Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:40 AM

187 posts, read 128,714 times

Advertisements

Sorry if there is a thread for this already. Whenever we open the garage door, either from the button on the wall or the door opener in our car, the door will start going up then back down.

Also when we try to close it, it'll start going down then back up.....

We already had maintenance come check (we're renting), but of course the door worked perfectly when maintenance was here.

But last night it went back to not working again.
Ive been researching the issue online; I'm assuming it must be the sensor.

When maintenance came, they said it could be dirt or something blocking the sensors, so he swept and cleaned around the bottom of the door.

I'm not sure how old the sensors are. The rental company trnds to never keep up with the properties...I have a lot of maintenance issues with this house.

Anyway so does anyone know why it goes back to not operating properly? This began several weeks ago and has gotten worse. It takes a while to get maintenance scheduled....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
I suggest you get on the schedule as soon as possible-
No reason for you to mess with it- if you do further damage its replacement could be on you.

Make sure you emphasize the inconvenience of not being able to use the garage- perhaps that will light a fire under someone's ass!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 AM

Yea i said its EXTREMELY frustrating having to pull out, park, manually close it, walk out the house...but why does it work sometimes and not others?!?!?

I WISH it messed up when that maintenance guy was here so he could see it.

I'll call them today.

Ugh but could sensors eventually go bad??

Old 06-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Well I called them and got the maintenance guy's personal number. He said he's booked for a week but he'll get back to me.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
I have noticed that if I hold my garage door opener remote button down just a wee bit too long it does the same thing.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:01 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Likely a frayed, or a loose, controller wire...very tricky to track. Just takes time and patience, but it will be there somewhere. The vibration from the door makes it worse, or intermittent, or frustratingly, not at all...until the next time. Extreme patience to track every wire...and then do it again...and it will show up somewhere.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:07 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Mine did that when the controller unit on the ceiling was going out. It eventually quit altogether. It was 18 years old at the time. Since the ex had backed into the door on three separate occasions when he was having a hissy fit about bad golf rounds, the whole door was ready to be replaced anyway. I did the entire set-up at once. No problems since then.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
Ours does that quite often. Didn't know it could really be fixed. I just "rock it", as I say. I'm good at it. Say, I want it to go down. It starts going down, stops, starts to go back up. I don't let it. I stop it right there. So it's already got a little headway down. I push the button again to go down. Sometimes it's a bit of a repeat repeat but it really doesn't take long and it gets into gear. I do this with the remotes or at the side door.

So, it can be fixed. Hmmm. Maybe I'll quit rocking and start spending a little.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
With the opener disconnected mechanically from the door see if the door moves freely up and down by hand...

I managed a rental with intermediate door problems... it had a wood door that became much heavier when it rained... plus the wood swelled a little... all summer and winter the door was fine... rainy season it was 50/50 if it would fully open...

Several coats of paint, adjusting and lubricating the track and rollers plus installing a commercial rated opener was the cure...

Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Sensors should not affect the opening of the door. They should only reverse the door if something breaks the beam on the way down to prevent crushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House