Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:04 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,500,558 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for an old house in the Bay Area, and I came across this listing: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...18536361_zpid/

The house needs tons of work, which I am open to doing if the price is right. (Everything around here gets bid up quite high, so that is TBD.) But something about the front of the house (besides the awful blue aluminum siding) just isn't right. It looks like the front porch has been enclosed based on the brick columns and interior woodwork, but the double-wide door to the dining room makes me think it might be original. What do you all think?

In any case, do you think the house would look better with an open porch? I'm leaning towards yes, but it seems like the porch would be a little on the large side if it's opened up. Not to mention trying to figure out what to do with those double doors to the dining room...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 02:36 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I suspect that you would not want to open up the enclosed porch not just because of the configuration of the doors, but also because of what that would do to the "livable space" -- you'd be making a rather modest home even smaller...

The colors are really unattractive / distracting -- not just exterior but interior. In fact they are so bad that I would worry once you strip everything down and try to go with more appropriate finishes (ideally more exposed wood grain is worth recovering on interior built-ins...) you might end up then deciding that to make things "look right" you will end up spending a literal fortune on kitchen & bath cabinetry. -- Even a modestly sized kitchen done with high end cabinets could easily be a six figure project -- West End House | The Kennebec Company

Old 07-12-2018, 03:16 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
How handy are you? There is a LOT of work to do in that house.

Also, if you are serious about making an offer, make sure to get an inspection by someone who is familiar with houses of that vintage and knows what they are looking for in terms of issues.

Personally I would rather open the porch back up, the way it was intended. Yes you'd be losing space in a small house, but that just doesn't feel like cozy livable space to me anyway and I think I'd use it more as outdoor space on a porch, if it was a nice street to sit out on. Unfortunately that doesn't really seem to be the case though.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/55...4d-122.3466428

Nice house across the street but it looks like it's pretty close to a heavily commercial street

Old 07-12-2018, 04:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Get rid of the brick

Old 07-12-2018, 05:30 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,500,558 times
Thanks for the input so far.

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a contractor, and he ballparked the cost of fixing the house with average finishes (not ideal with a home of this vintage, of course) and it's feasible for me, assuming the bidding stays under 400K. However, the correct finishes would be considerably more expensive, as noted. That gives me some hesitation considering the property backs onto a tire shop and is next to an apartment complex.

I live alone, so square footage is not a big deal. In fact, this house has more square footage than most in the area, including three I have already put offers in on (and lost due to all cash, etc.). Those have all been in the ~1,000 sq. ft. range, which suits me just fine.

I agree that the brick should go, but it isn't a veneer, so I might not want to get too carried away yet. More cause for concern, I suppose.

Last edited by davdaven; 07-12-2018 at 05:40 PM..

Old 07-12-2018, 05:40 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,141,672 times
I like the brick. I'd leave that. I like the details in the house that are there. It's cute!

One thing I notice is there's no outlets. Two total in the living room and two in the kitchen.

These old houses just didn't predict the number of electrical devices we would have in the future. New wiring and new panel to add capacity I'm sure... invisible money that needs to be spent.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:02 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I like the brick. I'd leave that. I like the details in the house that are there. It's cute!

One thing I notice is there's no outlets. Two total in the living room and two in the kitchen.

These old houses just didn't predict the number of electrical devices we would have in the future. New wiring and new panel to add capacity I'm sure... invisible money that needs to be spent.
There's a good chance it's got knob and tube wiring.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:25 PM

15,536 posts, read 10,512,774 times
I see what you are saying OP, the front of the house doesn't look right. Are there any old photos of it at the library or courthouse? An old phone will tell you who used to live there, you could ask their descendants.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
I was born and raised in the east Bay Area, and the house looks completely normal to me as far as aesthetics. Just looks like a normal old small house with a walk-up front entrance. It's possible that it was originally an open porch, but I don't think it looks weird, at all, from the street.

For security, I'd leave the porch enclosed. If you're okay with the neighborhood, I don't think you should over-think any changes to the house.

Easy, cheap fixes would be to simply paint the brick. That's what I'd do. I'd want to deal with the flooring issues - can't tell exactly what's going on, but old funky carpet? If so, there's probably some decent wood flooring under it. I'd spend some money on the hardwood flooring to make it look nice, paint the bricks and otherwise, start to live with it as-is.

Contractors will always find ways for you to spend money. Not that they're evil, at all, but it's their livelihood to see a space and imagine it different/better.

But, I personally, really like little old houses. I'd at most do some painting, spend money on the flooring, and then just live with it for a while - at least a year. You'd be surprised how you just get accustomed to a space after a year, and decide it's just fine. And if not, you have very specific needs that relate directly to living in that space and how it functions in your day to day life. Then, you can address those.

My guess, is that at this price, it's not a super safe neighborhood. So, better to keep that porch enclosed and not have to worry about it. If you decide later on you really wished you'd left it enclosed, that would be an expensive re-do. Try living in it for a year, and then you'll know if you really want to lose that security, and the ability to regulate temperature in that space, too.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:07 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
I don't see the money!
At anywhere near $400k, you'll be close to the top end of the market. Then, with all the "work" it "needs"- it's over priced! Remember, time is money- that "sweat equity".

And on top of that, it doesn't sound like a very desirable "neighborhood" (notice- I didn't say "location").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House