. They usually go off and hide somewhere, and you don't know you have killed one until it starts to stink, and then you have to locate the body to get rid of the smell. No, thanks.

I would much rather use old-fashioned traps or, as another poster suggested, Tomcat glue traps, in the places I know they have been. I think the regular traps are more humane, as the mouse is killed instantly, but they are also easier for the little buggers to outwit.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Just be careful if you use a product that contains poison. A friend recommended a mouse poison to me for our log cabin so I bought some and put it in containers safely away from my dogs. (in an empty coffee can, I made a hole just enough size for a mouse to get into and taped the lid down)

Well, it worked, but two mice didn't go outside to die. They died INSIDE our cottage and we couldn't find them.

The smell was horrible and we looked HIGH AND LOW. A few months later, we finally found one UP inside the rear of our gas fridge. We'd pulled it out from the wall, but you couldn't see it because it was up on some wiring. A year later, we found the second one that had made his way IN BETWEEN the chinking of the logs. By then, it was a skeleton. We only found it because we were replacing some of the chinking in our bedroom when we were adding more insulation between the logs.

Man oh man, if you've ever smelled a dead mouse for a year until the smell finally dissipated, it teaches you a stinky lesson. NOT to put out mouse poison.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Raid Fumigators apparently kill mice although that is not what they are made for. You do have the problem that you cannot find them all, but usually they come out of hiding to die. It also kills all the bugs.

Otherwise regular snap traps with peanut butter work very well.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:50 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
I got nuthin', sorry to say. But you do want to get rid of the mice. They can carry leptospirosis in their urine and they pee everywhere they go. Not to mention you run the risk of Hanta virus if you have a lot of turds to clean up. I'm too soft-hearted for the glue traps, but I still consider wild mice as vermin and would use a snap trap.

If you are really soft-hearted, you can use a Hav-a-Hart trap, but be aware that if you set a mouse loose somewhere, it's only going to die a miserable death in a strange territory anyway so you may as well whack it with a hammer and be done with it and any closer than a mile, they can find their way back into your house.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:02 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Victor electric mouse traps. Kills instantly, costs about $20.

When we moved into a rental house next to the woods, I put one on the kitchen counter and it killed four mice in three days.

Look on youtube for some clever homemade traps involving buckets of water that drown a dozen mice in a day or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House