Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 3,667 times

Advertisements

hi,
we bought a 10 year old home and some of the walls needed touch ups...i looked in the garage and found some paint...it was in a paint can but didn't have any manufacturer label...just a masking tape with "desert castle" written on it. The paint was in a cardboard paint carrying container with kwal logo....i think this was the original paint that was here when the house was built. i proceeded to paint some areas and the color matched perfectly.

fast forward 1 year later....the paint can has dried up (only a little to begin with). i had some nicks on a wall and took a sample of the color from a sheetrock and went to sherwin williams (they bought kwal awhile back). at the store it seems to match the sheet rock....i went home and proceeded to touch up the walls...a little dab here, a little dab there....everywhere i see a nick, i would put a little paint. 24 hours later, i was horrified! all the little "dabs" of paint was very noticeable!!

i took the old paint to sherwin williams, seems like it matched...went home, painted in an area that is not visible, let it dried and it still looked different....went to home depot with another sheetrock sample and it looked the same but again was different....went to another paint store with the old kwal paint and again it was different after it dried....now i have about 4-5 cans of paint that is basically useless to me....does anyone have any recommendations? i can not paint the whole wall because it would look different then the rest..the whole house is this one color even the ceiling!!

please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Moved as this is a general question not particular to Dallas.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:27 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
You need to repaint, you can't "touch up" paint that is yrs. old - it has aged, been exposed to sunlight, etc.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
We are able to touch Benjamin Moore paint up even after years. But others report problems with other brands of paint. If one wall in a room has nicks, then take a deep breath, and paint the entire wall. If the paint is very close in tone, you should not be able to tell that it is off match a bit.

But after 10 years, isn't the house ready for a repaint in the interior? It might be time to repaint some or all of your rooms.
You will be amazed at how a new coat of paint freshens up a room.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:54 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
If you're staying with the "same" color-
And you don't want to repaint the "whole" room, just paint "corner-to-corner".

Old 02-08-2018, 04:41 PM

67 posts, read 259,177 times
Paint is manufactuered in batches (numbers). The color or tint base can very from batch to batch. This is also true for custom colors at the store. The tint machines at the paint store are more than likely calibrated differently from store to store, therefore the end result of your paint color might be slightly different. The only true touchup is paint from the original batch or can that was used when the room was painted. K'ledgeBldr's suggestion to paint corner to corner is a good one.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:04 PM

when you mention "corner to corner" you mean just the whole wall?
the paint still looks brand new in this house...i'm just afraid it might look noticeable compared with the ceiling (which is the same color also). the wall and the ceiling kind of curves together without having any of angles of separation. that's why i'm so afraid to paint the whole wall.

i'm to a point where i'm willing to pay big money to have the exact same paint lol!

Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Do an accent wall.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I really agree with just painting that one wall. I've done that before. Nobody will notice the difference. Walls look different because of different lighting, shadows, etc. And nobody but you will ever notice the difference between the wall and the ceiling.

If you need more than one gallon, I'd put all of those cans of paint into one big bucket and mix them together. Then, just use that mixed paint. They're bound to be close enough to each other that you won't end up with a bizarre color.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I really agree with just painting that one wall. I've done that before. Nobody will notice the difference. Walls look different because of different lighting, shadows, etc. And nobody but you will ever notice the difference between the wall and the ceiling.

If you need more than one gallon, I'd put all of those cans of paint into one big bucket and mix them together. Then, just use that mixed paint. They're bound to be close enough to each other that you won't end up with a bizarre color.
i'm going to suck it up and do this then...it is annoying the hell out of me right now every time i pass by this wall....i hope it comes out well lol! thanks for the suggestions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House