Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 01:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times

Advertisements

I'm back. Played a poker tournament. And won!

I bought these two items to eliminate clutter under the table between our chairs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a fairly small, squarish power strip that has four USB power plugs. I used Gorilla double-sided tape to hold it under the table behind the drawer. There is usually space there as most drawers don't go all the way back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These hooks are a good color for our medium brown pecan tables. They blend quite nicely. The springs keep the cables in place, and make it easy to remove and replace them when necessary. That's usually my laptop. I put a number of them under the table and on the inside of the legs. Unless you look closely you can't see any of them.

This eliminated the surge strip that was under the table, both USB cables laying there, and the power cords for both chairs and my laptop. Instead of having all that on the floor under the table we now have cables running from the sides of the chairs to the table legs and up to the bottom of the table. Very clean, especially since they are black cable on a hickory floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 01:29 PM

A correction for the weather station post. It's been too long and I can't edit. Ours came with batteries, but the box says they aren't included.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Have you considered getting by with a smaller generator? We rode out Matthew with a small generator which ran the refrigerator, freezer, TV, a few lamps, and a portable air conditioner. We cooked on the gas grill, and briefly unplugged the fridge to run the coffee pot or microwave. We did this for about 5 days, and it was really fine. Really, there is no need to be able to run the whole house at one time. Ours cost about $700. I think, instead of thousands $$.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, we have considered a smaller one, but we have 3 refrigerators and only a whole house AC - no window units and don't want one. No gas stove - only propane for our tankless water heater and fireplaces - indoor and outdoor fire pit.

I guess we're both pretty spoiled and want to have everything just switch over automatically and without us having to do anything. My "Ugh!" comment was more geared towards the many choices, not so much the price.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I bought pretty blue and white woven placemats. I found them at Pier1. BOGO half price. So I paid full price for 3, and half price for three more. I am moving toward more blue in the kitchen area. Next—blue and white cafe panels in the window.

While I was there, I had a look at fall door wreaths and Halloween stuff. I hate that Halloween stuff is so expensive. But I might break down and buy something nicer than what I’ve got for the front porch.

Here is a link: https://www.pier1.com/blue-%26-white...gin=gridswatch

I would recommend these. They are very attractive.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:27 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes, we have considered a smaller one, but we have 3 refrigerators and only a whole house AC - no window units and don't want one. No gas stove - only propane for our tankless water heater and fireplaces - indoor and outdoor fire pit.

I guess we're both pretty spoiled and want to have everything just switch over automatically and without us having to do anything. My "Ugh!" comment was more geared towards the many choices, not so much the price.
We felt the same way. Be prepared, you may have a waiting list to get it installed. We started the process just after Irma and didn't get the thing totally installed until January.

It has actually kicked in a couple of times. So worth it. No thinking or changing out what is being used each time you need something.

I can't remember what the actual unit or how much. It is a Generac.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:30 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I bought pretty blue and white woven placemats. I found them at Pier1. BOGO half price. So I paid full price for 3, and half price for three more. I am moving toward more blue in the kitchen area. Next—blue and white cafe panels in the window.

While I was there, I had a look at fall door wreaths and Halloween stuff. I hate that Halloween stuff is so expensive. But I might break down and buy something nicer than what I’ve got for the front porch.

Thank you for that. My SIL is moving into a new house in October and I am thinking about a housewarming gift. She loves blue and has a lot of blue in her house

Old 09-03-2018, 03:41 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
We felt the same way. Be prepared, you may have a waiting list to get it installed. We started the process just after Irma and didn't get the thing totally installed until January.

It has actually kicked in a couple of times. So worth it. No thinking or changing out what is being used each time you need something.

I can't remember what the actual unit or how much. It is a Generac.
Thanks for the heads up. You're right - this isn't the best time of year to plan on doing this, so I guess we'll expect a wait. Generac seems to be the main brand I see.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Pretty, but oh what they do to my eyes! Don't you get the optical messing with yours? Like this does?

Old 09-03-2018, 07:49 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,697 times
Quote:

I love Pier 1 holiday decorations. I just put my fall Pier 1 wreath on the door yesterday. But I almost always buy after the holiday when things are at least 50% off. That said, if something fresh for this year will make you happy, then go for it!

Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I love Pier 1 holiday decorations. I just put my fall Pier 1 wreath on the door yesterday. But I almost always buy after the holiday when things are at least 50% off. That said, if something fresh for this year will make you happy, then go for it!
Me too. I have a gorgeous new lighted big Christmas wreath that was $12. after Christmas last year. I can’t wait to put it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House