Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 PM

124 posts, read 170,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Put a traditional trap in a paper sack. Discard whole assembly when mouse is caught.

Do squirrels freak you out? They are rodents, too.
This is a great idea as long as traditional traps are trap that kill on the spot. I really dislike glue traps. Used to live in an apartment when I was younger and my mom used glue traps and had me discard. Hated doing it since the mouse was still alive a good portion of the time. I use the traps that usually kill on the spot now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 06:03 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
My aprtment, I have seen mice a few times, just one but on seperate occassions.
I hate mice, they freak me out and cause me to lose my appeittie.

So I wanted to know...
-What are the best no see/no touch mousetraps...or do no see/no touch not work as well? (And are they easy to clean)?

-I have a studio, 400 sq feet, how many traps do I need to set? If I use the cheap glue I can set many, but no touch, no see cost more so I can set a doen.

Thanks.
If you are past teenage immaturity, it should be simple to handle standard traps. Use a pair of latex gloves to remove them from the traps so you don't get germs. Watch some youtube about mice and look at how cute their faces whiskers and ears are. They are frightened of YOU. Yes they are pests and cause damage but they are still just itty bitty creatures.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:07 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Snap traps work well if you bait them properly. Some mice are practiced enough to get the food without setting off the spring. I once had to set TWO traps right near each other to catch the mouse. I angled them so that if the mouse managed to avoid being snapped by the trap he ate off of, there was little room for him to avoid setting off the other trap.

Yes, that did the trick.

I will never forget the night when a SNAP woke me up. I quickly realized what the noise was from when I heard the slightly more subtle creaks of the upside down trap rocking back and forth as the mouse spasmed before dying.

If this grosses you out, you definitely should hire an exterminator. We won’t talk about the mouse **** and poop, and maybe blood, that you find where the mouse croaked.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Put a traditional trap in a paper sack. Discard whole assembly when mouse is caught.

Do squirrels freak you out? They are rodents, too.

Rodents travel against the wall. Putting the trap in a sack will not work. The trap needs to be right up against the wall. Perpendicular for snap traps, with the pedal toward the wall. Parallel for glue traps, as this exposes a greater surface area along the wall.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:48 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Best No See/No Touch Mosue Trap--if any

Is that a trap for mice that can't read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
My aprtment, I have seen mice a few times, just one but on seperate occassions.
I hate mice, they freak me out and cause me to lose my appeittie.

So I wanted to know...
-What are the best no see/no touch mousetraps...or do no see/no touch not work as well? (And are they easy to clean)?

-I have a studio, 400 sq feet, how many traps do I need to set? If I use the cheap glue I can set many, but no touch, no see cost more so I can set a doen.

Thanks.
I've never seen anything better than the standard snap trap. Bait them with a dab of peanut butter.

If you're squeamish, get a dozen of them from Home Depot or Amazon.com. Once you hear the snap, pick up the entire thing and toss it.

Remember: If you build a better mousetrap, better mice will beat a path to your door....

Old 08-14-2018, 07:33 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Rodents travel against the wall. Putting the trap in a sack will not work. The trap needs to be right up against the wall. Perpendicular for snap traps, with the pedal toward the wall. Parallel for glue traps, as this exposes a greater surface area along the wall.
Beg to differ. I've successfully caught many mice without putting a snap trap against a wall. I've put them behind trash cans, boxes on the floor, behind furniture, in closets with the door open, inside cupboards, places the mouse feels it isn't in plain view of the room. Putting a snap trap in a bag or cardboard box can work....you just have to make sure the bag/box is big enough to allow the bar of the trap to flip over completely. May have to scatter some crumbs into the opening to lure the mouse to the trap inside.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:34 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I used these and they worked ok. Occassionally the mice would figure out how to get to the peanut butter bait without getting caught

https://www.target.com/p/d-con-174-n...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

What ultimately worked was an exterminator putting out bait boxes where they eat it and go back to wherever and don't come back

Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
One, hiring an exterminator for mice and or even rats does *NOT* mean they will return to dispose of caught/dead rodents.

Will they put down bait and or set traps? Yes, but often what happens afterwards is your own affair. That is if try calling said exterminator in middle of night or any other out of business hours and say "there is a mouse caught in trap, or whatever" at best he might say "So? throw it away". At worse something that cannot be repeated in a family forum.

This being said there are various "no sight" mouse traps on market. Some work better than others.

https://www.amazon.com/View-Touch-Co.../dp/B00489F88S

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/bes...l-guide-216570

My personal favorite and has never let me down yet; the Victor mouse zapper.
https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Electr.../dp/B000E1RIUU

It's the electric chair for mice (there is a larger sized unit for rats as well), and works a treat.

Thing is covered so you don't see the zapped mousey. An indictor light flashes to tell when you've a kill. Pick up unit (can wear gloves if you like), open lid and shake out fried mouse into rubbish bag. If you are truly squeamish, turn head other way while dumping the crispy fried mouse.

Clean, reset trap and place back on duty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8l8f7XVNM

Old 08-15-2018, 03:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Here is one example. The idea is that the mouse goes inside, so you do not get exposed to the dead body and the germs of the normal mouse traps, because you throw the whole thing into the garbage. Yuk! Here is what I've used. Easy and no mess. https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-traps/7338809

Also, keep them away (and spiders) with aroma oils, applied to cotton balls and placed around your apt., under your couch, behind your doors in cupboards etc. Mice will not stay.
Here is a link for those oils....I simply buy the little bottles, almost any big box store or health food store. One tip....I found the peppermint oil too over powering in small spaces. I use rosemary oil, or lavender oil. http://how-to-get-rid-of-mice.com/mo...ellent-smells/

Last edited by JanND; 08-15-2018 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Move out.
Thankfully in all my years of home ownership I never had to address this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House