Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:44 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No Thanksgiving at your house, I guess. I just finished making dinner for myself and used three burners, the microwave and the oven - and 2/3 of what I ate was leftovers. What you or I do is not pertinent to the OP and what she does in her kitchen.
I cooked a 16 lb turkey in my BBQ using a hi-tech oven+meat thermometer combo with remote readout as we watched football one Thanksgiving, and it came out perfectly. Microwave, 2 burners, fridge did the rest.

But normally, no, I do not host holidays for family, and of course, it's what the OP wants that is important.
But she asked for opinions, and mine is that a 48", 500 lb behemoth is too big for the space described in the floor plan, and will disrupt the natural scale; counterspace, important to me, is lost; and if repairs are ever needed, the costs and complexity may severely shift the bang for the buck equation.

In the ultimate scheme of things, it's a terrific 'problem' to have, yeah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:46 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
so I'd have 12" of counter space to the right (before the turn to the perpendicular cabinets) and 15" to the left.
The minimum recommended landing area next to an oven is 15". And that is far less than I would be comfortable with.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:50 PM

25 posts, read 23,894 times
If the cabinet to the left of the stove is a double-wall-oven cabinet, why not just make it counter height since you won't need those ovens? Then maybe you could center the range for more room on both sides. You could put narrow upper cabinets or shelves on either side if that would look good to you. I've had a company out that did cabinet door and drawer replacements and you'd be surprised how well they can match existing cabinets. Since yours are from the sixties, maybe you could use a framed glass cabinet so only the frame would need to look similar.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:17 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainia View Post
If the cabinet to the left of the stove is a double-wall-oven cabinet, why not just make it counter height since you won't need those ovens? Then maybe you could center the range for more room on both sides. You could put narrow upper cabinets or shelves on either side if that would look good to you. I've had a company out that did cabinet door and drawer replacements and you'd be surprised how well they can match existing cabinets. Since yours are from the sixties, maybe you could use a framed glass cabinet so only the frame would need to look similar.
Not bad.. let's take it further?

What if the cabinets/closet? to the left of the stove housed a double wall oven? Then OP could get a gas cook top with a great, wide set of roll-out drawers under the stove. A shallow drawer under the cook top is amazingly handy, not to mention the nice, DEEP drawers below that hold pots, pans, etc.

Of course, we can't see the space IRL, so these ideas have probably been entertained and discarded...several times. I know how hard it is. I redesigned a kitchen five years ago and it came out great, but I was spent, so now I only renovate in my head....for others.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:45 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Hi, all. More replies below -- followed by info on an entire new thread with a totally different option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Is that the refrigerator on the range wall next to the passage towards the bathroom? If so, I'd consider moving it to the opposite wall backing on the TV room.
No, that was the double ovens (when I thought they could be 24"). The refrigerator IS on the other wall (it's where it is now, just opposite the double ovens). (I didn't label everything because in this thread I was focusing on the range. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I do sympathize with your challenge. During our recent remodel we went through every combination of range, wall oven, cooktop, 30", 36", 48" etc.
Thanks!! You know exactly what I'm going through, LOL!! It's all making me a bit insane. I designed the kitchen at my last house (which is now a rental) but the space itself was already pretty great -- not huge, 13' x 13'6", but with NO walking path through it or other weird "issues." THIS space, on the other hand, makes me do this a dozen times a day: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I don't have a lot to add except one thing that stuck out huge to me is having 12" and 15" of counter space on either side of this huge range. For us, and how we cook, that would be inadequate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The minimum recommended landing area next to an oven is 15". And that is far less than I would be comfortable with.
I've responded to the counter space question a few times. Again: 12" and 15" are both WAY more than I have now, and they are more than I had at my last house (at that house, it was 12" to the right and 9" to the left before the perpendicular counter started). So for me, regardless of generic guidelines (which are only that and can't work in every space), 12" and 15" would be fine (especially because if I turn slightly to the right, without even taking any steps, I have several feet of counter space on the perpendicular wall). And with a smaller range, I'd have even more than the 12" and 15".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainia View Post
If the cabinet to the left of the stove is a double-wall-oven cabinet, why not just make it counter height since you won't need those ovens? Then maybe you could center the range for more room on both sides.
This is exactly what WOULD be done if I go with the range option instead of the wall-ovens-plus-cooktop option. I would have cabinets on either side of the range. How large those cabinets would be would depend on the range size, but they would be way more than I have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
... What if the cabinets/closet? to the left of the stove housed a double wall oven? Then OP could get a gas cook top with a great, wide set of roll-out drawers under the stove. A shallow drawer under the cook top is amazingly handy, not to mention the nice, DEEP drawers below that hold pots, pans, etc.
Already discussed (in the post with the diagram, which is to scale). This option would leave me 15" TOTAL counter space around the cooktop. Alas, that is definitely not workable.

======

This thread has really made me think, Hmmm, maybe I should just relocate the kitchen somewhere else entirely? My living room is big (13'6" wide by 23'6" deep) with a large (5') entrance, a fireplace with a pellet insert (my main source of heat), hardwood floors, 3 windows, and a door directly to my 11x17 screened porch (my kitties' favorite hangout in the summer), which leads into my back yard (which is large and very private, with trees completely around the perimeter). Here's a photo of the living room (before I moved in!) ...

So ... what if I turn my LIVING ROOM into the kitchen? This could solve a LOT of problems, although there are a few concerns too. I am going to start a new thread to talk about this, since it's very different from what I was asking in THIS thread. (Here's the new thread: KITCHEN REMODEL redux -- turning my LIVING ROOM into the kitchen (PICS) .)

