Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 06:31 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
When I was a teen I used to throw it all to the bottom but I still had to carry it up.
I did the same thing I had to wait until mom wasn't looking, lollol

Had to shovel horse p**p and mow the yard there, too, lollollol

On a serious note, the year after we graduated high school, one of my good and dear friends slipped carrying a basket full of clothes down to the basement, where the washer & dryer were. She somehow slipped and passed away. She was athletic and slender, too --- one of the star players on our softball team.

Believe me when I say, I learned a lesson from that and I never tried to carry any clumsy thing up or down stairs again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
I've lived in one story, two story, and 3 story. I currently have a 2 story. I definitely prefer a one story and that's my next purchase. For one thing, if you have any injury, stairs area nightmare. I had 3 active little boys who played sports 24/7. Between a running injury and their various sprains/breaks/injuries, the stairs were just horrible.

Also, I've found that single story homes have larger yards which is a definite plus to me.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:55 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Also, I've found that single story homes have larger yards which is a definite plus to me.
This does seem odd. A single story house necessarily has a larger footprint than a two-story of the same square footage. All else (i.e. lot size) being equal, the two-story should have a larger yard.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:46 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Not sure what you mean by separate living and sleeping space as most 2 story homes have the master downstairs in my market.
That's the only type of 2-story home that I would consider, though I wouldn't want only a master down, but also my office, utility room, library/den, another bedroom at least and a second full bathroom. I suppose what I would like in a 2-story house would be an entire single story house with a few bonus rooms upstairs.

I also have a strong preference for houses which are wider than they are tall.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:33 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I love 2 story homes, even though I have arthritis. Maybe it's because I lived in apartments when I was younger and like the concept of an upstairs/downstairs. Once the kids are at least teens, I really don't have to go upstairs though because the master is down, kitchen's down, laundry room is down, family room and parlor are down. upstairs are secondary beds (kids and guest), a loft space, and hubby's rec room.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
I had stairs in my last two houses. I have one level now. In our immediate area one story homes are in demand for older, relocating elders and empty nesters. They seem to sell pretty fast if they are in good condition. And newer homes are almost always two story now in our area.

As I get older, I am thankful I don't have to carry clothes, the vacuum, shopping, or anything else up or down stairs.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I've lived in both. I definitely prefer a one story. Who wants to lug laundry up and down the stairs? Although some homes have their laundry room on the second floor, I still like a one story better.

My last house had all the bedrooms and the laundry room on the second floor. Doing laundry was easy.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I like the two-stories houses much better.

They have curb-appeal and look grander. The house is more energy efficient. There is separate living and sleeping space. I would hate to sleep in my master right next to the noisy living room or smelly kitchen.

Am I the odd one here?
We have a 3 story house. It's actually a house that I used to fantasize about owning as I drove by on an old established street with similar Victorian, Craftsman era homes. We love this home as well as it's charming old fashioned yards etc.

But we are in our mid 60's so snow removal, yard work, home maintenance etc. is getting more difficult. We are planning to retire to a single story smaller home.

So, while one might desire a lovely large storied home, practical reasons may win out.

Enjoy your storied home as long as you can

Old 01-27-2018, 05:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This does seem odd. A single story house necessarily has a larger footprint than a two-story of the same square footage. All else (i.e. lot size) being equal, the two-story should have a larger yard.
Around here, most two story homes are built out of necessity (small lot) rather than aesthetically, because one story homes, or at least homes with a master downstairs, are more in demand. We have a two story home but it's one of the few in our neighborhood, and the master is downstairs (wouldn't have bought it otherwise). And our lot is in a curve so while it's not small, it's also not deep, so the builder could go way out to the sides with wings or go up, and he chose to go up so we could have a decent depth to our front and back yards.

So here it's very common to see both a large lot and a larger one story home - it's actually the norm for one story homes. I've noticed that most two story homes are typically built on smaller lots.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
That's the only type of 2-story home that I would consider, though I wouldn't want only a master down, but also my office, utility room, library/den, another bedroom at least and a second full bathroom. I suppose what I would like in a 2-story house would be an entire single story house with a few bonus rooms upstairs.

I also have a strong preference for houses which are wider than they are tall.
That's what we've got - two bonus guest rooms and a bath upstairs but all the rest of the rooms downstairs. So we basically live downstairs and shut off the upstairs unless we're expecting company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House