Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 05:52 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times

Advertisements

I have a set in a closet in the master bath. Just wondering if anyone with this setup ever worries about getting to the water shutoff valves behind the washer. I can see (but cannot reach) the electrical plugs for the 2 appliances. I can see where the dryer vent connects to the wall going to outside. But if there was ever a leak in the faucet, or hose, or the drain got plugged up, how are you supposed to get to it to turn off the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 06:04 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Mine are in a narrow through-passage so I can open a door on the back side, reach through some shelves and throw the lever.

But for those that have easy access I would take the issue in multiple steps. First is to replace the hoses with steel braided to limit the risk of a leak from that source. Second would be to getting a shutoff installed in the easiest to access place (or just making sure the shutoff for the whole property is easy to access and a 1/4 turn). Finally, I'd probably make a small access panel that allowed me to get to the shutoff's right there at the machines (as well as making sure it was a single-lever unit, I love mine).

Old 01-28-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Mine are in a narrow through-passage so I can open a door on the back side, reach through some shelves and throw the lever.

But for those that have easy access I would take the issue in multiple steps. First is to replace the hoses with steel braided to limit the risk of a leak from that source. Second would be to getting a shutoff installed in the easiest to access place (or just making sure the shutoff for the whole property is easy to access and a 1/4 turn). Finally, I'd probably make a small access panel that allowed me to get to the shutoff's right there at the machines (as well as making sure it was a single-lever unit, I love mine).
Mine backs up to a closet. I have thought about having someone cut a whole in the wall to provide access. And maybe put up a cabinet door to cover it. It just seems to be a very poor design -- and the house is only 20 years old so it was not a retro-fit.

I have no idea what kind of hoses or shutoff valves are there behind the machines.
I do know where the main water shutoff is for the house.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,872,330 times
My last house the unit had the knockouts on either side so you had option of left or right side dryer venting.
So I knocked out both and was able to reach the shutoffs that way if need be.
That was *supposed* to be temporary until I had time to relocate the valves but I never got around to it and sold the house that way.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:16 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,371,820 times
I had this problem with the washer/dryer in my RV. I bought longer hookup hoses, and moved the shutoff valves to the basement storage area directly below the stack so I could access them. Do you have any room on either side or below the stack, where you could relocate the valves ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-29-2018, 08:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
I just grab the stack and slide it out of the way and turn off the valves. If the washer is full of water, that can be a problem, but that woudl be a problem regardless of stack-able or not. The dryer really does not add any significant weight.

If you are concerned about it, extend the pips and move he valves to where you can reach them. .

Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
The only leak we've had from a washer was when the drain hose fell out of the drain pipe. Be sure it is well secured and occasionally cleaned.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I had this problem...in my RV. I bought longer hookup hoses, and moved the shutoff valves to the basement...

WOW! Whoda thunk it- a basement in an RV!

Old 01-29-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I just grab the stack and slide it out of the way and turn off the valves. If the washer is full of water, that can be a problem, but that woudl be a problem regardless of stack-able or not. The dryer really does not add any significant weight.

If you are concerned about it, extend the pips and move he valves to where you can reach them. .
Ha! I couldn't budge it if I tried. Besides, the stack sits on a wooden platform.

Quote:
The only leak we've had from a washer was when the drain hose fell out of the drain pipe. Be sure it is well secured and occasionally cleaned.

This is the kind of thing I worry about. Can't see it, can't reach it.

But I am still curious as to how many people have bought or remodeled houses where the washer and dryer block access to the faucets and hoses. The house inspector didn't note it on his report before I bought the house.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:09 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Of all places, my units are in the kitchen. The house was originally suppose to have an attached garage where the washer and drier were suppose to go, but Dad opted to leave off the garage and put the washer in a closet in the kitchen. When I remodeled the house, I had cutoffs put under the sink to cut the water to the washer if I ever had to. I had the drain rerouted so I could run a snake through it from under the house, if I ever had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House