Old 02-27-2018, 08:52 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi, all. More replies below -- followed by info on an entire new thread with a totally different option!

No, that was the double ovens (when I thought they could be 24"). The refrigerator IS on the other wall (it's where it is now, just opposite the double ovens). (I didn't label everything because in this thread I was focusing on the range. )

Thanks!! You know exactly what I'm going through, LOL!! It's all making me a bit insane. I designed the kitchen at my last house (which is now a rental) but the space itself was already pretty great -- not huge, 13' x 13'6", but with NO walking path through it or other weird "issues." THIS space, on the other hand, makes me do this a dozen times a day: .

I've responded to the counter space question a few times. Again: 12" and 15" are both WAY more than I have now, and they are more than I had at my last house (at that house, it was 12" to the right and 9" to the left before the perpendicular counter started). So for me, regardless of generic guidelines (which are only that and can't work in every space), 12" and 15" would be fine (especially because if I turn slightly to the right, without even taking any steps, I have several feet of counter space on the perpendicular wall). And with a smaller range, I'd have even more than the 12" and 15".

This is exactly what WOULD be done if I go with the range option instead of the wall-ovens-plus-cooktop option. I would have cabinets on either side of the range. How large those cabinets would be would depend on the range size, but they would be way more than I have now.

Already discussed (in the post with the diagram, which is to scale). This option would leave me 15" TOTAL counter space around the cooktop. Alas, that is definitely not workable.

======

This thread has really made me think, Hmmm, maybe I should just relocate the kitchen somewhere else entirely? My living room is big (13'6" wide by 23'6" deep) with a large (5') entrance, a fireplace with a pellet insert (my main source of heat), hardwood floors, 3 windows, and a door directly to my 11x17 screened porch (my kitties' favorite hangout in the summer), which leads into my back yard (which is large and very private, with trees completely around the perimeter). Here's a photo of the living room (before I moved in!) ...

So ... what if I turn my LIVING ROOM into the kitchen? This could solve a LOT of problems, although there are a few concerns too. I am going to start a new thread to talk about this, since it's very different from what I was asking in THIS thread. (Here's the new thread: KITCHEN REMODEL redux -- turning my LIVING ROOM into the kitchen (PICS) .)
Well, I have to admit I'm a bit envious. I've been waffling about just putting in new countertops and painting the kitchen for two years. It's all I can afford to do at this time (or ever, lol.)

Old 02-27-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, I have to admit I'm a bit envious. I've been waffling about just putting in new countertops and painting the kitchen for two years. It's all I can afford to do at this time (or ever, lol.)
Oh, I'm on a budget, too! I've lived with the hideous kitchen for almost 6 years now while I save for the remodel -- did not want to go into debt (although I may get a low-interest HELOC if I want to get lots of other projects done at/around the same time). I really like the 48" range I posted about in this thread, but when I come down to earth I realize I don't really NEED it -- a 30" range would likely be fine and cost half as much.

The way I justify the expense is, I'm going to be in this house for AT LEAST 8-10 more years (maybe forever), so I'd really like to have a beautiful, functional kitchen to hang out in with friends (or just my kitties, for that matter!). If I "amortize" the cost over several years, it doesn't seem so bad.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
HELOCs are certainly useful. Just keep in mind that the tax deduction for them is history.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 313 times
We have also been considering the Hallman ranges for our new kitchen (which will, coincidentally, be located in our present "living room" or "parlor"). If you haven't seen, Hallman sells the dual fuel, two-oven range in a 40-inch version (you lose 2 burners but still have the griddle and 4 burners) and in matte graphite. This would give you back some of that counter space. It looks pretty awesome. We plan to purchase the dual fuel (LP) 40-inch matte graphite, with bronze trim. Most likely will order through Home Depot and possibly purchase the extended warranty through them. If we get ours before you have yours, I will post more info! Best wishes.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsalis View Post
We have also been considering the Hallman ranges for our new kitchen (which will, coincidentally, be located in our present "living room" or "parlor"). If you haven't seen, Hallman sells the dual fuel, two-oven range in a 40-inch version (you lose 2 burners but still have the griddle and 4 burners) and in matte graphite. This would give you back some of that counter space. It looks pretty awesome. We plan to purchase the dual fuel (LP) 40-inch matte graphite, with bronze trim. Most likely will order through Home Depot and possibly purchase the extended warranty through them. If we get ours before you have yours, I will post more info! Best wishes.
Thanks, but I've already done 90% of the remodeling (my last post in this thread was more than a year ago ), and I went with my top choice: a gas cooktop (30", 5 burners with various BTUs) and a double electric oven (convection microwave, which 95% of the time I use as a small convection oven, plus a regular-size oven). They have both worked out GREAT!!

I actually HAD looked at the 40" Hallman model BUT it is a very, very odd size for the U.S. market. Most standard ovens are 30" or 36", same with cooktops, so to leave 40" of space for the cooking appliance is really bizarre -- if you ever have to get rid of the oven, your space simply won't work for the vast majority of other options in the U.S. I actually emailed Hallman asking them about this -- it seems like a 42" model would have been better (or 39"), as those would have been in multiples of 3" like virtually all other models in the U.S. But they ignored me and my question. Oh, well.

In any case, please start a new thread telling us about your kitchen! Lots of us (including me!) LOVE those before-and-after threads ... and the more pictures, the better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House