Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,866 times

Advertisements

I’m returning from my two week California vacation. Upon leaving I left the apartment I’m renting at 52 degrees. I walked in the door today to hear waterfalls sounding like it’s coming from everywhere. The 1st floor bathroom was bursting water and flooding the entire bathroom and hallway. I go downstairs to the basement to discover the basement is even worse, there’s the same gushing water coming from somewhere else. I couldn’t tell exactly where the water was exactly coming from but it seems like walls and pipes. I called my uncle over to turn off the water to the house immediately afraid to call the landlord right away as I look at the extensive damage, his home and a lot of my belongings as well. I don’t understand how this could’ve happened with the thermostat set on 52 degrees even in negative degree temperatures. I would like to know tomorrow morning when I call my landlord, what am I facing. Who is responsible for the damages and charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Because your house has to be warm enough to keep the WALLS above freezing. The walls have negative temperatures on the outside, and only 52 degrees on the inside? That averages out to below freezing, meaning FROZEN pipes. You don't have heating vents inside your walls, so the inside of the walls will be much colder than the rooms in the house. Ever opened an unheated closet on an exterior wall and feel a cold draft? Like that, but MUCH MUCH worse because closets have some openings (door line, above floor) and such for some heat exchange. Leaving your thermostat on 52 in sub-zero temperatures was reckless. You might responsible because if it can be judged that was an irresponsible temperature. Next time, leave the water running in some pipes or drain them if you're just trying to save heating. Also, normally people use the water in their home through the day, and this movement through pipes prevents freezing. Everytime you flush the toilet, there is a water exchange. This doesn't happen when you're gone.

Most articles on google say anything below 55 is dangerous for freezing pipes, but if you're having really really low temps, higher might be safer.

Let's hope that the landlord has some uninsulated pipes in a crawl space or something that isn't heated, so you will be free of responsibility.

I wonder if a froze pipe outside your apartment could have caused the water to back-up and burst, but didn't freeze in your apartment? Just a possibility.

Last edited by dmarie123; 01-17-2018 at 11:37 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
This says dropping the temp more than 10 degrees below normal room temp can cause freezing. Tips to Avoid Frozen Pipes During Sub-Zero Temps

Old 01-17-2018, 11:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Unless you were negligent in caring for the home that cause the pies to break, this is on the landlord. What is considered negligence would have ti be determined by the specific facts and how they mesh with case law. I don't think any Judge would hold you liable since you did have the heat on and it was set well above freezing. Now, you can be liable if your lease required you to keep the temperature at a minimum level. Additionally, your lease may have a requirement to notify the landlord if you will be away for a particular period of time.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:34 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I would keep the temperature of my Alaska house at 45 degrees from October to December and from January to April, and I never had a problem with frozen pipes.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Simply call your LL and tell him what you came home to. Let his repairman come and fix things.

I wouldn't admit any fault, because that would just be stupid. You have no idea why this happened yet.

I hope that you have renters insurance for your personal property. And your LL should have insurance coverage for the damages to his apartment.

Meanwhile, where are you staying? It doesn't sound like you should be staying there.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:47 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
You needed to keep the house warmer. Rotsa ruk!!!!

Old 01-18-2018, 09:54 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Does your lease spell out a minimum temperature that you're to keep the house?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Sorry, OP. You didn't keep the house warm enough to prevent the plumbing from freezing, so it is on you. Maybe your renter's insurance will cover it.. it's worth asking your insurance agent.

Advice for future, leave the heat on, leave under sink cabinets open AND TURN OFF THE MAIN WATER VALVE. That way, if the plumbing does break, or the heat goes off, there is very limited water in the pipes to cause damage,

No matter what climate you live in, if you are leaving town, you turn off the water at the meter.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:21 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
What kind of building is this apartment in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House