Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 06:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times

Advertisements

A few years ago my daughter painted something artsy directly on her bedroom wall. Last week when I moved out of the house I tried to paint over it with Kilz. Turns out some of the paint she used was oil paint! All this time I was thinking it was acrylic craft paint. The kilz just smeared it around. She rubbed off what excess she could and we put a few coats of Kilz on it, but it is still a smeary mess and I'm not confident that any number of layers of primer or paint will ever work.

WWYD?

The only thought I've had is to get some paintable wallpaper to put over it, then paint on top of that.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. My tenant was NOT happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 06:32 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I would just replace the one or two sheets of drywall. The only problem is if the house is already rented, it is a mess for a couple days. Wallpaper is a patch, but is faster and cheap.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
A few years ago my daughter painted something artsy directly on her bedroom wall. Last week when I moved out of the house I tried to paint over it with Kilz. Turns out some of the paint she used was oil paint! All this time I was thinking it was acrylic craft paint. The kilz just smeared it around. She rubbed off what excess she could and we put a few coats of Kilz on it, but it is still a smeary mess and I'm not confident that any number of layers of primer or paint will ever work.

WWYD?

The only thought I've had is to get some paintable wallpaper to put over it, then paint on top of that.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. My tenant was NOT happy.
Why would you have a tenant in place AFTER discovering any problem with paint? That makes no sense t me.

Go talk to your local paint salesman (and this doesn't normally include Home Depot, unless your local store is unusual), and figure out what you have to do.

But, I really don't understand why any new tenant is having an issue with this.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:05 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Wipe away as much as possible with cotton clothes/rags and lacquer thinner. Just don't saturate the wall. When the oil color(s) is gone let dry thoroughly, lightly sand, prime/seal, lightly sand, ready for paint.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:18 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
Which Kilz? They're not all the same.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
As K'ledgeBldr, but use oil-based primer.

Also if it's watercolor it's worse. That stuff comes through oil. B-I-N might block it.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:35 AM

400 posts, read 573,821 times
We had something similar in our house. BIN primer. It's expensive, but worth every penny.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
The reason I suggested replacing the sheetrock is a case of BTDT. When I was a very young child, my father took a notion to paint a 4' x 7' farm-life mural above the living room sofa - directly on the wall, using a wide molding for a frame. When he came to his senses a few years later and tried to paint over it, the impasto never did get fully removed and faint shadows of trees and cows remained.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:01 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The reason I suggested replacing the sheetrock is a case of BTDT. When I was a very young child, my father took a notion to paint a 4' x 7' farm-life mural above the living room sofa - directly on the wall, using a wide molding for a frame. When he came to his senses a few years later and tried to paint over it, the impasto never did get fully removed and faint shadows of trees and cows remained.
The percentage of pigments in true artist quality oil paint, and the weird super-slow drying base they use are totally different than any interior or exterior paint that you'd encounter in a house. The stuff will bleed through any kind of primer, even the stinkiest shellac based stuff, because it will basically prevent the primer from even fully "curing".

Cover with 1/4' drywall is the only truly permanent fix.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:26 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
As a couple others have mentioned, you have to use the oil based Kilz. It is in the white can with red letters. The water based latex version of Kilz sucks and isn't worth wasting money on. Another excellent brand is Zinsser primer. They also have both water based and oil based. You need the oil based regardless of what brand you choose.

As always, the surface should be first prepped properly. All holes and rough spots should be filled, cracks between drywall and trim caulked and all surfaces sanded. Then the primer should be sanded and dusted off prior to painting. Painting in your home is 90% prep work and 10% actual painting. I go in some peoples houses and it is obvious they have painted right over walls and trim without properly prepping them first.....looks like crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House