Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it customary for guest to wear shoes inside your house? What are you from?
Yes. from USA 220 64.52%
No. from USA 89 26.10%
Yes. From Europe 6 1.76%
No. From Europe 7 2.05%
Yes. Other foreign countries 3 0.88%
No. Other foreign countries 16 4.69%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times

Advertisements

I have never told anyone to take their shoes off when they come into our house though I have told people no outside shoes on my grandmother's antique oriental rug. But, this is New England and 9 times out of 10 when someone comes over they take off their shoes-especially in winter. We do the same thing when we go to someone's house. My husband & his sister (who is staying with us for an extended stay), were taught to ALWAYS wear shoes. The two of them have indoor slippers they change into as soon as they come in the house. Me, I go barefoot and have been known to make bare footprints in the snow. (Ok, only if there is a bit of snow on the porch if I have to go out there to get the mail.)

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 03:07 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times
Default Here in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
This irks me to no end. Those same "guests" that wear shoes in MY house, don't wear them in THEIR homes. Mine is FAR cleaner on its worst day than theirs on its best.

I have a bench right at the door, shoe storage under the bench, a few different kinds of slippers in different sizes, have ASKED for them to remove shoes frequently (most are family), they see that we aren't wearing shoes...

I wonder if they never notice that I show them the same respect I expect by shucking my shoes when coming into their homes....
my wife was from a colder / muddier climate and they have the practice of taking off their shoes when they enter their home. I did not grow up that way, only Asians did that as it was their culture and I got it. It made me feel uncomfortable when i went to my in-laws and I am pretty sure that when people here in the U.S. came into my house and they saw that nobody was wearing shoes it made them feel like they had to take off their shoes too. Most people here hate doing that as it is not the general culture. Sure if it is muddy out or if you might have grease or doggy doo-doo on your shoes yes take them off. I found the whole thing just made my guests uncomfortable and I hate it.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:52 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Arggh. I voted yes by mistake, so poll tally will be incorrect. No, no one wears outdoor shoes in my house. I'm from the USA.

Wearing outdoor shoes in the house is gross.

Because my podiatrist wants me to have arch support, I wear (we wear) indoor-only slides.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:31 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
I live on a farm but keep a very clean house. There is no way I would ask my guests to remove their shoes unless they are muddy, and even then I would merely suggest we remain in the sunroom and not enter the other living areas. Of course I do not have nor want wall to wall carpet, only large area rugs in the living room and family room. But with regular street shoes, and their smooth soles, it is very easy to wipe them on the special rug in the entry way of the house. Voila, clean shoes.

Last edited by luv4horses; 03-22-2018 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
If I had a nice light colored carpet, and I wanted to keep it clean and new looking, instead of having guests take off their shoes, I would simply supply them with shoe covers to put over their shoes. They fit all sizes, they're inexpensive and they suit their purpose, and nobody feels embarrassed by taking off their shoes and exposing smelly feet or ugly feet, or holes in their socks.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:44 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Arggh. I voted yes by mistake, so poll tally will be incorrect. No, no one wears outdoor shoes in my house. I'm from the USA.

Wearing outdoor shoes in the house is gross.

Because my podiatrist wants me to have arch support, I wear (we wear) indoor-only slides.
I don’t think it’s a mistake.

Americans keep their shoes on....Canadians don’t.

Keeping your outdoor shoes on in Canada is a big no no,
it is understood you remove your shoes at the door.
Don’t have to ask/tell.

For most of Canada it makes sense, for 4 or 5 months of the year we are
wearing winter boots, it is slushy, messy outside.

Southern US it makes sense to keep your outdoor shoes on, especially California.

As a side note, when I watch US TV shows, you never see anyone take off their shoes,
they just walk on inside the house.
Don’t see anyone taking off their shoes in canadian TV shows either,
so maybe it is also lets not waste any screen time being too realistic.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:04 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I never wear shoe inside my house for cleanliness. I do ask my guests to remove their shoes and provide them with a slipper if they need. Is that unusual?

Do most people coming to other people's houses walking inside with their shoes?

A neighbor has a prominent sign on the front door, that no shoes are permitted to be worn inside. But I have never seen anyone take off their shoes, before entering the house, including the neighbors, themselves.

I go in and out of my house, several dozen times a day. I wear only running shoes and to take them off and on each time, I'd have to lace and unlace them. I do have to vacuum up what seems like bushels of fir needles, tracked in from my many trees, but I'd spend an hour a day, taking shoes off and putting them on, if I followed that protocol.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Canadian here.

In Canada, its a normal thing to remove shoes at the door, without being asked to do so. Many furniture or appliance delivery men carry slip on disposable boot/ shoe covers that they put over their foot wear before entering the house.

It seems that some people here have forgotten about winter weather conditions........I can assure you that we have boot drip trays just inside our home's entrance door, and many office reception areas have them as well to place winter overshoes in.

XXXX.
It’s the same in Minnesota. There can be a sea of shoes near the door at a party.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:35 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Keeping your outdoor shoes on in Canada is a big no no,
it is understood you remove your shoes at the door.
Don’t have to ask/tell.

For most of Canada it makes sense, for 4 or 5 months of the year we are
wearing winter boots, it is slushy, messy outside.
I'd take off my shoes, too, if I had just walked through snow or mud. But it has to be about more than weather, because otherwise why take off your shoes when they are perfectly dry?

Old 03-22-2018, 07:21 PM

87 posts, read 95,859 times
:/ IMO, that's rude, to come rolling up into someone's house and try to tromp through their home w/out at least first making the attempt to ask if you should remove your shoes. Most times, even if they say it's alright, if i see other shoes sitting by the door, it's my first clue that i shouldn't even bother to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House