Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,503 times

Advertisements

My friends stayed with me between houses and used one like this.
https://www.frontgate.com/essential-...est-bed/157070

They said it was okay for a short stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 06:28 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post

I'd rather have a Murphy Bed installed in the wall. I have found it difficult to re-pack an air bed to fit back in the package, and they don't always re-inflate as good as the first time.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:43 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
If I had the money, this is the one I love: https://www.suiteny.com/product/deta.../guest-bed-403

Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
The secret to making your air mattress feel like a real bed mattress is to top it with an "egg crate" type foam topper. They cost about $20 these days from Walmart.

I have been sleeping on a queen size electrically inflatable air mattress for six months now, and the topper made it possible. It keeps you off that cold hard rubber surface. It is one of those 15 inch high mattresses, inflates (and deflates) at the touch of a toggle switch, and can be folded up and tossed into the nearest closet when you don't want it out.

Since you already have a decent electric inflatable mattress, this would be your cheapest option.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:01 PM

524 posts, read 574,490 times
For me it would depend on who I was trying to sleep and what size bed I needed. For a child, I keep a twin mattress in the master closet, which can add additional sleeping to a bedroom. If I was trying to add another queen mattress, I would prefer a Murphy bed. I don't like sleeping on air mattresses, futons, or sleeper sofas, so I wouldn't want those for guests.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
We have a futon that works for a sofa or a single bed for guest room.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We used to have two guest rooms and it didn't make sense since we rarely get more than one set of guests at a time so we converted one to our office. But last year my sister came and brought a student that was living with them and next year my other sister and nephew are visiting. I bought one of those CordaRoy's bean bag chairs that converts to a bed, but the chair itself is huge and doesn't fit in either of the spare rooms. We also have a grandson and granddaughter that are old enough for sleepovers and need separate beds.

So I need some kind of cot or folding bed that doesn't take up a huge amount of room and can be stored out of the way. I do have a queen size Intex blow up mattress but honestly, it's not very comfortable and barely fits in the room once it's inflated.

Looking for any ideas from others who have had this issue. It needs to be large enough to accommodate a medium size adult. Thanks!
Folding camping cots take up very little space when stored. You can get them in double size as well as single.

For a mattress, I would avoid the inflatables. Sooner or later - IME, sooner - they leak air and your guest winds up sleeping on the floor with no padding. They are also cold, like an unheated waterbed, and for the same reason - they don't hold your body heat. You can get a pretty good camping roll-up or folding foam mattress - Cabela's Cot Pads : Cabela's
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+foam+mattress

Old 12-15-2017, 12:45 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,678 times
Default Get a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
We used to have two guest rooms and it didn't make sense since we rarely get more than one set of guests at a time so we converted one to our office. But last year my sister came and brought a student that was living with them and next year my other sister and nephew are visiting. I bought one of those CordaRoy's bean bag chairs that converts to a bed, but the chair itself is huge and doesn't fit in either of the spare rooms. We also have a grandson and granddaughter that are old enough for sleepovers and need separate beds.

So I need some kind of cot or folding bed that doesn't take up a huge amount of room and can be stored out of the way. I do have a queen size Intex blow up mattress but honestly, it's not very comfortable and barely fits in the room once it's inflated.

Looking for any ideas from others who have had this issue. It needs to be large enough to accommodate a medium size adult. Thanks!
Coleman Queen size air mattress, works great and easy to store. make sure you have a powered air compressor to blow it up. They sell both battery powered, wall pug in and car plug in. Its versatile!

Old 12-15-2017, 01:46 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post

The same as in post #12.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:51 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Those inflatable mattresses (full size-bed) are surprisingly comfortable. Buy a good one from the camping store and also buy an electric pump. I used one while waiting on furniture to arrive in a new house and was completely comfortable. Pillows, two flat sheets, a quilt, and a nice fluffy blanket were all it needed to be comfy for a single occupant.
I agree. We bought one that can be fastened together for a queen, or used as twins. I’ve slept on them and, except that they are low to the ground, they are comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House